Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stoicism
Quote | Reply
Anyone here a fan of or practices the Philosophy of Stoicism?

I have recently been introduced to it (past 3months) and it has changed my life (along with diagnosis and proper control of what was unipolar depression and OCD. Not a small part of it).

My work life, home life, and even my training life are so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Stoicism [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What aspects of stoicism have you incorporated into your daily, modern life?
I assume that you haven't traded in your home for a empty cask like some modern Diogenes?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Stoicism [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diogenes was a Cynic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooops. I had a brain fart.

My question remains, what does living a stoic life mean to you?

BTW - I always found Reinhold Niebuhr's "Serenity Prayer" an interesting intersection of Christianity and Stoicism:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, but when you grow up in the Upper Midwest in an area that is heavily populated with people of Scandinavian descent, you absorb a lot of similar principles through a sort of 'cultural osmosis' process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcus Aurelius (get his "Meditations") , Epictetus, Montaigne (sort of, maybe? read him anyway)

great reads
Quote Reply
Re: Stoicism [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I practice an individualized form of Stoic/Buddhist asceticism.

I have often contemplated starting a thread (probably on the other forum) that dealt with the intersection of meditation, asceticism and endurance sports.

I never got around to it.
I feel that the lavender room is not the right place to discuss anything contemplative. (It is the right place to discuss everything combatitive).
The tri-form is often too focused on the nuts and bolts of bike tech, training and racing.

That said, I think something very cool could be done with this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Stoicism [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I just purchased Meditations yesterday. I've been very loosely following the Stoicism subreddit for a few months and recently read a Stoic-inspired book, Unfuck Yourself by Gary John Bishop. So much of it is in line with what my hippy, semi-Buddhist therapist has been working on with me.

robabeatle wrote:
Marcus Aurelius (get his "Meditations") , Epictetus, Montaigne (sort of, maybe? read him anyway)

great reads
Quote Reply