Prev Next
Do you feel attacked for being...?
Quote | Reply
Straight
Christian
White
Supporting Gun Rights
Male

This is Trump's bases', at least as represented by my Uncle, apparent sense of victim hood.

I find it interesting that until Trump came along as far as I was aware he wasn't religious in the least and if he is, he's awful profane. In fact the only time I've ever heard him talk about or refer in any way, shape or form to Christianity is to his these Facebook posts about being under attack. Even at Dinner at his house no grace is said, which at least my Christian in name only family did when I was growing up. Until the school shooting in FL I didn't know he had any care about guns at all. He doesn't own them. He's not even a hunter. Now he can't stop posting about them.

Is this what people talk about when referring to "identity politics"?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

No, this sounds like Constitutional rights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meet all that criteria, except I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't feel attacked. I think there are different segments of society that show contempt for people with some of those traits - but I've never felt attacked. I might feel differently if I attended something at Berkeley or at some leftist rallies - but overall, no.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you don't have a constitutional right to not be "attacked" for pretty much anything, including all those things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Are you talking about speech? (Both the criticism and defense of the list of traits)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Straight
Christian
White
Supporting Gun Rights
Male

This is Trump's bases', at least as represented by my Uncle, apparent sense of victim hood.

I find it interesting that until Trump came along as far as I was aware he wasn't religious in the least and if he is, he's awful profane. In fact the only time I've ever heard him talk about or refer in any way, shape or form to Christianity is to his these Facebook posts about being under attack. Even at Dinner at his house no grace is said, which at least my Christian in name only family did when I was growing up. Until the school shooting in FL I didn't know he had any care about guns at all. He doesn't own them. He's not even a hunter. Now he can't stop posting about them.

Attacked? No. But, I'm covered in tattoos, so people have been "judging" me for years, so I am used to the tut-tut crowd (which consists of people from all political persuasions).

Trump seems to be giving a certain segment of the population the green light to speak up about "issues" that are not issues. He is pushing segments of Right to take a page from the Team Donkey playbook and cry victim.

This stuff happened long before Trump. Remember Obama's comments about clutching guns and Bibles? Remember Romney's comments about the 47% who pay no taxes?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I meet all that criteria, except I'm not a Trump supporter. I don't feel attacked. I think there are different segments of society that show contempt for people with some of those traits - but I've never felt attacked. I might feel differently if I attended something at Berkeley or at some leftist rallies - but overall, no.

Yeah, I'm pretty much all those except a Christian.

I've only ever felt attacked once for any of them and that was for being a male. A female colleague sent around the results of survey that showed that females don't think males help out enough in academic programs.

I'm an atheist, which I think are held in less esteem than even Muslims by many Americans, yet I've never even felt attacked for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you don't have a constitutional right to not be "attacked" for pretty much anything, including all those things.

I'm not talking about being attacked.

Freedom of religion and the 2nd Amendment; many people, even if they don't own a gun, and aren't particularly religious, bristle at attempts to take away or curtail Constitutional rights.

As far as free speech, there have been many occasions recently, where white, christian males, were basically told to sit down, and shut up. That they didn't have a voice in whatever 'conversation' was going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He is pushing segments of Right to take a page from the Team Donkey playbook and cry victim.

Yeah, if not wanting to pay for someone else's birth control is a "War on Women", and "taking away their reproductive rights", it's pretty easy to see how other groups might now feel "under attack."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Trump seems to be giving a certain segment of the population the green light to speak up about "issues" that are not issues. He is pushing segments of Right to take a page from the Team Donkey playbook and cry victim.

It's fascinating.

As he alternates these posts with vulgar jokes. Pretty tasteless, "locker room" stuff that you would think anybody would know not just to broadcast on Facebook. My mother has said he is "disgusting" as a result of these posts.

It's also interesting that in at that bottom of the post about being attacked for those things, it said something like " I'm kind, don't discriminate and just want to be treated decently."

I'm not sure who's treating him so badly. He's management at a utility company, not exactly some peon.

He also routinely refers to black people as niggers and I've heard him actually say "I would never hire a towel head" in reference to Muslims.

So he actually is guilty of some of the things people accuse "deplorables" of being yet he's playing up the victim card on social media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This stuff happened long before Trump.

