Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DeSoto T1 wetsuits
Quote | Reply
**We are not finished though. We are currently working on a concept that is so simple and so obvious, that **when we reveal it, you (and our competition) will see it, like everything we have ever done, is not a **gimmick. This concept is the last step that can possibly be taken to make a wetsuit faster. Stay tuned!

above is a quote from the DeSoto website concerning their T1 wetsuits. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Also anyone who has their T1 - please comment on the ease of removal of the top as shown on DeSoto's website.

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto T1 wetsuits [TRex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simplicity and fast... let me guess... if it's speed, there would be two areas to increase speed. 1) faster removal 2) faster swim speed.

My guess it would be faster removal because faster swimming speed would require something more than a wetsuit is able to provide. But, how?... now that's a good question. ...Could it be a change in the material (i.e., more flexible, slicker or etc) ...or, could be change in design. My guess is change in design... I haven't noticed anything material being produced that would make a radical difference (but, I wouldn't rule out a combination of materials that could make a big difference).

If I wanted to change the design of the T1, I would make a minor design change that would make it easier (therefore, faster) to remove. It would be something that would involve a zipper or equivalent place in a small yet crucial place. After careful thought and experimenting, I say the design change will be a very small (2-3 inches - maybe) velcro closed slit located around the neck. There would be 4 places I could think of: 1 small slit located on the front of the neck or back. Or, two small slits on the shoulders.

How I came that solution was simple. What I did was think about when I have a tie on and thought how difficult it would be to remove it by pulling it over my head... remove the top two-three buttons and loosen the tie and viola ... dress shirt pulls right off. Then, I put a tight T-shirt on and thought about how I could get it off quicker...I came to the same conclusion I had with the dress shirt. So, I place a close line clip around the neck of a looser fitting T-shirt and remove them one at a time (and two at a time) and noticed which was easier. I was amazed how a simple 2-3 extra inches around the neck made it easier to remove.

Ah, well, that's my guess... and, boy did I look stupid with a t-shirt with close line clips on it to trying out my thoughts. Then, I grabed my T-1 and said... now, that makes sense. I then grabbed my Piel and my old QR and said, ...now, it makes even more sense.

As a final note, I looked at the bottom and noticed one more thing... a small slit at the leg would also make an equally large improvement on it's removal. Now, that may help make the T1 easier to remove... but, it's a long way from being easier than the Piel.

Design change is my guess... a design change that makes the openings wider for removal.

FWIW Joe Moya

The only problem I see with velcro is that the overlap could violate ITU neoprene thickness rules... but, that could be easily overcame.
Last edited by: Joe M: Mar 24, 03 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Anyone have an idea what this could be?"

i do. but i can't tell you. it is pretty neat. i wouldn't wait for it, tho. it's going to be pricey.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto T1 wetsuits [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any rumor as to when this new idea will be out?

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that i don't know. it's not imminent.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply