Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee stretches upsetting my MCL or Pes Anserine
Quote | Reply
Hello guys,

I recently developed a patellofemoral syndrome probably due to 3 causes:
- saddle too front forward and too low
- too much power too often on the indoor trainer
- overuse (I'm at 4500 km in Zwift since last November)

With my PT and according to the pain points when massaging, we believe that the VMO was the root cause because it was extremely sore. It took a full 2 weeks to get it back to life. I also eased up on training during these 2 weeks. Daily massages and re-positioning of the saddle allowed me to get back to Zwift.

Now the problem...

My PT gave me 6 stretching exercices. Two of them directly or indirectly pull on the MCL and Pes Anserine.

Even going extremely gentle, and making sure that all my muscles are warm, after these stretches, I feel pain in the MCL and Pes Anserine area for 1 to 2 days.

On the other hand, I also feel (somewhat... really not sure on this one) that these exercices are beneficial after the 1 to 2 days heal.

Should I keep going? Did you ever experience this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Knee stretches upsetting my MCL or Pes Anserine [Xcessiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the stretches that are upsetting it? Is the pain more MCL or Pet Anserine ( is little lower and little back) Have you had any other knee problems before?
Quote Reply
Re: Knee stretches upsetting my MCL or Pes Anserine [pav5069] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pav5069 wrote:
What are the stretches that are upsetting it? Is the pain more MCL or Pet Anserine ( is little lower and little back) Have you had any other knee problems before?

The pain is more on the Pet Anserine I would say.

Not sure exactly which one is the root cause, but one of these:

Last edited by: Xcessiv: Mar 13, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ho I forgot to answer the last question.

Yes, it's my third patellofemoral syndrome in 10 years. :( The road to recovery and exercises for the previous one also did upset my Pes Anserine.

I usually get it resolved in 2 to 4 weeks.
Last edited by: Xcessiv: Mar 13, 18 6:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll PM you soon. I got some ideas :) I’m about to get busy at work for alittle. I’ll pm you when it slows down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you do something that makes you worse for 2 days? This just limits your healing process. Tell your PT that sustained knee flexion is hurting you and the stretches should change. If they don't, then find another PT. More importantly, don't become obsessed with pain location and structure. Pain is more often referred than a product of the structure it is near. Do you have trouble with full knee flexion? Holding a knee flexed position for a prolonged period? You may have an issue within the knee joint that is slightly irritable with certain positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee stretches upsetting my MCL or Pes Anserine [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
Why would you do something that makes you worse for 2 days? This just limits your healing process. Tell your PT that sustained knee flexion is hurting you and the stretches should change. If they don't, then find another PT. More importantly, don't become obsessed with pain location and structure. Pain is more often referred than a product of the structure it is near. Do you have trouble with full knee flexion? Holding a knee flexed position for a prolonged period? You may have an issue within the knee joint that is slightly irritable with certain positions.

After reading a lot about the topic, I believe I overstretched my hamstrings which connect to the medial side of the knee and you are right, I did it wrong. My readings even lead me to believe that we should avoid stretching the hamstrings, or at least be extremely gently on them.

So you were right, my injured hamstrings were probably the culprits here, and the structure in cause.

I don't have trouble with full knee flexion.

I still need to find out what caused the apparent patellofemoral syndrome prior to the hamstring overstrech. I still believe the main cause is the saddle being too far forward, combined with overuse. 2 months ago, I considerably brought it forward because my bibs were slightly rubbing on the seat post. I was worried of damaging them. Big mistake...
Quote Reply