Right. It's also the first time a prominent Republican politician gave legitimacy and power to those sentiments, as far as I can tell. There's always been the Pat Buchanan faction of the right, but Trump is really the first one to channel it through Average Joe populism. I suppose that was inevitable, as the left moves further left into identity and victimhood politics. It's been building on the right for some time now.

I wouldn't at all say I feel attacked, but I will say it's undeniable to anyone paying attention that people are increasingly viewing progress and success as a zero sum game and that "cis" white males are the power structure that needs to be upended. Society seems to be far less concerned about the plight of men (white men in particular) even though the data suggests that men are falling behind the curve in substantial numbers, in areas that really matter. Drug abuse, unemployment, suicide, college admissions, homelessness, etc.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
As far as free speech, there have been many occasions recently, where white, christian males, were basically told to sit down, and shut up. That they didn't have a voice in whatever 'conversation' was going on.

Is that what the first amendment protects?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Society seems to be far less concerned about the plight of men (white men in particular) even though the data suggests that men are falling behind the curve in substantial numbers, in areas that really matter. Drug abuse, unemployment, suicide, college admissions, homelessness, etc.

It's probably time to check on that privilege.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In progress...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I wouldn't at all say I feel attacked, but I will say it's undeniable to anyone paying attention that people are increasingly viewing progress and success as a zero sum game and that "cis" white males are the power structure that needs to be upended. Society seems to be far less concerned about the plight of men (white men in particular) even though the data suggests that men are falling behind the curve in substantial numbers, in areas that really matter. Drug abuse, unemployment, suicide, college admissions, homelessness, etc.

Had it too easy for too long :)

Even among the "high achieving" students we get in our professional graduate program which is usually skewed toward females, it seems like the slackers are always males. Probably flunk out rate is similar male/female but it seems like every cohort there are a few males who are just chronic slackers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Had it too easy for too long :)

Even among the "high achieving" students we get in our professional graduate program which is usually skewed toward females, it seems like the slackers are always males. Probably flunk out rate is similar male/female but it seems like every cohort there are a few males who are just chronic slackers.

I do the hiring for my law firm. Female law school grads seem to be out-pacing their male counterparts. I hired 3 women in a row and, in all three cases, I struggled to find male candidates worthy of even making it through the screening process to get to the interview process. In my little corner of the world, it sure seems like the women are simply working harder and achieving more as a result.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Straight
Christian
White
Supporting Gun Rights
Male
Your uncle sounds a lot like.. ChrisCooper's character in "American Beauty"...

Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Straight
Christian
White
Supporting Gun Rights
Male

Your uncle sounds a lot like.. ChrisCooper's character in "American Beauty"...

That movie has been on my list to watch again for a long time. I remember it as excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

I'm not talking about being attacked.

Freedom of religion and the 2nd Amendment; many people, even if they don't own a gun, and aren't particularly religious, bristle at attempts to take away or curtail Constitutional rights.

So that is the other side exercising their free speech rights to say shut the f up and sit down. It isn't taking away the white folks ability to say whatever the hell they want. They just don't have to be given a platform to do it. But they could put it on a website for anyone to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting how you rarely see right wing protesters shutting down progressive speakers and taking away their platforms.

Why is that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's interesting how you rarely see right wing protesters shutting down progressive speakers and taking away their platforms.

Why is that?

Horse pucky. It absolutely goes both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m another one that hits every one of those boxes, minus trump supporter.

I live in a very, very liberal (but not Cali-liberal ;) ) house, city(ish), and state. There are times where people speak out against a lot of these different boxes here, but I don’t feel personally attacked. I feel like people are expressing their views and opinions, and they might stand for things that I don’t, and I might stand for things they don’t. But that’s human nature. If everyone had the exact same views, what fun would that be? (:

Now I will agree that there are people on all sides that convey their message poorly, and I have been “shamed” that I am a white male so it’s my fault that people are treated poorly, and that I am a Christian so I must not believe in science. However, maybe it’s my rather relaxed attitude about life, but I don’t feel personally attacked by those people. I just feel that they don’t understand my views or life, so I will attempt to help them understand what my life is like and what my views are, and I will attempt to do the same about them. I don’t think of it as attacking me, more then just not understanding.

Oh well, who knows what i’m even saying anymore, I’ve got to go to class now 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote Reply
Re: Do you feel attacked for being...? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prove it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Why is that?

Because conservatives are no longer culturally ascendant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Prove it.

I can't. Just my perception.
Maybe it's because right wingers realize the left is always right. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next