Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift?
Quote | Reply
It seems that every time I pull up Slowtwitch there is another Zwift article front and center. I'm not a Zwifter; I use TrainerRoad as I like the workout structure. Just curious if there is there some sort of financial interest linking Slowtwitch and Zwift?

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was answered before but one of the polls said a lot of people on here percentagewise were interested in learning more about it.

I’m pretty sure they’re sponsoring the site too but I think people are just generally interested in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure seems like it. I like Zwift and use it to race (prefer TrainerRoad for my quality work), but it seems like since Jordan went to work for them this has all started so I guess I'm not surprised here.

The Zwift Slowtwitch rides are a pretty cool thing I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion it is for two reasons. There is some sort of partnership/sponsorship + triathletes are really interested in Zwift. Its the biggest thing to happen to triathlon since gps watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [hairypiernas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than likely they probably use it a lot. Zwift is set up in a way that it behooves you not to use it casually (If you care about racing, levels, etc.) so even if someone is using another app like Trainerroad they're probably Zwifting in the background. Since you can get a Slowtwitch kit there I'm sure there is some intermingling between the two companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan has always had a clear and professed interest in technologies which represent an clear advance in the world of endurance sports. I would argue that one of ST's main reasons for being is to provide a platform for the advancement of such technologies. Zwift does represent such an advancement because it does everything that other programs like TR do only in a slicker, sexier and more engaging package that will appeal to a broader audience.

I don't know if Zwift and ST have a financial arrangement but in the past similar question have been raised with respect to ST and Cervelo, ST and Flo and ST and HED. The answer has been yes, the companies are partners, but their partnership is not what has driven Dan's coverage. I am sure Dan covered the ST policy on product reviews and front page articles a year or so ago which outlines where he draws the lines.

As a side note there seems to be this concept that TR is for structured workouts and Zwift is for entertainment but that just isn't true. Zwift can handle any workout that TR can handle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift has a workout mode like Trainer Road

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 9 million. We saw the same thing with Diamondback when he switched rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cause Zwift is popular, and Trainerroad isn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
+ 9 million. We saw the same thing with Diamondback when he switched rides.

Observant.....and Dimond, and a number of others through the years as sponsorship changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sullytriman wrote:
It seems that every time I pull up Slowtwitch there is another Zwift article front and center. I'm not a Zwifter; I use TrainerRoad as I like the workout structure. Just curious if there is there some sort of financial interest linking Slowtwitch and Zwift?

yes, there is. trainerroad also. sufferfest also. cycleops. and others!

let me go further. do you see that blue bar just above? see right in the middle where it says INDOOR? that didn't use to be there 3 months ago. i made an affirmative decision to reorganize the site around an acknowledgement that there are 2 parts of the cycling world growing like wildfire: indoor, and gravel (or allroad, or whatever your preferred word).

accordingly, you'll see a lot of articles, especially over the winter, on indoor. we just published on the latest iteration of the kickr. just before that woodway. no financial arrangement with either (but i'm open to it!).

there are 1,400 weekly events on zwift. when i go there i routinely see 4,000 or 5,000 people on zwift at that moment. i spend about 3hr a week on zwift. if i'm average, that means there are about 200,000 people on that platform. are there that many? i don't know. but i've got a speed and cadence sensor arriving by UPS today, which i'm taking down with a bike and trainer i'm not using to an old high school running buddy of mine, to set him up on zwift, which is his request of me. and he's not a cyclist!

so, indoor is a big deal. if you think zwift cycling is big, just wait for zwift running to catch hold. i've thought about this a lot, and i've come to the conclusion that this won't diminish outdoor riding. quite the opposite. indoor is my running buddy friend's gateway drug to outdoor. (but, outdoor with a twist: allroad.)

so, yeah, i'm all in. and, yes, instead of charging you $15/mo. to read i'm asking the indoor companies (as i will ask the allroad companies) to fund your no-charge reading. further, i'm back in the race production business, and you'll see our first two allroad triathlons this year.

