Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disney for adults
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain this to a guy that doesn’t get it?

I am not judging you, I just don’t understand the draw for adults to go to Disney without kids.

Sell me on it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Disney for adults [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I am not judging you, I just don’t understand the draw for adults to go to Disney without kids.

Sell me on it.

Nostalgia.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Disney for adults [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Sell me on it.

Nostalgia.

Concur. Either nostalgia for my own childhood, or times spent at Disneyland/California Adventure with my wife and daughter. Nothing but great memories.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it either.

While wife and I were living in Florida, we went to Universal Studios with a couple we are friends with. The mother of the woman in the couple had died the year before after a long, difficult illness (cancer). While sick, the mother had gotten hooked on the Harry Potter books and became a superfan, and traveled to Universal Studios to go to Harry Potter world as one of her last trips she could do while relatively healthy. Woman in the couple wanted to go see it herself, as part of some sort of understanding/closure process around her mother's death. I kind of, sort of, understood that, but it was a very specific one-off explanation.

Unrelated story: I used to work at a med device company in Florida. Chief Science Officer was a blunt, outspoken Englishwoman who was the daughter of a career English Army officer and had the regimented no-nonsense demeanor to go with it. She used to spend many weekends and holidays working informational kiosks and the like at Disney, just because she loved it there. I never understood it and thought it was really counter-intuitive given her dragonlady persona at a serious company, with products whose success depended on her and her team being all business.
Last edited by: wimsey: Mar 8, 18 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We live in Southern California, grew up going there. Wife wanted to go for her birthday a couple years back, I'd have to say it was fun, more fun in California Adventure where they sell alcohol and the rides are better :) But at Disneyland all the classic rides are still fun to do once. Pirates, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion etc. Brings back good memories

That said, it's like Vegas for us. One day every 5 years (or more) is good enough.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 8, 18 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know an adult couple without kids, who love it there: "everything is so clean".
They even took their honeymoon there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Sell me on it.

You can do like my dad and ask Princess Ariel if she wants to go fishing sometime. He also hit on Tinkerbell, Cinderella, Snow White, Jasmine, Elsa, and Anna.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/travel/disney-springs-florida-restaurants.html

Timely article in the New York Times from 3 days ago. I took my children to Disney when they were 7 and 10. None of us had been and we will never go back. There was also an article about a Disney cruise - another circle of hell that I don't understand. Maybe I'm just grumpy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brain damage.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Disney a ton. As adults, with grown kids, we do it way differently than what you're likely picturing. We stay in a nice resort and a typical day look something like this. Wake up and go for a run, hang out by the pool, grab lunch, hit some tennis balls, head somewhere nice for dinner (there are a ton of great restaurants), wander into a park to see some fireworks and watch people. Mix in some shopping with the missus. If I'm there 4 days I might ride 4 rides. Won't wait in line more than 15 minutes for anything. There are non-Disney places in Orlando we like to go too. We're pretty low-key on the Disney part of Disney.

I totally get not getting it though. It's a different world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At its core Disney is an amusement park right ? Adults go for the rides ! It’s got to be better without kids dragging you down.

Or as someone else said , to hit on the characters.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Disney for adults [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Sell me on it.

Nostalgia.

It’s more than that. There is a couple I know who never went as kids. They go every year. Half the time without their kids.

I refuse to ask them about it as they are weird.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My folks never took us as kids. We couldn't afford it. Now that their children have all grown up, they got themselves a Disney Credit Card. Earn points toward your Disney Vacation with every purchase you make. It was their first real vacation after dad retired.

Translation: Don't go with your kids, go as adults to see what you've would have let them enjoy just so that you can tell them about it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it either...but my sister is another story. She went there for her honeymoon and a few times before her kids were born. She and her husband take the kids to Disney and I have no doubt she'll continue to go after they move out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t understand the draw WITH kids. My kids grew up within 45 minutes of Disneyland and they’ve been exactly twice.

I don’t get the amusement of amusement parks at all. The only one I think is worthy is Legoland and you can knock it out in 4 hours and be gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Sell me on it.

Nostalgia.

It’s more than that. There is a couple I know who never went as kids. They go every year. Half the time without their kids.

I refuse to ask them about it as they are weird.

Well sure, there are weirdos. But for most adults, I think nostalgia is probably the thing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Disney for adults [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
I know an adult couple without kids, who love it there: "everything is so clean".
They even took their honeymoon there.

