Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Affordable Aero - Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR thoughts on these wheels
Quote | Reply
My LBS has these and the set is around $700 new.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...-comp-5-tlr/p/21803/

How much am I really giving up with these "not as good as 404's" set of wheels?

Currently I'm on a stock Felt B14 (2015) and just looking to pick up some time over 40K, 90K, 180K rides etc.

I looked for aero data couldn't find anything. Only 1 product review so far was wondering if anyone on ST is running these.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Aero - Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR thoughts on these wheels [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's about a good a quote as you will find, relative to a Hed Jet 6 wheelset.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6580534#p6580534

At $700 for those, I would spend the incremental $200 to find a Jet 6 + wheelset on sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Aero - Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR thoughts on these wheels [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excel Sports sells Jet+6 for 999$, but they seem to always have a "15% off for new customers" coupon.

The 6+ is about as good as wheel gets. Very aero and pretty robust to tire choice. Tubeless, wide inner width, strong, reasonably light. You could read Gerlach's review and see what his discount is. I think the HEDs will be worth the extra 150-200$.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Aero - Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR thoughts on these wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion gents. I have two primary bike shops in my neck of the woods. I went to where my fitter works (GREAT Tri friend shop) and that's where I saw the Bontrager wheels. But then yesterday I went to my teams shop (less tri friendly but it's the teams shop so a lot of my purchases are done there). Well they actually had ONE pair of Jet 6+ on sale.

So that's what I got. I will add a disc cover to the rear as suggested.

It's interesting, I have the IMAZ bike course loaded into bestbikesplit.com and when I simply switch from 30mm wheels to 60mm wheels that's only 1:14 worth of aero savings. I haven't run the rear disc numbers but I imagine that will be more than 1:14 over 112 miles.

Tom asked about goals which is a good question.

I have some short TT's coming up (5K to 10K) and it could be that 5 seconds or less could mean the difference between 1st or 2nd or podium vs. 4th. I also have a 40K TT in August/September.

Actually what really got me looking for wheels is that I ruined the front wheel of my roadie practicing crits so I took my front off my Felt B14 and moved it to the roadie. My felt is currently on the trainer with that messed up front wheel. But it's supposed to be 65 degrees Thursday and I though maybe I'd take the TT out for a spin. But then I have to jack with the rear wheel which has the trainer tire etc. Then I got a bonus from work and some extra $$$ show up so yeah, I got some new wheels.

Good stuff gents, thanks again!
Quote Reply