Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vision Tech bars
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about getting the Vision Tech bars. I have a P3 (55") with the standard Profile Airwing base bar and Syntace Streamliner (medium) extensions, and a 100mm stem. I'm 5'11", 145. None of the shops near me carry the Vision Techs (Atlanta), so how do you size for these? I like bars on the shorter side, and a fairly aggressively low position. Small? Med?, which size width (40?) Which model? (Pro, Tri-Max, Tri-Max Plus) It looks like you can get the Pro's or Tri-Max's, and then always add the other pad option (for higher, more comfortable position). I'm not really worried about the weight of them. I like the aero profile and especially like the idea of super-stiff bars.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Any tips, Tom D?

Thanks,

Daniel.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech bars [tri_db] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recomend you go to a reputable shop that knows something about TT/tri bike fit to get set up on these. Since you are set with your frame, they may or may not work for you. And you will need someone who knows what they are doing to select the proper size b/c they are not adjustable. Since you sound like the long and lanky type I would guess you would go with the 40cm width. I am your height and 180 lbs so I am fairly broad-shouldered and I was comfortable with 42.

The trimax plus has arm rests that are higher, and provide some shock absorption with their design, so it is designed with comfort in mind. With the trimax you get lower. Generally the trimax is recommended for sprint/olympic and the trimax plus with its enhanced comfort features is recommended for long course. But this is subject to personal preferance, I am sure plenty of people race ironman on the trimax, and I did several sprints on my trimax plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like both Vision Tech and the new Hed aerobars. I just put the Hed bars on my new Yaqui Carbo. For Vision Tech I see a tendancy for them to size too large. In other words, figure out what you think you may need from the Vision Tech website then go one size smaller. Either that, or be prepared to cut some bar off. You want to be careful cutting Vision Techs. It is best avoided as you change the geometry of the grip area. I hope that is of some assistance.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech bars [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tom. Your advice is helpful. Instead of mediums, I think I'll try smalls, width 40.

Do you know if they've discontinued their "Pro" model? I've seen a couple of "Pro" medium/42's in various used classifieds. But the link describing the "Pro" model in detail is gone from their website, and dealers seem to only stock the Tri-Max and/or Tri-Max Plus models now. If you stock Vision Techs, I'd be happy to get them from you.

Regards,

Daniel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
If my arm length is on with what VT's measurements say...do you think it would be better to get the size smaller. My elbow to knuckle is 15.5. This fits with thier medium ((14.5-15.5). Their small is up to 14.5. Any advice? Tri-Max Plus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you may want to check the new aero base clip on combo they make...
you have the choice between
aero base + clip on alu for $69 + $79
or
aero base + clip on carbon for an extra $60...

then add $70 and you get a pair of aero brake levers (it's BS...the $20 dia compe will do, but the vision tech look nice)...

all this available on coloradocyclist.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should wait, ive been trading emails with Peter from VT and they are coming out with carbon VT's with both a flat and normal (angled) basebar. MSRP will be $399. He sent me a pic, they look like VT's but with carbon and the elbow pad mounting has changed to allow for wider/narrower elbows. Also he sent me a pic for the cross section of the new VT's, the old VT's and the heds and the new Vts are way more aero looking---ie thinner and aero shaped. Also they will have carbon brake levers as an addition

im not affiliated with VT, just love their customer service and product

jeremyb

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech bars [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I am interested in the tri-max plus is b/c I have found them for $245. Another reason is b/c of reading that they are designed for longer distance races. Is there any validity that they are better designed for longer distance/hilly courses? Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech bars [crowrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has anyone verified the weights VT is claiming on the new line, crazy light, good value and swank looks?

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Tech bars [spaceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Vision Tech bars have been delayed again. We are looking at June I am told in any numbers. I hope I am wrong. That is what I heard the last time I checked.

I am hearing that pricing and the weights will be what they advertised though. I anticipate a pretty impressive product when they become available based on the prototypes I saw in Las Vegas.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well maybe Peter at VT was pulling my chain but he said just yesterday in an email ready in April.....I guess its one of those wait and see type of things.

Yes Tom, i agree they looked really nice in the pic he sent, based on the pricepoint they should sell well, eh?

jeremyb

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply