Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit?
Quote | Reply
Just got the Pioneer power meter L/R crankset installed and I'm going to stick with the Garmin 520 which I use on my other bikes for now. Can't find much in the way of instructions online, so I'll be experimenting.

If you're using a Pioneer L/R power crankset w/Garmin 520, what have you found to be the most useful information, and how did you access it on the 520?

I'm initially most curious about the L/R leg power comparison (since I've just been running a left-only Stages for the past few years).

And... since I'm expecting my left leg to produce significantly less power than the right under heavy workloads (due to previous major left knee injuries and persisting challenges with that knee), I'm wondering how to use that imbalance info, what the single power target will be for race time, and how that single number will be derived? Wondering if the single power number is an avg between L/R or something else?

Other than more accurate power measurement with the Left and Right setup, I don't know what else the Pioneer can tell me (without using their head unit, which I won't for now).

Thank you for any tips or links for recommended sites or videos to review. I've been looking at some already, but they're mostly focused on install and linking the meter to the head unit. Next to dig into the data setup for training and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. It transmits only basic data via a Garmin unit. All the HD metrics can only be transmitted via their head unit as it uses a different protocol. Then it really is info overload when you anlayze via cyclosphere. It's quite impressive on the data side, but the drawback is the need for the pioneer computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
You are correct. It transmits only basic data via a Garmin unit. All the HD metrics can only be transmitted via their head unit as it uses a different protocol. Then it really is info overload when you anlayze via cyclosphere. It's quite impressive on the data side, but the drawback is the need for the pioneer computer.

Thank you. Does the L/R individual data show up on Garmin Connect online, or only L/R individual if using Garmin Vector pedals? I’m trying to figure out if I don’t have the Pioneer computer, does that mean the L/R power crank data is lost in an average and never shown individually anywhere even retrospectively like in my Garmin account on the desktop.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll still get L/R balance, torque effectiveness and pedal smoothness data using your Garmin and you'll see it in Garmin connect.

Had the Pioneer computer for a while and found I didn't need the extra data it provided, plus magnets were a pain when switching between bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [amos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amos wrote:
You'll still get L/R balance, torque effectiveness and pedal smoothness data using your Garmin and you'll see it in Garmin connect.

Had the Pioneer computer for a while and found I didn't need the extra data it provided, plus magnets were a pain when switching between bikes.

That's good news! Can you view the comparison recorded throughout the ride in Connect, so you can see imbalances at different power levels? I'm assuming so, hoping so. :)

Is there any data which can be viewed on the Garmin while riding which shows independent L/R data, so it's not entirely retrospective in Connect?

I'm same as you, I don't want a hassle going from bike to bike. The Garmin as a standard for me keeps things simple, I like simple when it's possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you can see L/R at different power levels but not sure on TE or PS (I don't use Connect much and rarely look at the values anyway).

You can view all 3 - L/R, TE and PS on your Garmin while riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [amos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amos wrote:
I know you can see L/R at different power levels but not sure on TE or PS (I don't use Connect much and rarely look at the values anyway).

You can view all 3 - L/R, TE and PS on your Garmin while riding.

Is there some reference online for setting up the 520 to display data from the Pioneer unit? I contacted Pioneer, but they only have setup info for using their own computer (which I understand). I just figure so many people use the Garmin, there has to be some instructional info online for getting the most out of your L/R crank with a Garmin...somewhere... Been searching. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is link to a file I just uploaded to Garmin Connect. This was downloaded raw from Pioneer and imported.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/2551734935
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Here is link to a file I just uploaded to Garmin Connect. This was downloaded raw from Pioneer and imported.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/2551734935

Interesting!

So you had to manually download and upload, or just automatically sync your head unit with the Connect mobile app and the data got uploaded into your Connect online from the app on its own? (That’s how I do it now using my Stages and Garmin 520.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to download it manually and then upload to garmin. It will do it automatically for Strava and TP so I could actually sync to Strava and have Strava push it to Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
I had to download it manually and then upload to garmin. It will do it automatically for Strava and TP so I could actually sync to Strava and have Strava push it to Garmin.

Do you use the Garmin Connect mobile app?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, but really only for syncing my garmin devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Yep, but really only for syncing my garmin devices.

The way I have mine set up, I turn on BT on my phone and Garmin at the end of the ride, the Connect mobile app automatically grabs the ride data from my head unit and publishes it to my Connect account online and uploads to Strava at the same time.

Then, I go into the Strava mobile app to rename the ride, view segments, socialize, etc.

Pretty painless, no manual uploading rides for the past couple of years.

I think I used to have two Garmin devices added to the app, so it'd grab ride data from whichever one I was using. You may be able to do that if you have multiple Garmin devices, might be worth a try and could make uploading simpler. Or, I may be misunderstanding what you're doing and why, which is probable. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all. I just always have my Pioneer head unit operating so if I want it in Garmin I would go your route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Not at all. I just always have my Pioneer head unit operating so if I want it in Garmin I would go your route.

Makes sense. I've set up 3 data screens on a separate activity profile in my Garmin for using the Pioneer, so once I get some data, I'll share and it'll be fun to see some imbalance data staring me in the face. :)

My left knee is not so good, so I'm expecting a higher than avg power drop at high efforts on that side, will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you get true L/R you will see imbalances, but play with cadences, and wattages, that is where things get interesting...as most have posted here, at near max efforts, everyone leans towards 50/50, but after that it can be a crap shoot...single legs can help at lower wattages and threshold efforts to smooth it out a bit, but 1-2% off isn't bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Once you get true L/R you will see imbalances, but play with cadences, and wattages, that is where things get interesting...as most have posted here, at near max efforts, everyone leans towards 50/50, but after that it can be a crap shoot...single legs can help at lower wattages and threshold efforts to smooth it out a bit, but 1-2% off isn't bad.

Yep, I'm curious about all of this, it will be interesting learning...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is exactly my setup. I have never used the Pioneer head unit. I don't get the feeling I'm missing anything. I guess it would be nice to know the balance and everything but even if I had it, I don't see myself actually being able to make meaningful "balance adjustments" based on the data.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
That is exactly my setup. I have never used the Pioneer head unit. I don't get the feeling I'm missing anything. I guess it would be nice to know the balance and everything but even if I had it, I don't see myself actually being able to make meaningful "balance adjustments" based on the data.

I'll report back once I fool around with the data screens, trying to eyeball imbalance on the Garmin head unit if possible.

In my case, first in importance is just getting an accurate power target to aim for in steady efforts (TT for example), and with my injured left knee, doubling that power output from a left-only power crank arm has got to be way off, I'm thinking... So if I can at least get a reasonable averaging of both legs, so the power targets are good to work with, that'll be a plus.

Beyond that, I'm curious to see if at a higher workload, my left knee starts to feed back pain (like when I'm doing single leg squats or split squats) and causes lower output on that side and the imbalance starts to widen. If that's actually what's happening, not sure what I can do about it, other than to know when it kicks in, and to be mindful of that with power targeting. Holy crap, this is all nonsense, let's just ride, and put baseball cards in the spokes again! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have had nothing but issues using the Pioneer power meter with the Garmin 520. I switched the mode from "pedaling monitor" to "ANT+ power" and the 520 picked up the sensor. However, when riding, we get no power numbers of any type. I find we only get power readings when using the Pioneer cyclometer. The 520 display is so much easier to read, but with no numbers, its basically useless. When we use the 520 with the Quarq power meter, on a different bike, we have zero issues. We don't care a lot about the detailed numbers, but we would like to get the riding power numbers on the 520 and the Phenix 5. Anyone have any ideas? I've searched all the articles and have tried literally every suggestion. It just seems like the Pioneer is not sending the information to the 520.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're the first person I've heard report that. I own 3 Pioneers and switch my 520 among them with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me your secret. What am I doing incorrectly? Any help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for using the Pioneer Power Meter L/R crankset with Garmin head unit? [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's a secret. You've either got a defective 520 or a defective PM

...or maybe you really weren't in ANT+ mode when you thought you were. I'm not so sure that merely finding the 520 necessarily means its in the right mode. Maybe try switching it again...
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 12, 18 23:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll give it another try.
Thanks for the info. 👍🏻
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to the data fields that are available on the 520 -- how many will work with your PM is a ??? https://www8.garmin.com/...E9-802451B0604C.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next