Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!!
Quote | Reply
So, often when I run for longer than an hour at a time, I will get pretty severe nausea and stomach pain after my run. I've tried changing what I eat before running, but nothing seems to help. It doesn't happen with shorter runs, longer rides, or swimming, just with running. After we finish running I'll usually crave something like pickles and even drinking the juice along with rest and water will help the nausea and eventually cause the pain to subside.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? What have you done to help this? Some have suggested higher salt/sodium intake. Others have suggested not eating before running ( I usually wait an hour or two after eating before running). Some have suggested Zantac or acid reducers before running. I'm just not sure what is going on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!! [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you fueling or hydrating during a long run? Are you bonking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What time of day do you run, and when how long before that do you have food? And what do you typically eat before your run? If you’re an afternoon runner, it may be as simple as eating less or waiting longer between your last meal and your run.

For me, if I run in the afternoon, I need wait at least 3-4 hours before I try a long or hard run.
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!! [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No bonking. I'm trying different hydrating/fueling strategies during the run. So far, nothing has made a huge impact. Things high in carbs/calories don't seem to help much. I've tried Gatorade endurance and Tailwind nutrition drinks. Neither changed anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may need to eat something after your long run. I know with me I can run long, and fuel appropriately, but if I do not eat something substantial within 45 minuets of a long run I may get nauseous and feel pukey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your running history?
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!! [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you force yourself to eat? Normally, I am not hungry for at least 45min-1hr after running and trying to eat directly after a run isn't easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem for a while then i found that i just wasn't hydrating enough during and after my runs. I know it sounds simple but just drink more electrolytes (EFS, SKRACH, Gatorade) during and a lot more after.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up until the last 3 years, very strong. I've run about 10 HMs and a few sprint/Olympic triathlons. The last 3 years I have struggled with several bouts of illness, had some major life changes, and my running has been pretty inconsistent. I've managed to keep a solid workout schedule, but mostly strength training or HIIT training. Over the last 6 months, I've increased my running/biking/swimming intensity as I am shooting for 70.3 Raleigh this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdisciple wrote:
The last 3 years I have struggled with several bouts of illness, had some major life changes

There could be a possible link here. Antibiotic use? Stress?
My wife has had stress and health issues and similar symptoms.
The probiotics in Kefir seem to help her a lot. Also, eating food with raw onion.... like bruschetta.
Might not be your solution... just throwing out ideas.

Does running at a slower pace improve things, or the same?
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree there may be something there. I've been consulting with some physicians and nothing definite has come out as far as cause and effect between them. They do suggest just giving my body time to fully recover.

I'll have to try some of those suggestions! hopefully something will help at least a little. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I am not hungry right after my run. I force myself to take in some sort of nutrition like a protein shake. I just know that in a hour or so I will need to eat some real food or I will start to feel bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I've dealt with this issue for more than 30 years of running. It doesn't happen on all runs. The nausea and pain for me is almost always associated with an increase in distance and/or stressful intervals. Many times (when I was younger and trained harder) I would get back from a run and just lay on the couch and hold my gut in pain. Just awful.

I went through all kinds of tests. I was scoped with cameras from both ends. I drank barium to allow xrays to track fluid movement through my digestive track. Tried eliminating foods for allergies. Nothing ever turned up.

The bad news is my doctors eventually gave up and just called it some type of exercise-induced Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). You can find a lot on this online.

Over the years I've associated various foods to increasing the likelihood of a problem. High fiber foods like carrots or even peanuts can trigger an issue. But the biggest trigger for me is abdominal stress...and when I run hard I can almost guarantee I'm going to have this problem.

The good news is "running hard" shifts as I got more fit. The intervals that blew up my gut a month ago don't bother me because my fitness improved so that workout is less stressful.

Best of luck. It's a tough problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdisciple wrote:
I agree there may be something there. I've been consulting with some physicians and nothing definite has come out as far as cause and effect between them. They do suggest just giving my body time to fully recover.

I'll have to try some of those suggestions! hopefully something will help at least a little. Thanks!

It also could be that your lactate threshold is very low for running, therefore it doesn't take much intensity or volume to upset your stomach.
It might be that you just need to slowly build both over time in order to improve and/or eliminate the symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get this too and, like you, salt helps. I've also had pickle juice straight out of the jar :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try separating fueling from hydration.

Drink water and consume a gel every 35 - 45 minutes and see how you feel. If you feel your electrolytes might be off, maybe take a few salt licks in between too.

As others have said your body will divert blood flow away from your gut during strenuous exercise. So, maybe your operating above your threshold and need to slow yourself down a bit.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems after running - PLEASE HELP!!! [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
I feel your pain. I've dealt with this issue for more than 30 years of running. It doesn't happen on all runs. The nausea and pain for me is almost always associated with an increase in distance and/or stressful intervals. Many times (when I was younger and trained harder) I would get back from a run and just lay on the couch and hold my gut in pain. Just awful.

I went through all kinds of tests. I was scoped with cameras from both ends. I drank barium to allow xrays to track fluid movement through my digestive track. Tried eliminating foods for allergies. Nothing ever turned up.

The bad news is my doctors eventually gave up and just called it some type of exercise-induced Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). You can find a lot on this online.

Over the years I've associated various foods to increasing the likelihood of a problem. High fiber foods like carrots or even peanuts can trigger an issue. But the biggest trigger for me is abdominal stress...and when I run hard I can almost guarantee I'm going to have this problem.

The good news is "running hard" shifts as I got more fit. The intervals that blew up my gut a month ago don't bother me because my fitness improved so that workout is less stressful.

Best of luck. It's a tough problem.

Me three. Any kind of hard and/or long run workout will have my stomach in knots; I’m sprinting for a toilet once per week and suffer from several bouts of diarrhea after particularly hard runs and always after races. I haven’t been able to get a medical answer or define specific triggers, but it’s been particularly bad the past 6 months as my mileage has increased. A crappy problem, and a pain in the ass ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've experienced what I imagine is similar - anywhere from 30-90 minutes after a hard (for me) run, whether it was distance- or interval-induced, the nausea and vomiting would start. It's pretty miserable. Ensuring I had actually eaten BEFORE my run has seemed to make a difference - it meant I had calories in my system before any significant effort rather than trying to catch back up with nutrition during the workout.

To be clear, my stomach problems were LONG AFTER my workout, not during or immediately following. Haven't experienced in a while, so there's hope! Feel free to reach out with questions even if you think they're TMI.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure: My wife is the one who's been having this problem. I wasn't sure if she'd approve of me posting about her without her permission at first, but she actually asked that I make sure everyone know it's her. Lol

Thank you all for your tips! It's encouraging to know that as lactate threshold increases and "hard" changes with fitness that there may be some improvement.

We are working on hydrating more during the run as well as incorporating gels, chews, and electrolyte pills before and after exercise to see if any of those help.

I'll keep everyone updated if we find anything that brings significant positive improvement!
Quote Reply