Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ft. Myers Biking
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where i can find some nice places to ride in the ft. myers area. going to be there christmas break and looking to put some mile in
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [broccolimark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too...bump

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm....we go to Sanibel every year. Every time I have tried to go off the island to find areas to ride, I got frustrated and gave up. Now, that may be that particular area of Ft. Myers, but damn there is a LOT of traffic.

As a result, I usually just end up trolling up and down the road from Sanibel to Captiva....back and forth for a week. Have knocked out up to 80 mile rides, just on Sanibel / Captiva. Occasionally, I'll go over the causeway, but turn around at the toll booth and head back over.

It can get a little monotonous, but the road is flat and I can get some excellent TT position time in.

Good luck....I'll be watching this thread for options.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
broccolimark wrote:
Anyone know where i can find some nice places to ride in the ft. myers area. going to be there christmas break and looking to put some mile in

Not a great area for cycling unfortunately. I'd just enjoy the holidays, go for a run, etc.

Re: Ft. Myers Biking [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
forget about cycling routes, this man from 2006 needs to be warned of the impending finical crisis, sell, sell, sell!
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
forget about cycling routes, this man from 2006 needs to be warned of the impending finical crisis, sell, sell, sell!

LOL! OK - hopefully helps the 2016 poster. It still sucks cycling down there ...

Re: Ft. Myers Biking [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
bump

Most of the area does at least have bike lanes. However the locals tend to be major assholes about it. I have ridden there a few times and god forbid you drift out of the bike lane even half an inch, you will get honked at and shit thrown at you, even if the entire road is 100% clear otherwise. People there can't change lanes or move slightly to accommodate you. Had people "roll coal" at me, one guy even just passed, moved into the bike lane, and slowed to 10mph just to "prove" something (what that was, I have no idea).
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will also add that, for whatever reason, there seems to be a fair number of cyclists on the roads around the airport. Dunno if those are the popular cycling routes or what, but there are always a lot out there

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was down in that area in January. There is good riding down there. Get on Strava and search for rides and routes.

The airport area bike riders you saw were undoubtedly because there is a route from the airport all the way into Naples, about 20 miles, on a boulevard that has a great bike lane each way. Traffic is not bad at all and there is limited cross traffic. There is one stretch where you only go through about 3 stoplights in 10 miles. I rode that several times and while not particularly scenic, it was one of the best places to do interval work I have ridden. Estero Blvd along the beach from Fort Myers to Bonita Springs has a nice bike lane and is about 10 miles each way, half of it is through a state park. I could see on Strava that there were people who were doing rides 60+ mile rides with this combo as part of a loop but I did not do that. There is clearly some bike friendly way to get from Ft. Meyers to the airport area.

There are also a ton of group rides in the area. Even if you are not into group rides, check out the clubs, Naples Velo in particular and look at their routes. http://naplesvelo.ning.com/notes/About_Rides
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week, there was a guy on a TT bike with a disk wheel riding around the airport... I can't speak to the quantity of people who ride there, but the ones who do are dedicated to fast times.

I crossed a group of 10-15 last Friday riding around Bonita Beach, and more on the coastal road from Ft Myers to Bonita Springs. All of the "passes" (bridges) provide at least 5' of climbing...

I ran on the beach instead of renting a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was far too nervous about the skill level of motorists while riding down there.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Toronto, but head down to Ft Myers twice/yr for 7-10 days VAC each in Jan and Feb. I have been doing this for almost 20 years. The riding is pretty good - road surface good to excellent, lots of bike lanes, albeit no hills, but usually plenty of wide open roads and wind. The Caloosa Riders http://caloosariders.org/ have group rides every day from a number of locations in Ft Myers. Check it out - there are varying levels of ability. Probably a few of the faster rides would be the Wed 8am ride from Treeline-Colonial Wynn-Dixie, the 7.30am Sunday Bell Tower ride, and the Saturday Buckingham Park ride. Medium rides would be the Tues-Thur Cape Coral RumRunners rides. As someone earlier notes, check out heatmaps on STRAVA and you'll find out where all the locals and Caloosa riders ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avoid Estero on FMB like the plague. I was down there last week. There's a ton of construction (scheduled to last for 7-10 years) and the people on the island just don't get it... I almost got hit running, wouldn't want to be on a bike with them.