If you want to know about our financial arrangements, they're at the bottom of this page. you can always go there, bottom of every page, any page, and see who our partners are.

and finally, i have yet another article to write about zwift within the next day, because of something they're doing i'm not at liberty to disclose. and probably another yet, because of future slowtwitch rides and workouts we'll announce on the zwift platform. and you'll see zwift invade this forum, as i announce (maybe even today, thanks for reminding me) that we need more ride leaders for our existing rides and new rides. and i have a "widget" i'm building to deploy on this very forum that'll remind you when our next group rides and runs are occurring (whether zwift cycling or on some other platform.

and this will be followed by more articles on trainerroad, and the sufferfest, and the trainers and equipment aboard which you perform your indoor rides. it's... just... not... going... to... stop!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been holding out but may need to try Zwift soon.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I am curious. Why do you think that indoor running will catch on like cycling has? Can it truly catch on without a device that is controlled by Zwift? That is primarily the reason why I don't Zwift run. Really, it is just me running on an animated road and doesn't really give me anything meaningful. I would rather watch netflix. Zwift cycling with my power meter is a different story though. Seems to me the running aspect has a LONG way to go before it is really meaningful.
Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread.

I use both. Zwifted first then switched to Trainerroad after listening to the Podcast.
Zwift workout mode is one thing but the plans and structure aren’t there in any level of detail (Although I understand that’s about to change).

I still run Zwift in the background though- on the TT bike, I know when all my intervals will end by where I am on the course and I get a tangible Strava entry out of it ;)

Zwift is a place- a place to train, a place to race, a place to cruise with buddies, a place to chase KOM’s and even a place to meet people.
My real life race team is the TFC team from Zwift (hosts of The Friday Criterium).

I can even safely say I’d have never raced a real Crit without Zwift and I did over 30 last year.

It’s already inextricably linked with cycling and training so Kudos to Dan for embracing the new opportunities it brings.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Cause Zwift is popular, and Trainerroad isn't.

Really? Why do you say that? I use TR and I don't use Zwift. Same for my brother.

Also, based on the very active TrainerRoad.com thread, I suspect there's an active TR user community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because group riding on TR would be difficult?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
I've been holding out but may need to try Zwift soon.

I held off for years myself, but I got a turbo trainer and its really fun. I was one of those guys that snickered at the whole concept of it, but the race mode motivates me like nothing else. The workouts are meh, so is general riding, but the races are fun. The great thing about them is they set conditions to maximize an all out effort over an hour, something that's close to impossible on the road in some parts of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I too held off on Zwift until November 2017. We were pretty old school. Then we decided to go with a Cyclops Hammer direct drive trainer and step into what a many good riders and pros use. What a huge difference in the quality of the workout using the Hammer with Zwift. You can ride just about any type of ride you feel like or download a custom workout. My wife is a triathlete / duathlete and using the custom workouts has been great. She can ride them at 5:00 AM, work and then get in the PM swim. Zwift has made the training schedule work for us. When its really cold, or raining cats and dogs, we can still get the kind of effort we need with the Hammer in combination with Zwift. I have to say that using Zwift has definitely improved our outdoor riding. Our average speed and interval speeds have increased, as well as, riding over grades. Zwift has been the closest we have come to actually riding outdoors, minus wind. We never thought we would go the Zwift route, but certainly glad we did. Try it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sullytriman wrote:
Just curious if there is there some sort of financial interest linking Slowtwitch and Zwift?

Of course there is a financial interest in advertising/promoting Zwift, Diamondback, Powertap .... Nothing wrong with doing so. You just have to take it for what it is; targeted advertising to an interested group of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
sullytriman wrote:
Just curious if there is there some sort of financial interest linking Slowtwitch and Zwift?

Of course there is a financial interest in advertising/promoting Zwift, Diamondback, Powertap .... Nothing wrong with doing so. You just have to take it for what it is; targeted advertising to an interested group of people.

If only there was a Zwift discount code through Slowtwitch.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravel/adventure and indoor biking growing. Might I suggest adding more about fat biking too? Can do it on beach or snow or trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Dan,

I am curious. Why do you think that indoor running will catch on like cycling has? Can it truly catch on without a device that is controlled by Zwift? That is primarily the reason why I don't Zwift run. Really, it is just me running on an animated road and doesn't really give me anything meaningful. I would rather watch netflix. Zwift cycling with my power meter is a different story though. Seems to me the running aspect has a LONG way to go before it is really meaningful. Thoughts?

i think you're missing the bigger message. here are some recent data points, if you want to call them that, popping up recently here on slowtwitch:

1. andy coggan's thread on the fact that it doesn't matter as much what workout schema you follow, just that you follow one;

2. my own ranking of the 8 important elements to athletic success, of which the least important is the particular training philosophy you follow, and that, aside from your own work ethic, the most important is your regular access to training partners.

