Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t.
Quote | Reply
Saying "god bless you" after someone sneezes their germs all over your face, instead of the sneezer saying "excuse me."

Daylight effing savings time.

Solid red turn lights when flashing red turn lights exist.

There are others. It will never change. We don't do change.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't fucking bless me. Keep your mythology to yourself.

Why are we changing our clocks and not just our schedules?

What is a turn light? Is that like a turn signal or is it like a stoplight. Or us it their bastard love child?

ETA - why can't my phone understand that I speak colorfully? Why would I call something a basted love child? That makes no sense. That should be at the top of the list of things needing fixed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Mar 10, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Saying "god bless you" after someone sneezes their germs all over your face, instead of the sneezer saying "excuse me."

who doesn’t say excuse me ?

i agree wholeheartedly with this one

insert Hillary who cares meme

that’s not what Obama said !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

gesundheit - means to the person to be in good health. Been using it for a while.

George Bush changed it. (extended it, which is what everyone wants) I used to get a 25 hour birthday so I have researched this extensively. TV lobbyists is all I ever find.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gun laws

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I think saying "God bless you" dates to the Black Death, when a sneeze could have indicated pneumonic plague (rather than bubonic, which gave its victims the characteristic blackened skin from buboes). Pneumonic was far more contagious than bubonic. Maybe "God bless you" was kind of shamanic term, a way of warding off the Grim Reaper? Just blue-skying here. ;-)

I'm with you on GOTTDAMN stupid DST. Stupidest thing ever.

Ditto on the red turn lights.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate DST. Just move it forward an hour and keep it there.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Don't fucking bless me. Keep your mythology to yourself.

Why are we changing our clocks and not just our schedules?

What is a turn light? Is that like a turn signal or is it like a stoplight. Or us it their bastard love child?

ETA - why can't my phone understand that I speak colorfully? Why would I call something a basted love child? That makes no sense. That should be at the top of the list of things needing fixed.

I told my 5 year old the other day to say "excuse me" after he sneezed a plume in my direction that would make a Maid of the Mist captain reverse course. Mrs sphere looked at me like I had two heads before offering the obligatory blessing and issuing a lifelong pardon from the burden of excusing himself in such instances. Because that's the logical order of events after you coat someone in a slimy blanket of pathogens...

I love being the only one near someone when they sneeze, just to let the awkward silence of an absent "bless you" hang in the air. Gives them time to think about what a self-obsessed jerk I am, and maybe, just maybe, think about why they would think that for not blessing them.

Last edited by: sphere: Mar 11, 18 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

A stop light turn arrow for vehicles turning left across oncoming traffic.

There are two reasons for these. One, to allow turning vehicles the opportunity to turn when oncoming traffic volume would be otherwise prohibitive, and two, to allow vehicles to turn safely where visibility for oncoming traffic is poor (bend in the road, coming over a hill, etc.).

Some regions have a flashing red arrow, meaning turn when safe, after coming to a stop. Sensible for intersections that use an arrow for scenario one described above. There is no reason whatsoever to maintain a solid red arrow when your direction has the green light, with full visibility of oncoming traffic, or the absence thereof. At least five turn arrows in my daily commute do this. Not another car in sight, half a mile of oncoming roadway visible, but I'm not allowed to make the turn. It's absolutely maddening.

I treat them as stop signs now far more often than not. Everyone should. Make them obsolete. It's not like they'll ticket everyone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I love being the only one near someone when they sneeze, just to let the awkward silence of an absent "bless you" hang in the air. Gives them time to think about what a self-obsessed jerk I am, and maybe, just maybe, think about why they would think that for not blessing them

What started as a joke because when you sneeze your heart stops for a second or something , my wife and sister say “bless you love you”. Because that could be the last thing you hear.

My kids say it all the time so for awhile I was in the habit of saying it.

At work one of the girls who sit outside of my office sneezed and “bless you love you “ came out of my mouth. That was some seriously awkward silence until I explained.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

“Basted love child” sounds like a boozy dessert!

My phone usually guesses wrong on using apostrophes with dates. If I write “five months” it almost alway defaults to the possessive, regardless of the usage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you've got your toolbelts out, you guys know the 'Metric System' exists right!?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this better?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

A stop light turn arrow for vehicles turning left across oncoming traffic.

There are two reasons for these. One, to allow turning vehicles the opportunity to turn when oncoming traffic volume would be otherwise prohibitive, and two, to allow vehicles to turn safely where visibility for oncoming traffic is poor (bend in the road, coming over a hill, etc.).

Some regions have a flashing red arrow, meaning turn when safe, after coming to a stop. Sensible for intersections that use an arrow for scenario one described above. There is no reason whatsoever to maintain a solid red arrow when your direction has the green light, with full visibility of oncoming traffic, or the absence thereof. At least five turn arrows in my daily commute do this. Not another car in sight, half a mile of oncoming roadway visible, but I'm not allowed to make the turn. It's absolutely maddening.

I treat them as stop signs now far more often than not. Everyone should. Make them obsolete. It's not like they'll ticket everyone.

Sounds like your complaint is basically that you don’t get to go whenever you want. I mean, you could have the same complaint about regular non-turn lane red lights at non-busy intersections. Why do you have to wait for the green when you can see that there’s no traffic coming?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Just want to go when it makes sense to go, just like every other car moving with the green light has the opportunity to go. Right hand turns don't have to wait. Straight ahead, no wait. Many intersections have a turn arrow that just goes dark after yellow, allowing people to turn when traffic allows. The problem is high traffic areas that only use those turn arrows to allow drivers the opportunity to turn before traffic starts flowing, then turn red thereafter for no sensible reason. Lights that serve that primary purpose, where oncoming traffic is clearly visible, should go dark or flash red to allow people to keep moving safely. It's bad design that causes needless delay.

Last edited by: sphere: Mar 11, 18 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
gun laws

That's a tough topic that will never change. We would have a full on revolution if something drastic ever happened. I look at my own family as how tough this topic is. Democrats in every way except for gun laws. But we definitely have a problem in this country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I told my 5 year old the other day to say "excuse me" after he sneezed a plume in my direction that would make a Maid of the Mist captain reverse course. Mrs sphere looked at me like I had two heads before offering the obligatory blessing and issuing a lifelong pardon from the burden of excusing himself in such instances. Because that's the logical order of events after you coat someone in a slimy blanket of pathogens...

I love being the only one near someone when they sneeze, just to let the awkward silence of an absent "bless you" hang in the air. Gives them time to think about what a self-obsessed jerk I am, and maybe, just maybe, think about why they would think that for not blessing them.

100% this. Thank you for your service.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We in the upper latitudes enjoy the extra sun in the evening don't we? I'd prefer if it was dark until noon then we had sun light until 9 every night. Leaving work at 4:30 in the dark gets old fast.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Nope. Just want to go when it makes sense to go, just like every other car moving with the green light has the opportunity to go. Right hand turns don't have to wait. Straight ahead, no wait. Many intersections have a turn arrow that just goes dark after yellow, allowing people to turn when traffic allows. The problem is high traffic areas that only use those turn arrows to allow drivers the opportunity to turn before traffic starts flowing, then turn red thereafter for no sensible reason. Lights that serve that primary purpose, where oncoming traffic is clearly visible, should go dark or flash red to allow people to keep moving safely. It's bad design that causes needless delay.

What we need is roundabouts. Of course, that will never happen. (not in the city anyway, I am seeing them in rural areas around Ontario more and more).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [Moshy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moshy wrote:
While you've got your toolbelts out, you guys know the 'Metric System' exists right!?!?
I can cut lumber to the 16th of an inch.
Show me a carpenter who can cut lumber to the millimeter? -- and I'll show you a guy who's missing fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

What we need is roundabouts. Of course, that will never happen. (not in the city anyway, I am seeing them in rural areas around Ontario more and more).

You really don’t. When no one is used to them they become a cluster of people to scared to go. We have them in a couple places in Colorado, it’s always interesting watching people trying to figure out who’s turn it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of our local traffic engineers has drunk the roundabout Kool-aid... they've definitely started sprouting up at more and more road projects around town. My wife is another one of those who will drive hell and gone out of her way to avoid them, but then she's a terrible and fearful driver, which only compounds the issue in self-fulfilling fashion when she encounters one instead of just getting used to them like any other common aspect of driving.

I've seen the data & so on about measurable throughput so I understand the advantage in system performance metrics at least in theory, although that often gets hamstrung when there are both conventional light controls and roundabouts in near succession so that they don't work as well as intended with the added 'clumping'; they definitely need to be implemented selectively to the extent they're part of a more integrated system design.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People's intransigence is why we never fix shit around here. Adopt the metric system like the rest of the universe? Mass hysteria. Traffic circles? Too lazy to figure that shit out (New Jersey being a shining exception: we mastered that shit). Sensible traffic solutions like flashing turn arrows? Billion car pile-ups. Pass a goddam budget in Washington? Crazy talk.

We just don't fix shit around here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

You really don’t. When no one is used to them they become a cluster of people to scared to go. We have them in a couple places in Colorado, it’s always interesting watching people trying to figure out who’s turn it is.

No, you really DO want roundabouts. They are far superior to traffic lights for keeping traffic flowing. Even mini-roundabouts in tight, town junctions work well. Traffic lights are ignorant to what is actually happening in terms of traffic demand in each direction, leaving vehicles often sitting at a red light waiting for nothing. Roundabouts allow humans to process real time information and proceed when safe to do so.

They are also more environmentally friendly (less idling) and reduce fatal traffic accidents (people slow down for roundabouts and dont run red lights).

If you (one) can't figure out how to use them, you shouldn't be driving at all. They are not complicated in the slightest.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we fix this s#!t? We will never fix this s#!t. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our state did a study, round a bouts have something like 80% fewer accidents than traffic lights and cost way less.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Mar 13, 18 9:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next