Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Denizens of the gym
Quote | Reply
We haven't had one of these yet? I didnt see one in a search.

Anyway, there's a new couple at the gym. Young and pretty fit and they're there a lot. They both wear the SAME outfit every single visit. I've seen them 3-4 times per week the past month and they have the same clothes every time. Sweaty cardio and everything. What's the deal with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
We haven't had one of these yet? I didn't see one in a search.

This one's close, as it does steer away from Millennials at some pint

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...at_the_gym_P5971850/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped going to the gym at the local Y a long time ago but there used to be two guys there all the time that had their workout gear and weight belts, but you rarely saw them work out as they were usually just talking about their workout or telling each other how awesome they were. Even worse, if you happened to be near them to use a machine they would always say "Hey I'm not done yet" and then go back to talking.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny this should come up as my hockey buddies were discussing this last week. In particular were the guys who walk into the gym with their jeans and workboots on, and walk straight in and start working out. When they're done walk out to their cars and leave exactly as they came in.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Last edited by: Chri55: Mar 14, 18 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week was a doozy for the gym:

- Guy talking on his phone in loud voice the entire time he worked out.
- Old Dudes carrying around jugs of water. Are they cutting weight?
- Love the guys who like to prove they can lift heavy weight with terrible form.
- Lots of Dudes flexing in the mirror.
- I swear I am the only person left on the planet without a tattoo
- Sitting on the bench/machine looking at their phone. What a workout
- Everyone has ear buds in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "Gym Denizen Instagram Selfie." Usually a dude sitting on a bench close to a mirror. Two hands on the phone, held at about waist level and pointed at the reflection in the mirror. Flexes entire upper body, looks super jacked, face down (face is usually obscured in the photo by bill of baseball cap pulled low), snaps the photo. Relaxes and is no longer super jacked. Posts it, probably with a bunch of hastags including #fitness and #neverskiplegday or some shit like that.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
Funny this should come up as my hockey buddies were discussing this last week. In particular were the guys who walk into the gym with their jeans and workboots on, and walk straight in and start working out. When they're done walk out to their cars and leave exactly as they came in.

I've seen this before:

A group of three teenagers came up the steps. They had on pretty much the same outfit - with slight variations in color - contractor-style (carpenter / plumber) overalls, v-neck t-shirt, trucker hat, Timberland work boots. They each carried a 10- or maybe 20-pound dumbell in each hand.

They walked a couple laps around the track, being very careful not to bump anyone with the iron. Then they started jogging, still with the weights.

I figured that they were just warming up, before lifting, but the kept going. One lap, two laps, three. Then they started doing what runners would describe as intervals, fast laps, then slow.

I couldn't figure out what I was watching.

Then it occurred to me.

These kids were actually TRAINING for the spring and summer burglary season!!! Running fast while carrying heavy weight!!!

I wish I'd thought of that 40 years ago.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my gym has these skinny runts that can run really fast and seem to have a weird calf tattoo of an M
some of the guys have shaved legs too

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:
- I swear I am the only person left on the planet without a tattoo

Nope

I'm a different kind of straight-edge punk rocker: I still like to drink, but I got no ink

Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
The "Gym Denizen Instagram Selfie." Usually a dude sitting on a bench close to a mirror. Two hands on the phone, held at about waist level and pointed at the reflection in the mirror. Flexes entire upper body, looks super jacked, face down (face is usually obscured in the photo by bill of baseball cap pulled low), snaps the photo. Relaxes and is no longer super jacked. Posts it, probably with a bunch of hastags including #fitness and #neverskiplegday or some shit like that.

I've seen a couple of girls this last week taking a side-on booty shot in the mirror.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:

Anyway, there's a new couple at the gym. Young and pretty fit and they're there a lot. They both wear the SAME outfit every single visit. I've seen them 3-4 times per week the past month and they have the same clothes every time. Sweaty cardio and everything. What's the deal with that?

There's a couple at the gym, where the guy has to be at least 20 years older than the girl. He always wears lycra tights, which I don't think is a good look for any guy, and some sort of old school heavy metal t-shirt, usually Iron Maiden. I would say he's got to be in his 50s. The girl can't be 30, I'd say mid-20s, pretty good body and decent looking.

He is definitely winning at the game of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waytooslow wrote:
- Sitting on the bench/machine looking at their phone. What a workout.

What is appropriate in between sets when you're recovering?

It's either that or ogling the girls, or actually talking to people* and who wants to do that?

*Which given that pretty much everyone has earbuds in listing to whatever would be awkward.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

I like the guy who is to his left who you can see squatting in the mirror. He gives him the "you dumb fuck" head shake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an old guy that seems to be at the gym every time I'm there. He looks like the turtle in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. Every exercise he does is nearly isometric. He only moves the weights a few inches if that, they just sort of oscillate a little bit. And he uses ankle weights, but most of what he does with them he moves in a plane where the weights aren't adding any resistance to the movement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:

Close but not the same outfit. Wal-mart had a sale on dri-fit shirts. I picked up 5 that were the same color. So I'm at the gym in the same bland grey shirt and black running shorts.
Oh, do you mean they were matching outfits?? .. I thought you meant they just wear the same outfit each time
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

There are a few kids I've seen at the local YMCA who video each other doing bench press and squats. They say it's for showing their football strength training coach, but I've seen them posting the vids on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
He always wears lycra tights, which I don't think is a good look for any guy, ...

Gotta have the boots

Or white high tops?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe shoes weightlifter guy

Man bun with technical, moisture-wicking leggings under shorts even though he's doing no cardio and not breaking a sweat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some of my least favourite denizens are the ones who leave their empty shampoo, soap and what have you bottles in the shower. Guess they have maid service at home.

There are also a scary number of hair extensions stuck to the shower walls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky my gym has a lot of rules on a lot of the meathead stuff. Pictures, dress etc.

One that gets me is the sprinters around the track. This track is 3 lanes, 1/10 of a mile and is mainly used for walking/running and is fairly busy over the lunch hour. Some people feel this is the perfect track for doing all out sprints weaving through everyone including the 70 year old guy with a prosthetic leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I'm lucky my gym has a lot of rules on a lot of the meathead stuff. Pictures, dress etc.

One that gets me is the sprinters around the track. This track is 3 lanes, 1/10 of a mile and is mainly used for walking/running and is fairly busy over the lunch hour. Some people feel this is the perfect track for doing all out sprints weaving through everyone including the 70 year old guy with a prosthetic leg.

I work out at the gym on a college campus. There's a guy, I assume a student, who uses the track to run pass routes. Usually he starts outside the track in an adjacent area, lines up, takes off, does a head fake/shimmy, makes a cut at some point sprints half a straight and corner and exits the track into another part of the gym. Sometimes he even uses a column as a mock defender to separate from at the start of his route.
Quote Reply
Re: Denizens of the gym [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I work out at the gym on a college campus. There's a guy, I assume a student, who uses the track to run pass routes. Usually he starts outside the track in an adjacent area, lines up, takes off, does a head fake/shimmy, makes a cut at some point sprints half a straight and corner and exits the track into another part of the gym. Sometimes he even uses a column as a mock defender to separate from at the start of his route.

There was a guy at my old track who would do some sort of baseball fielding/footwork drills, complete with a throwing motion

Quote Reply

Prev Next