The Caloosa Riding group has great rides but it's usually a hammerfest so be prepared. I rented a bike for a day at Bike Bistro which is a few miles from the Sanibel Causeway and rode it from there up to Captiva and around the islands on a Sunday morning. VERY limited traffic if any (avoid Periwinkle Way - Church Traffic) and stick to Gulf Drive (east, middle, west) and it's clear sailing. We did 50 miles and it was cold, wet, and windy but still better than the snow in CT.
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [drougr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. This is helpful. A few questions:

Is riding any good on Pine Island? Safe? It looks like there are some Strava segments, but hard to tell whether it's worth riding over there just to ride.
Is it safe enough to ride over the Cape Coral bridge? The rides/routes that start over in Cape Coral (from CRBC) look good, but would prefer to get over there on bike if possible.
Any safe way to get out to the airport from Cape Coral, or not worth the trip?

Part of the issue I'm having finding routes on Strava is none of them really start and finish very close to where I'm staying, which I guess is in Iona (?). Anyways, it's near the Gulf Harbour Country Club right off the Calassahoochee River. It looks like I'm kind of boxed in where I am and I don't want to end up on any roads that are too crazy.

How does one view a Strava heatmap of the area? I know how to view my personal heat map, and how to search for activities of others, but not how to view
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I live in Iona. My husband and I ride from our house, down Summerlin Rd and over the Sanibel causeway. Drivers can definitely be idiots but if you stay off of Periwinkle road on Sanibel and don't ride during high traffic times it is OK. Sometimes if we want to get more mileage in we will do loops of the causeway toll booth to the Sanibel lighthouse, each loop adds 12 miles, usually no problems with traffic on that route.

Do NOT ride on Pine Island. There is no bike lane, barely a shoulder, and the speed limit is 55 mph. At least on Sanibel the highest speed limit is 35 mph.

The road by the airport, AKA Treeline, isn't bad. Good bike lane but honestly lots of debris at times and can be lots of traffic. And people in rental cars.

Also the recommendation for the Caloosa Riders is a good one. We belong and go on their group rides when we feel like doing the roadie thing. Also in the spring the Bike Bistro rides on Thursday nights should start up again, check their facebook page.

Send me a PM, we can try to meet up if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 50% of my riding on Cape Coral when in Ft Myers, and my rides start just N of Gulf Harbour at College Pkway & MacGregor (The Landings). MacGregor is super busy - don't be shy about riding the sidewalk just to be safe and to get to other roads that have more space and less traffic) To access the bridge, head W down College Pkway from South Pointe (via Camelot off MacGregor). Over the bridge can be a bit dicey - as there is no bike lane - but I go at sunrise [lit up like a Christmas tree] when the traffic is light in that direction (at most maybe 10 vehicles pass). Going over at sunrise also gives you a decent warm-up if you ride to Cape Harbour for the Rumrunner Tues-Thur 8am start. That is a decent ride - mostly on roads with bike lanes with a good group of guys/gals. I ride mostly at the far end (ie west) of Cape Coral where traffic is lighter. When you want to head east to ride back across the bridge to Ft Myers, there is a large bike lane - you need to be cognizant of broken glass/other crap that has been tossed from vehicular traffic. Staying to the right will ensure you get back to MacGregor - where you could ride the sidewalks (your cooldown) back to Gulf Harbour. **Also, as there is a fair bit of traffic heading east along Cape Coral Pkway toward the bridge, best you access the roadway from Cape Coral Pkway by going S on Coronado to El Dorado Pkway E which turns into Del Prado Blvd S and pick up Waikiki on your right - that is the last exitway before the bridge. This will help minimize your interaction with cars by avoiding the busy stretch on Cape Coral Pkway - and you will then have less than 1km to ride on a fairly wide curb lane, to get to safety - the bike lane section of the E-bound bridge. If you're riding there next week, maybe we'll see you at Rumrunners on Tues & Thursday (Caloosa Riders)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit Sanibel every spring and find the safety of riding on the island far outweighs the boredom of doing the same route every day. I usually start on the east end of the island, by the lighthouse, and take the bike path to the causeway. Go up and over the causeway for the hill work (the only hill work) and some cool sights of dolphins, pelicans, and hawks/osprey. Turn around at the tollbooth (no toll for bikes) and return to the island until you hit the chamber of commerce, then cut through their parking lot to a small trail, go 100 yards on trail to Bailey road. From here you can motor through a quiet neighborhood for a few more miles and eventually end up on Dixie-Beach Blvd. I usually follow the bike trail on Dixie-Beach to the right (north) to the end of the road and turn around and return to Periwinkle. Follow Periwinkle bike path to Sanibel-Capitiva Road. Bring a dollar for toll and bike Wildlife Dr. in the Ding Darling Preserve (quiet, slow, one-way paved road). From there follow Wildlife drive to Wulfert Rd and bike to end of Wulfert and return, for a few more quiet and safe miles. Head back to Sanibel-Captiva Road and turn right (NW) and hammer out to the post office on Captiva. You can stop for a Starbucks here too, or try to ninja your way for a few more miles of quiet riding on the South Seas Resort (if you get a flat, security will helpfully haul you and your bike back to the entry of the resort DAMHITT). There are porta-johns at the marina, which is on the road next to the Bubble Room (restaurant). If you are looking for the port-john and instead find YOLO or the Muddy Duck, turn around and go to the other end of the road.

