Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago?
Quote | Reply
Well the title says it all. I'm looking for a sports medicine doctor in downtown Chicago.

I had what I thought was achillies tendonitis, but now it appears to be quite a bit more so after three weeks of rest, little improvement, and starting to go crazy, it's time to cave in and get this thing looked at by a pro.

I know there's a bunch of Chicago peeps out here and I'm sure some of you have had to make this type of visit, so I'm open to suggestions (minus Atletico... I'll never go there!).

Thanks!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a portion of an email from a friend of mine in Chicago, (I have the same achilles issue)

Hey Jeff!I’ve had a terrible Achilles problem in both legs during the past month. The burn starts right at the Achilles and runs through my calves….feels brutal even walking around the house! I’ve started seeing a chiropractor who specializes in active release and along with my recurring IT Band issue he has been working on my Achilles. I was on vacation last week so I couldn’t see him but in just two visits I was back to running up to 13 miles. I am seeing him tonight and Saturday to continue and work out my legs.

www.activebodychiro.com
I have since started with Active release therapy and hoping it works (2 sessions so far). Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about Dr. Lisa Schoene (pronounced "shay-nee"), but couldn't find any contact info. If you can find a copy of Chicago Athlete or Windy City Sports, I'm sure you'll find her in there. If you're able to get to the 'burbs, specifically Bannockburn, there's an ART guy there who performed miracles for my wife and several other folks - Dr. Stuart Yoss. Best of luck!

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem was kinda the opposite. The pain has gone down to the heel area on both sides of the achillies. I can spin on a bike fine, have issues walking, running is out of the question and if I want to get out of the saddle and sprint, forget that too!

Ugh.

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I developed a case of plantar fasciatis this fall and saw Dr. Nicola. He helped and I was able to complete the Austin Marathon in February. He is a marathoner himself. I also know a few other triathletes that are working with him. He has a very friendly demeanor.

Terry L Nicola, MD MS. Uic Sports Med and Human Perfor Ctr 839 W Roosevelt Rd Ste 102 Chicago IL 60608. Phone: (312) 355-4404. Board Certified in PM&R:

Dr. Nuber is the surgeon for the Chicago Bears. He replaced the ACL's in both my knees. At the same time he is not surgery happy. He will try other things first, but can tell the severity of the problem immediatley. He is very straight forward. If you are looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear he is not a good choice. He is brutally honest. The only reason I did not see him for my foot problems was because he was too busy at the time.

Gordon W. Nuber, MD
Board Certified in:
  • Orthopaedic Surgery

Areas of Clinical Interest:
  • Shoulder, knee and elbow injuries
  • Arthroscopy shoulder, knee and elbow
  • Sports medicine
Office Locations: 680 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611
Ph 312-664-6848
Fax 312-664-9274
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [tex7chem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I actually got in for 4/26!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nuber does great work. I have gone to him a few times over the years, he repaired my cousin's achilles when he shreded it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to second Dr. Yoss @ Bannockburn Chiropractic. Offices in Northfield and Bannockburn.

If you get lucky you might run into Brian Urlacher in the waiting room ( I did once... Heh ).

-Chris

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Nuber....he's as good as it gets. Did my shoulder a few years back and I couldn't be happier.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had plantar facitis 6 or 7 years ago and wwent to Dr. Terry Nicola at UI Circle campus, he provided a good treatment plan and rehab suggestions, no problem since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving this old thread because I am considering professional assistance with an Achilles issue I've been struggling with for about a year. Is Nicola still a good choice for running injury consultation in Chicago?
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the folks mentioned above (Nicola, Schoene, Nuber and Yoss) are still some of the go-tos in the city. Another recommendation would be to the Drs at the Running Institute (Drs Chin, and Natarajan).
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
All the folks mentioned above (Nicola, Schoene, Nuber and Yoss) are still some of the go-tos in the city. Another recommendation would be to the Drs at the Running Institute (Drs Chin, and Natarajan).

Can't recommend Chin enough....he literally saved my life 7 years ago. And I do mean literally (had a DVT in my calf, didn't know it and told me to go the to ER). He has also helped me through numerous injuries, including Achilles issues, stress fracture, PF, et al.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You couldn't do better than Dr. Phil Skiba DO, PhD in my opinion (caveat his is a friend).

Sports Medicine Fellowship Director
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
6 South
1775 Dempster Street
Park Ridge, IL 60068

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sports Medicine Docs downtown Chicago? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto for Dr Chin
Quote Reply