3. my own nauseatingly repetitive insistence on the importance of the enclave. the cohort of training partners you wake up knowing is there, ready to ride, ready to swim. the masters swim team. the group rides and runs.

what truly matters is not the detail. it's the enclave. when i ride at 4pm this afternoon with 90 or so slowtwitchers, they are my enclave. they are my training partners. i would perhaps not do that ride - or any ride - today were it not for the fact that there they are, they expect me, and not because it's me, but because we all expect each other. it'll be that same way in zwift running, or any platform that allows for the enclave.

i would also mention that the enclave can be larger yet because a group run or ride can be driven by common effort rather than common talent. 90 people can ride in the same pack because they're all riding at 70 percent (let us say) of their FTP, rather than all riding at 240 watts.

now, about the treadmill. yes, it is not controlled by zwift. and yet 2 years ago i saw a device by wahoo that hacked a treadmill, making that possible. but even then, it would only be a "smart" treadmill you could hack. i wonder how many zwifters are riding dumb trainers? because that's what zwift running is (without that hijack of the treadmill's motor). you're running with a footpod, and that footpod absolutely DOES reflect on the screen. you WILL either fall behind or surge ahead of REAL runners in your enclave, in your group run, whose avatars are on the screen.

the power is not in the tech. the power is in the enclave. the part of zwift that zwift thinks is REALLY important really ISN'T that important to ME. it's not the quality of the graphics. it's that every one of those cyclists - whether a high quality graphic representation or a stick figure - represents a REAL person doing a REAL thing. zwift is digital, virtual tech, but what it enables is a very human thing.

that's why zwift running is going to be big.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
M~ wrote:
Dan,

I am curious. Why do you think that indoor running will catch on like cycling has? Can it truly catch on without a device that is controlled by Zwift? That is primarily the reason why I don't Zwift run. Really, it is just me running on an animated road and doesn't really give me anything meaningful. I would rather watch netflix. Zwift cycling with my power meter is a different story though. Seems to me the running aspect has a LONG way to go before it is really meaningful. Thoughts?

i think you're missing the bigger message. here are some recent data points, if you want to call them that, popping up recently here on slowtwitch:

1. andy coggan's thread on the fact that it doesn't matter as much what workout schema you follow, just that you follow one;

2. my own ranking of the 8 important elements to athletic success, of which the least important is the particular training philosophy you follow, and that, aside from your own work ethic, the most important is your regular access to training partners.

3. my own nauseatingly repetitive insistence on the importance of the enclave. the cohort of training partners you wake up knowing is there, ready to ride, ready to swim. the masters swim team. the group rides and runs.

what truly matters is not the detail. it's the enclave. when i ride at 4pm this afternoon with 90 or so slowtwitchers, they are my enclave. they are my training partners. i would perhaps not do that ride - or any ride - today were it not for the fact that there they are, they expect me, and not because it's me, but because we all expect each other. it'll be that same way in zwift running, or any platform that allows for the enclave.

i would also mention that the enclave can be larger yet because a group run or ride can be driven by common effort rather than common talent. 90 people can ride in the same pack because they're all riding at 70 percent (let us say) of their FTP, rather than all riding at 240 watts.

now, about the treadmill. yes, it is not controlled by zwift. and yet 2 years ago i saw a device by wahoo that hacked a treadmill, making that possible. but even then, it would only be a "smart" treadmill you could hack. i wonder how many zwifters are riding dumb trainers? because that's what zwift running is (without that hijack of the treadmill's motor). you're running with a footpod, and that footpod absolutely DOES reflect on the screen. you WILL either fall behind or surge ahead of REAL runners in your enclave, in your group run, whose avatars are on the screen.

the power is not in the tech. the power is in the enclave. the part of zwift that zwift thinks is REALLY important really ISN'T that important to ME. it's not the quality of the graphics. it's that every one of those cyclists - whether a high quality graphic representation or a stick figure - represents a REAL person doing a REAL thing. zwift is digital, virtual tech, but what it enables is a very human thing.

that's why zwift running is going to be big.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. As a "tech guy" in my job, I always tend to look at what I am interacting with instead of the human aspect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift actually got started on Slowtwitch. But unlike some other folks who got their start on ST and then turned their back on Slowtwitch or "shat on it" Zwift has actually stayed connected.

I for one love it.

And here is the story:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._realized__5547.html
Last edited by: Herbert: Mar 13, 18 9:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next