Wife's office mate and hubby are huge Disney fans, still go as just a couple after kids have grown up and moved out. I totally don't get it either (other than they're Trump fans, so clearly not very bright is my standby explanatory dig).

My folks took us once when my brothers and I were kids and I certainly remember it fondly, but when it came time for my wife's & my turn to take a vacation in SoCal when our kids were slightly older, we quickly figured out that Magic Mountain had more/better rides AND cost less (by a lot, it turns out ~ A, base Disney ticket cost more; B, they had little or no coupons or specials, etc, while MM had a whole bunch of different discount packages which we ended up using to include my folks on a senior family pass, plus parking included; and C, the age cut-off for full price was younger at Disney so we'd be charged for 3 adults & 1 kid vs 2 & 2). I'd 90% made up my mind on that already, but just to give the kids some say I asked them whether they were more interested in riding rides all day vs watching college students do shows dressed up in Mickey Mouse costumes, and they said they'd rather do more rides so that settled it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Sell me on it.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/01/23/disney-will-give-125000-workers-cash-bonuses-but-orlando-unions-want-pay-raise

Disney got a 2 billion dollar tax break from Trump but pays poverty wages.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Sell me on it.

I won't! Because, come Saturday night, about two hours into the first of four days, I will survey the park and decree "I'm done!" (with kids). I may even start a thread about it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be a thread about an alternative, adult themed amusement park.

I'm so very, very disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bit don’t you get? Is it the concept that adults may want to go on rides and not have to worry about kids with short attention spans and/or small bladders?

I could understand adults with fairly mundane lives wanting to shock their system a bit. As a parent I could certainly appreciate not having to stress about kids complaining, being hungry etc.

I also can see the nostalgia angle.

If it’s being around Disney themed things then I understand less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Dopey challenge(bucket list item for me) & the Wine&Dine run. Aside from that, I don't really know what the magical appeal is either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents love Disney. Not just the parks but any Mickey Mouse crap. Their house is covered in Disney pictures, figurines, etc. They are also part of the Disney Vacation Club (timeshare program). I think we did so much Disney crap so often growing up that I have not just come to dis-like Disney, but pretty much become anti-Disney. Spoke to my brothers last week, they feel 100% the same way.

Problem is my parents moved to FL and are now two hours from Disney. So every winter we go to visit them, where do they have to take our kids? Freaking Disney World.

So no, I can't sell you on it, it is the worlds biggest tourist trap. You want to go to the park and buy shitty fast food lunch for your family of four....$50 bucks.

The only positive side was taking my 4 year old to get a picture with Pocahontas (no not Elizabeth Warren), the look on her face when she got to meet her was priceless. She wanted to see Ariel but I guess we went to the wrong park.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Mar 9, 18 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Disney for adults [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disney might have appeal for adults too.

1. 10yrs ago Mrs RG went to some conference at Disney World (Orlando, FL). It's about 5hrs S of us. She came back very impressed. She said that there were whole sections of Disney World oriented on adults, and that the Disney staff had their act together like she'd never seen before. Not just in the context of customer service, but just being super organized and efficient. The story she related was that she was in some kind of bus moving from one part of the park to another. Bus got involved in some no-account fender bender. Within seconds security was on site conducting brief interviews with everyone that was near the incident. It was like every element of Disney was a well-practiced machine that could spin into action at a moment's notice.

Upon her arrival home, Mrs RG bought some Disney stock.

2. Coworker is a runner, marathons and ultras. Got married a couple months ago to another runner. They honeymooned at Disney World doing some kind of "race every day" sort of thing that Disney does. A little hard for me to imagine honeymooning at Disney, but they apparently had a great time.

3. Personally, I've only been to Disney World once. We took the 3 boys when they were early grade-school age. Was a lot of walking around and standing in lines under the hot sun. The big hit for the whole trip was that the hotel served pizza at the pool. We could have just stayed at the hotel pool and saved $1k worth of Disney passes.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our condo is about 45 minutes from Disney. Sometimes me and my wife will go there and do "monorail bar-hopping". The rules are we try to hit as many different bars using only the free Disney transportation (no buses though). You'd be surprised at how many resorts and venues you can hit just using the monorail and the various boats. Then we hit the California Grille lounge for rooftop fireworks from the Magic Kingdom. No Park admission required.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply

Prev Next