Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rutgers Univ looking for local triathletes for a 1 year study.
Quote | Reply
Polar's friends at Rutgers Univ are conducting a study which will be known as "Performance and Biomarker changes in Mid-High Level Male Triathletes Throughout Training and Competition". The athletes selected will be tested every 4 weeks and on every 8th week, an additional test will be conducted at Rutgers University If you fill out the survey, you will be evaluated by the staff and if selected, you will also receive a free entry to the Toughman Tri at Harriman St Park, NY on 9/16/18. Good luck and here is the link to the survey and Rutgers contact information for further Q&A. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6LFT9MS

STUDY SUMMARY: The purpose of this study is to track high-level male triathletes throughout their training and competition to evaluate changes in performance and various biomarkers including indicators of health, nutrition, recovery, and performance. You will participate in baseline/completion testing with a blood draw and performance testing lasting 2-hours. You will report the Rutgers Center for Health and Human Performance (CHHP) every four-weeks for subsequent performance testing, and every eight-weeks for a bike performance test. This study will last for up to one year or until the completion of your final competition. Possible harms or burdens of taking part in the study may be injury during the testing duration, though there is no added risk from your normal training schedule. The benefits of this study are to obtain free performance and blood biomarker testing to further aid in your training and increase performance. Your alternative to taking part in the research study is not to take part in it.
Last edited by: Wayne@PolarUSA: Mar 5, 18 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: Rutgers Univ looking for high level triathletes for a 1 year study. [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for the tri state tri clubs. Thank you to those who filled out the survey!
Quote Reply
Re: Rutgers Univ looking for mid-high level triathletes for a 1 year study. [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rutgers has adjusted the criteria for the study. Local athletes might want to fill out the survey.
Quote Reply
Re: Rutgers Univ looking for local triathletes for a 1 year study. [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to this study Wayne.

I just completed Step 1 of this process this morning. The staff (Alan Walker, Bridget McFadden, and one other) met me at 700a in the very very nice Rutgers University Cook Douglass Health Center. The staff was very professional and the time slot was super convenient for my schedule.

The protocol consisted of
1) going into the Body Pod for a full body eval (Body Fat % etc etc)

2) drawing blood for BioMarker study throughout process

3) VO2 and blood lactate testing on a treadmill via a step test
4:00on, 1:00off (while getting pricked), gradually increasing speed

4) I've had VO2 and blood lactate testing many times as a rower in the 1990s. Compared to the equipment, monitoring, VO2 mask, and blood collection process at Rutgers this morning, the testing I received back then looked like the Wild West. Everything was top notch this morning, definitely giving me confidence in the validity of the numbers.

I've already received the numbers that were generated this morning, and I very much look forward to continuing on with the Rutgers PHD team. I am motivated to do better, especially when I'm not training, so I see improvement in 4 weeks and 8 weeks as I get into summer racing. I wanted to write this review because I think anybody in the immediate Central NJ area who doesn't take advantage of this FREE process is missing out. I am not receiving anything for this. I just wanted to let the Central NJ community know that this is out there and give Alan Walker and his team a bump. Contact info should be in original post. Alan tell me they're still looking for 10-15 good subjects, both male and female
Quote Reply