Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike Purchase - Tarmac Pro vs Cervelo R5
Quote | Reply
I have $6,000 to buy a new road bike.

I am looking at a Specialized Tarmac Pro or Cervelo R5.

Pros vs Cons?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Purchase - Tarmac Pro vs Cervelo R5 [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the answer you'll get is both bikes are excellent choices.....pick the one that fits you best or the one you like the looks of. It looks like the Specialized is a bit longer/lower than the Cervelo, but close enough that some spacers and stem lengths would equal them out for fit. I'm looking at a new bike although with disc and the Cervelo R5d is at the top of my short list......not that it really matters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the new R5 and love it. Had the previous generation R5 immediately before that and could tell a difference, mainly in cornering (with the lower BB).

I've had a lot of bikes (Allez, Madone, Tarmac, Supersix, S3, R5) and each was great in their own ways. I'm not sure if you stuck me on a new Tarmac that I could tell that big of difference. If you can test ride both, then do it. Otherwise get the one that you like the look of the most (because honestly that's almost as important as anything else).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that price range (MSRP), the Tarmac pro looks like a great buy for your price range assuming you want electronic shifting (ultegra di2 R8050) and want your bike to come with a decent set of carbon wheels. To go electronic and get carbon wheels on an R5, you have to step up to their top line DA 9150 that comes with Enve 3.4s. And will cost you $3k more.

It's hard to justify the R5 in mechanical DA ($7000) or mechanical Ultegra ($5000) unless you hate electronic and already have a really nice set of race wheels. Or you really hate Specialized.

From what I can tell, there is nothing quirky about either frame (such as proprietary integrated shit that may give you a headache) and both support clearance for really wide tires. Those are two big things on my checklist for my next road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have $6,000 to buy a new road bike.

Lucky you.

Both great bikes. As others have said - go with the best fit, and/or the one that you like the looks of best. Another factor to consider, is compenentry and wheels - what they come with, what you have already in your stable, and what you would consider up-grading to at some point.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Purchase - Tarmac Pro vs Cervelo R5 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
To go electronic and get carbon wheels on an R5, you have to step up to their top line DA 9150 that comes with Enve 3.4s. And will cost you $3k more.

It's hard to justify the R5 in mechanical DA ($7000) or mechanical Ultegra ($5000) unless you hate electronic and already have a really nice set of race wheels. Or you really hate Specialized.

This is my pain point with Cervelo.......not offering the R5 or R5d in an Ultegra Di2 option - what are they thinking!?!?
The only work around is to buy frame only and build. Guestimate price going this route would be still be on the high end of a bike build @ over $7k or so depending on spec's.....which make the Tarmac with Ultegra Di2 a more cost effective option at $6k.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Purchase - Tarmac Pro vs Cervelo R5 [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Jason N wrote:
To go electronic and get carbon wheels on an R5, you have to step up to their top line DA 9150 that comes with Enve 3.4s. And will cost you $3k more.

This is my pain point with Cervelo.......not offering the R5 or R5d in an Ultegra Di2 option - what are they thinking!?!?
The only work around is to buy frame only and build. Guestimate price going this route would be still be on the high end of a bike build @ over $7k or so depending on spec's.....which make the Tarmac with Ultegra Di2 a more cost effective option at $6k.

It's a little bit of a tough comparison because it's not exactly apples to apples depending on how you look at it. If you consider the R5 as Cervelo's top line frame (ignoring the RCA), then one could make the argument that you need to compare the R5 frame to the S-Works frame. Each frameset retails for about $4000, so maybe comparing an R5 to a non S-Works Tarmac is not a fair comparison. Cervelo has the R3 line, which is pretty close to the R5 in terms of functionality, but uses slightly less quality carbon and less complicated layups sort of like how the Tarmac Pro frame doesn't use the same carbon as the S-Works frame. The R3 does offer an Ultegra Di2 build, so there's that. I know...still not the same...but it's not like Specialized offers the S-Works frame in an Ultegra Di2 build either.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Purchase - Tarmac Pro vs Cervelo R5 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
MKirk wrote:
Jason N wrote:

It's a little bit of a tough comparison because it's not exactly apples to apples depending on how you look at it. If you consider the R5 as Cervelo's top line frame (ignoring the RCA), then one could make the argument that you need to compare the R5 frame to the S-Works frame. Each frameset retails for about $4000, so maybe comparing an R5 to a non S-Works Tarmac is not a fair comparison. Cervelo has the R3 line, which is pretty close to the R5 in terms of functionality, but uses slightly less quality carbon and less complicated layups sort of like how the Tarmac Pro frame doesn't use the same carbon as the S-Works frame. The R3 does offer an Ultegra Di2 build, so there's that. I know...still not the same...but it's not like Specialized offers the S-Works frame in an Ultegra Di2 build either.

Ah, see that now.......S-works is a 12r carbon while the Pro is a lesser 10r carbon. I didn't see the Pro as being sold frame only so just figured it was the one frame.

S Works and C5 DA Di2 are within $500 retail ($9500/$9000) so your right that building the C5 Ultegra Di2 "should" cost ~ $1500 more than the lower grade frame on the Tarmac Pro. All is right in the world again although I still think it's stupid that Cervelo does not offer a Ultegra Di2 build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Jason N wrote:
MKirk wrote:
Jason N wrote:

Ah, see that now.......S-works is a 12r carbon while the Pro is a lesser 10r carbon. I didn't see the Pro as being sold frame only so just figured it was the one frame.

S Works and C5 DA Di2 are within $500 retail ($9500/$9000) so your right that building the C5 Ultegra Di2 "should" cost ~ $1500 more than the lower grade frame on the Tarmac Pro. All is right in the world again although I still think it's stupid that Cervelo does not offer a Ultegra Di2 build.

I'm sure they would want to offer Ultegra Di2 on more frames, but because of the split on rim and disc brakes currently, I can understand why they have to limit options. Inventory from the warehouse becomes tougher to manage and local shops don't want to have to order 12 different versions of what is essentially the same bike.

Cannondale is doing the same thing with their Hi-Mod Evo. This year they only offer the rim brake version in 9150 or eTap. Disc brake versions are limited to 9170 and 9070. In the past, you could get the Hi-Mod Evo with Ultegra Di2 or DA mechanical, but that was before the disc brake option became available.

Once everything inevitably moves to disc only, the options on OEM componentry for a given frame should open back up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
I think the answer you'll get is both bikes are excellent choices.....pick the one that fits you best or the one you like the looks of. It looks like the Specialized is a bit longer/lower than the Cervelo, but close enough that some spacers and stem lengths would equal them out for fit. I'm looking at a new bike although with disc and the Cervelo R5d is at the top of my short list......not that it really matters.

Cervelo is longer no?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any halfway decent road shop would be willing to price out a ultegra di2 build for you at a reasonable price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

What tool is that?

I am also thinking about getting one of your choice?

We always read about good tire clearance up to 28mm. Did anybody try with 30 or 32mm? I am thinking about doing Paris-Roubaix and watch the Pros next day. Therefore I will need wide tire?

Any idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d go with the new Tarmac. It’s a great looking bike in person and ticks all of the right boxes IMO
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Purchase - Tarmac Pro vs Cervelo R5 [andid333] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andid333 wrote:
MKirk wrote:

What tool is that?

I am also thinking about getting one of your choice?

We always read about good tire clearance up to 28mm. Did anybody try with 30 or 32mm? I am thinking about doing Paris-Roubaix and watch the Pros next day. Therefore I will need wide tire?

Any idea?

Free ID for fit comparisons.
https://app.velogicfit.com/login

I'm also now looking at either the BMC Teammachine or the Roadmachine. I just need to get out on a ride on each to see which one I prefer.
Quote Reply