Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are your kids doing the walkout today?
Quote | Reply
Nearly our entire school is. They're gathering together for 17 minutes to talk about each of the students who died. Damn proud of my kids for doing it, even if it wasn't something I'd approve of. Any parent should be proud of their children standing up for what they believe in.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
Nearly our entire school is. They're gathering together for 17 minutes to talk about each of the students who died. Damn proud of my kids for doing it, even if it wasn't something I'd approve of. Any parent should be proud of their children standing up for what they believe in.

1 is 2 are not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the school handling it? Any punishment for walking out?

The school I work for was going to do a whole school walkout with the option of opting out and stressing it as a nod to the students who passed away and not a political statement. I think it would impossible for it to not become political though.

We have a snow day though so im not sure if it’ll be postponed until tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
How is the school handling it? Any punishment for walking out?

The school I work for was going to do a whole school walkout with the option of opting out and stressing it as a nod to the students who passed away and not a political statement. I think it would impossible for it to not become political though.

We have a snow day though so im not sure if it’ll be postponed until tomorrow.

It's a private school, so they can do things a public school can't. But their position is that no student will be penalized for walking out or not walking out. The teachers can go, but if one kid wants to stay in their class, the teacher will stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, both my kids are doing it. We wrote a permission slip which they had to get from parents, but we neither encouraged nor deterred them from doing it. School is fully supporting the students who want to do it, which seems to be the whole school (public school).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my kids are doing it, 9th and 11th grade at Boulder High School. My daughter made a sign, my son sees it as just going for a walk. They're walking to a popular shopping/tourist area. I mentioned they have a gun store two blocks from the school but I don't think they'll go there. So, it's a "preach to the choir" protest but glad they're doing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for them for trying to make a difference.

Maybe instead of, or in addition to, they should talk about how they treat their fellow students - so certain kids don't feel ostracized and feel the need to carry out their own version of justice.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D'Kid would've, being the young activist she is, but she had really bad cramps today

She's very disappointed

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
The boy in HS is doing it. Whole HS is, near as I can tell. Those that don't feel like walking in the sunshine for 17min and chatting with their friends, have to sit in the auditorium and be supervised.

Whole thing seems kinda strange. Isn't a walk-out, a walk "from" or an act of rebellion against something? This is being conducted more like a field trip. Permissions slips and all.

Wouldn't an evening candlelight vigil be more appropriate? Too easy for the walk-out to turn political.

The school runs fb pages for the parents of each class. So "senior parents fb page", "junior parents fb page", etc. I'm a member of the freshman parents fb page. Apparently there's been so much drama on the other pages that some parents have fled to ours so they could post their views with a reduced chance of the post getting deleted. Sigh.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My younger daughter's HS has the day off today (already scheduled before all this) but they were apparently told yesterday that if they wanted to come in to walk out, they could. Not sure how that would work but her homeroom teacher basically said she didn't really expect any students to give up their day off for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Wouldn't an evening candlelight vigil be more appropriate? Too easy for the walk-out to turn political.

Isn't it supposed to be? To encourage some political ACTION? Not just talking about how sad it is that these kids were randomly murdered [Parkland, and all the others before them], because politics them down?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Los Altos high school is recording an unexcused absence for anyone who walks out, so my older son is staying in class.

My middle school son says that he has too much work to do so he is staying in class too.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Maybe instead of, or in addition to, they should talk about how they treat their fellow students - so certain kids don't feel ostracized and feel the need to carry out their own version of justice.

This. Very much this.

I think the real impact of the walkout is that we'll have a generation that will always have a common talking point. They'll be in college and be able to have a shared memory about doing something because of gun violence in schools. They'll be out in the real world and they'll have that point of commonality that will make "school shootings" a thing they were part of. Even tiny things like that can have an important and lasting effect.

Even if it doesn't mean a lot to them, it's now a connection nearly everyone in this generation shares.
Last edited by: swimwithstones: Mar 14, 18 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mixed feelings about it. I'm glad the kids are doing something other than hit "Like" or "ReTweet" but I don't know what action they are hoping to accomplish other than "raising awareness."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Good for them for trying to make a difference.

That would be pretty awesome. Feelings like out an outsider is a consistent theme in school shooters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I teach in a public school, but we're on spring break this week. I don't know how many of the students in our school would have decided to walkout to support this (or any other) cause. Most of them are pretty laid back and they don't give the impression that they are socially or politically active. There's always ten percent who manage to miss school on any given day, and these students would have figured this would be a good excuse to skip another day day of school.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both kids are, one helped organize it, the other is speaking. I'll let you know how it goes.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Mar 14, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My child is at a K-8.

The timing is aligned to middle school daily campus walk- so they will observe with option to opt out during that previously scheduled time.

K-5 are requested to stay in class- which seems appropriate to me- kids should get to be kids and be sheltered despite monthly shooter drills etc. Mine is in this group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My high schooler is not. The school will record an unexcused absence for any student that does, aside from those on lunch or their free period. She said she would rather do something more proactive like actually engaging in with people, such as the #walkupnotwalkout movement. She's pretty inclusive as it is and has always kept en eye out for others and stood up for those who cannot fend for themselves.

My middle school son said no kids were talking about it, but the school did tell them they won't stop them, but they'll also be given an unexcused absence. He's not very political, but like his sister, has always stood up for others.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
My high schooler is not. The school will record an unexcused absence for any student that does, aside from those on lunch or their free period. She said she would rather do something more proactive like actually engaging in with people, such as the #walkupnotwalkout movement. She's pretty inclusive as it is and has always kept en eye out for others and stood up for those who cannot fend for themselves.

Perhaps you should encourage your daughter to lead a broader effort.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

They can talk all year but that's not going to change anything. Trying to break the stranglehold that the NRA has on government is at least trying to do something about the problems. Politicians talk non-stop which is exactly what the NRA wants so it's nice to see people at least try to take action.

Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Isn't it supposed to be? To encourage some political ACTION? Not just talking about how sad it is that these kids were randomly murdered [Parkland, and all the others before them], because politics them down?
"Politics" let them down? Haven't we debated that issue to death already? I'm not saying there's an easy answer nor solution, but we certainly didn't arrive at a consensus that it was politics that let the kids down.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am cool with any of my three choosing to "walk out." Not sure what the exact message is though. Doesn't seem to be a 'thing' here however.
Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
... we certainly didn't arrive at a consensus ...

I don't need a consensus, and I probably wouldn't agree with it anyway

I'm just me, and that's my opinion

Quote Reply
Re: Are your kids doing the walkout today? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Yes, it's really supposed to be political, as far as I can tell. They're specifically trying to influence politicians.

No, politics didn't let them down. Politics did what politics does, which is result in policy. So far, that policy has largely been the policy that the majority of Americans want or are willing to accept, otherwise they'd make more noise and vote other representatives into office. It appears that some specific people or agencies may have let them down, but that's not really the same thing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next