Head back towards Sanibel, crossing the Blind Pass Bridge (public restrooms here) and possibly stopping at the Santiva General Store for resupply (and bathroom) on the Sanibel-Captiva Road. Keep going until just past Wildlife Dr/Wulfert Rd, where you will see Doc Ford's Bar & Grill on the other side of the road, at the Rabbit Rd. intersection. Cross the road and follow the bike path behind Doc Ford's, which will take you to W. Gulf Dr. Road or bike path back east on W. Gulf Dr (quiet road) and it will eventually turn into Casa Ybel Rd. Keep going until you hit Middle Gulf Dr, which then intersects with E. Gulf Dr. Keep going on E. Gulf until it hits Periwinkle Way. Right across the street is Pinocchio's ice cream, which if you stop once will become your motivation on later rides for getting to this intersection. From here, turn east and head to the Park/Beach area by the lighthouse. It is possible to get to the lighthouse, then follow a packed gravel trail that returns you almost to the park entry. From there, follow Periwinkle Way back to the causeway.

Do this twice in one day and you will get a full century in even if you don't ninja the South Seas resort. This route avoids the most built up areas of Sanibel and Periwinkle drive, and is especially quiet in the mornings. Good luck and hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Ft. Myers Biking [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solid route....definitely a full tour of Sanibel / Capitiva!!! You didn't leave much unturned.

How is it going through Ding Darling these days? When I have done it in the past, the packed shell road has always been pretty spotty and I haven't bothered to try in years.

We stay in a condo up near the lighthouse...I usually just take the various Gulf / Casa Ybel roads over to Periwinle and then just do laps on San-Cap road. Doing out & backs on the little side roads (Wulfert, etc) kinda wear on me. But I do like the idea of doing one day of two laps of that route for one big ride w/o doing 3-4 laps of San-Cap.

If you are heading down the week of Mar 20-27, lemme know....always looking for a riding companion down there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot everyone. Plenty of material to work from here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To no one in particular. Is there any place to run in Sanibel/Ft. Myers/Iona on dirt/gravel or some other soft surface. I am trying to get in a couple 10-12 mile runs on soft surface this weekend in Ft. Myers area, if possible..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
To no one in particular. Is there any place to run in Sanibel/Ft. Myers/Iona on dirt/gravel or some other soft surface. I am trying to get in a couple 10-12 mile runs on soft surface this weekend in Ft. Myers area, if possible..

Is there not an abundance of sand ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply