Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DST Is a Killer?
Quote | Reply
Add this to the list of things to pick your side to argue. I love DST, but one of the other old guys who swims at the pool while I'm there thinks DST is a communist plot against God and country.

There are always articles on how DST is killing us at this time of year.

"Researchers estimate that car crashes in the US caused by sleepy daylight-saving drivers likely cost 30 extra people their lives over the nine-year period from 2002-2011."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/daylight-saving-time-is-literally-killing-us/ar-BBK1S1A?li=BBnbcA1

30 deaths over a nine year span? Since about 80 people die on the highways every day, how was this determined to be due to DST?

I know the following is from CNN (so undoubtably fake news), but it was interesting.

"The majority of people, 55%, actually aren't disrupted at all by DST. That was the finding of a Princeton Survey Research Associates International survey in 2017. Now, a healthy minority, 41%, said that they were at least a little disrupted by DST, but among all Americans only 13% said it was a major disruption. Indeed, the limited high quality public polling data finds that there's not some great crusade for Americans to switch away from having DST and standard time. Three years ago, a CBS News survey found that a majority of Americans 54% were either okay with the current situation or had no opinion on the subject. Even among those who wanted a change, they were split evenly between those who wanted DST all year or not at all."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/10/politics/america-stop-complaining-daylight-saving-time/index.html

Go to bed an hour early on Saturday night. Or don't ever travel across a time zone from west to east.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have kids? DST turns them into time confused zombies for the better part of the week.
Last edited by: timbasile: Mar 11, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it's not just kids.
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Do you have kids? DST turns them into time confused zombies for the better part of the week.
I was a kid. I've had kids. I teach kids now.

Not a problem.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

I honestly just don't understand people who find DST to be this big hassle. Change your clock. It's one freakin hour. It's not 3 or 4 time zones or anything. I've traveled all over the world, over many time zones, and never had it take longer than a couple of days to adjust. 1 hour is basically nothing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a genetic throwback to our farmer ancestry when nothing was too trivial to complain about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

I honestly just don't understand people who find DST to be this big hassle. Change your clock. It's one freakin hour. It's not 3 or 4 time zones or anything. I've traveled all over the world, over many time zones, and never had it take longer than a couple of days to adjust. 1 hour is basically nothing.

So if its no big deal, STOP doing it. There is a group of people who it is a big deal to. It serves little to no purpose. It wastes energy (or at best saves nothing). Its dumb and pointless and as congress proved a few years ago, simply put there to serve whoever wants to pay for it. Recently you may recall they extended it, with the candy industry being a big supporter as they thought it would make Halloween a bigger thing, having more daylight.. (around here it backfired, as kids went out later and has less time). Time is time, set the stupid clock's and forget about it.

If you thing its a bunch of complainers, talk to a dairy farmer. Cows don't really understand.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Mar 11, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

So if its no big deal, STOP doing it. There is a group of people who it is a big deal to. It serves little to no purpose. It wastes energy (or at best saves nothing). Its dumb and pointless and as congress proved a few years ago, simply put there to serve whoever wants to pay for it. Recently you may recall they extended it, with the candy industry being a big supporter as they thought it would make Halloween a bigger thing, having more daylight.. (around here it backfired, as kids went out later and has less time). Time is time, set the stupid clock's and forget about it.

If you thing its a bunch of complainers, talk to a dairy farmer. Cows don't really understand.

I'm not defending DST. I don't care if we do it or not. I'm just saying that I don't understand the people who get all up in arms about how horrible it is for them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

People sit on the trainer for hours, spend hours completing triathlons but complain about changing their clocks twice a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

I agree it isn't a hassle. But, I don't understand why we don't spring forward and stay there. It was great to still have sunlight as late as almost 7 pm tonight. I would like to have it that way all year round.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I agree it isn't a hassle. But, I don't understand why we don't spring forward and stay there. It was great to still have sunlight as late as almost 7 pm tonight. I would like to have it that way all year round.
I'd vote for Trump if he could get everyone to stay on DST year-round. (Maybe.)

Sunrise at 0530 (here on the eastern border of the Mountain Time Zone) is a waste of daylight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

Yeah, but we could also just change the time of day we do things and leave the clocks where they are. Want people to have an extra hour of daylight? Have them go to work an hour earlier. Too dark in the morning for kids going to school? Start school at 9 instead of 8.

I can go to work any time between 6 and 9 in the morning. But instead I love to have DST come around so I have more light in the evening. I am an idiot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

I'm not defending DST. I don't care if we do it or not. I'm just saying that I don't understand the people who get all up in arms about how horrible it is for them.

Well like I said, think of any livestock farmer. The animals don't change their schedule. People like my wife, run on a very regimented schedule. If she goes to be 30 min off her schedule, look out. So for the next 2 or 3 days, best to stay away. Now me, I go to bed sometime between 10 pm and 3 am and get up sometime between 5am and noon. So this hour change, not a biggie. But Its just dumb, serves no point, and should just end.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

I never notice it, but I'm not really on anyone else's schedule. I wake up between about 3:30 and 4:30 am regardless of time of year, into work by 5:30-6am. I set an alarm for 4:30 but it's very rare that it wakes me.

Of course, I wouldn't mind be able to sleep later, but that's just not me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

Agreed. I would love year round DST. I'd rather have sunlight at night than the morning.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Not a problem.

Its not a big deal, for me. And for most adults it shouldn't be. But it turns my kids into insane monsters for a few days.

My vote is to move the clocks forward and leave them there. Why change back for winter? I don't care if it's dark in the morning.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
"Researchers estimate that car crashes in the US caused by sleepy daylight-saving drivers likely cost 30 extra people their lives over the nine-year period from 2002-2011."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/daylight-saving-time-is-literally-killing-us/ar-BBK1S1A?li=BBnbcA1

30 deaths over a nine year span? Since about 80 people die on the highways every day, how was this determined to be due to DST?..

I am sure its pretty simple, to look at avg deaths per day, for specific days over a period of time (9yrs for this study) and notice the days following a time change have a slight (but statistically significant) uptick. Pretty simple if you know where to look for the data.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: DST Is a Killer? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

30 deaths over a nine year span? Since about 80 people die on the highways every day, how was this determined to be due to DST?..

I am sure its pretty simple, to look at avg deaths per day, for specific days over a period of time (9yrs for this study) and notice the days following a time change have a slight (but statistically significant) uptick. Pretty simple if you know where to look for the data.
Maybe they (the 3-4 "additional" deaths compared to the average 80 deaths) were all on Spring Break?

While any death is sad, goodness knows how many other things likely cost 30 (and even more) extra people their lives over the nine-year period from 2002-2011.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

I grew up in Indiana, which used to be on Indiana Time and didn't observe DST. Now they observe DST but they still have some very strange time anomalies, to the point where they have their own Wiki Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

When I joined the Navy Indiana was on EST and Chicago was on EDST (So CST). Then in the middle of boot camp we changed the clocks back to EST. Being the only person in the group that had never seen DST I was a little confused, especially when I was told my balls to 4 barracks watch was going to be 5 hours long.

The problem with DST is that there are a lot things in the world that have no idea that humans changed the clocks. The cows need fed at the same time, the chickens do their thing at the same time, etc. Kids that got on the school bus in the day light suddenly have to get on in the dark. In some cases that means that the morning chores either cause you to miss the bus, or someone else has to do them, because the animals don't care if the clocks changed.

I now live far from that life and I like DST, but I understand the people that hate it with a passion.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply