Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Siesta key riding, bike rental?
Quote | Reply
Traveling to siesta key in April. Trying to decide 1) whether to plan to cycle while I'm there, and 2) if yes, whether to bring my bike or try and find a nice rig to rent.

First of all, the riding seems nice so I'm leaning towards a yes to Q1. It's not a trip meant to be centered around riding, but it seems that heading north along the shore past mote marine lab and up longboat key looks like a great ride worth doing (from NY so would be a welcome change of scenery). Would plan on like 1 to 2 hour rides on one or two of the three days there. The road looks fine from a safety perspective, Am I wrong? I'd plan to go early in morning to beat heavy traffic. Anything else I should know about if I want to do that ride? Bridge restrictions, tolls, or anything?

Next, my preferred plan would be to find a nice road bike to rent that way I don't have to shlep around with my bike case. Though, I'm not opposed to doing this, as renting carries its own logistical issues as well. The tipping factor is that if renting I'd want to rent a really nice bike, kinda as a treat to myself. Found one place which rents supersix's with 105, but would like something nicer. Anywhere in the general sarasota/siesta area that rents higher spec rides?

Thanks! Can't wait to run on that beach...
Quote Reply
Re: Siesta key riding, bike rental? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Traveling to siesta key in April. Trying to decide 1) whether to plan to cycle while I'm there, and 2) if yes, whether to bring my bike or try and find a nice rig to rent.

First of all, the riding seems nice so I'm leaning towards a yes to Q1. It's not a trip meant to be centered around riding, but it seems that heading north along the shore past mote marine lab and up longboat key looks like a great ride worth doing (from NY so would be a welcome change of scenery). Would plan on like 1 to 2 hour rides on one or two of the three days there. The road looks fine from a safety perspective, Am I wrong? I'd plan to go early in morning to beat heavy traffic. Anything else I should know about if I want to do that ride? Bridge restrictions, tolls, or anything?

Next, my preferred plan would be to find a nice road bike to rent that way I don't have to shlep around with my bike case. Though, I'm not opposed to doing this, as renting carries its own logistical issues as well. The tipping factor is that if renting I'd want to rent a really nice bike, kinda as a treat to myself. Found one place which rents supersix's with 105, but would like something nicer. Anywhere in the general sarasota/siesta area that rents higher spec rides?

Thanks! Can't wait to run on that beach...

Just don't ride on Siesta Key that time of year. There are to many people that are not familiar with the area so it is unsafe and the bike lanes are not consistent. The ride up LBK is very nice and is safer. You can start at Marina Jacks(The Kissing Statue) and go to the North end of the key and back for a little more than 30 miles. Going North of Longboat will get you to Anna Maria island but again the bike lanes are narrow and inconsistent. Do not ride over the draw spans on the bridges if there is any moisture. It's like ice.

It sounds like you found Village Bikes. I am not sure of other places that rent higher end bikes.

Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Re: Siesta key riding, bike rental? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did the seista key triathlon a few years ago and rented from here: nice bike shop but didnt have tri bikes for rent: Ryder Bikes
Quote Reply