Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Balancing tri and family life
Quote | Reply
Looking for ideas how to balance triathlon and family life a little better. I've been a single dad my whole triathlon career so I just went full out tri when I didn't have my daughter. But now I live with my gf and her daughter, and I've been gaining tons of weight and skipping an absurd amount of training days just to keep the house together. Anyone have any advice how they keep plenty of training time and healthy eating? Or is a little fat and under trained the new normal?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm married with 2 kiddies (10yo and 7yo).

I tend to do most workouts either before they wake up in the morning, or after they've gone to bed. So before 7am, during the lunch break, or after 8-9pm. The weekend long ride is an exception, and they know I go out for a few hours at a time. The family is generally supportive and involved, and enjoy accompanying me to events where reasonable.

Reading this back I realise I am quite fortunate to have a tolerant family. Some are not so lucky.

The mrs carries on with her stuff when I'm doing a workout, and doesn't mind as long as I don't wake her up when I sneak downstairs, and I bring her a coffee in the mornings when she wakes.

As for healthy eating, we try to teach healthy habits by example. I'm no saint when it comes to diet, but most of the stuff that's good for me is also good for them. So win-win. Nobody forces portion sizes, so eat as much or as little as needed.

Bottom line - kid/family time is exactly that, and absolutely takes precedence. A missed workout here or there doesn't compare with missing time with the little'uns. And that's OK.
Last edited by: gahddenbooi: Mar 8, 18 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my life since my kids were born (6 & 18months).

The healthy eating is up to you, my weight is 80% a result of my eating, exercise just makes my muscles nicer.

What matters more? Sounds like your people matter more than your training right now, and that's okay. Acknowledging it is better than beating yourself up because you are missing training.

My littlest doesn't sleep through the night yet, so I'm tired 99.9% of the time. Sometimes I use it as an excuse and sometimes I suck it up and work out anyways.

My recipe for success (although I'm in a slump ATM) - swim early. Like before everyone is up. I go twice a week and I'm home just as everyone is getting up for the day. I run with the dog (two jobs in one!) at least a few times per week. Either after supper or after the kids are in bed. Biking is easy in the winter - hop on the trainer and get it done. Long outside rides are a thing of the past (for now) and I'm sort of okay with that. Sometimes I leave work early on a nice day and ride before I have to pick the kids up from daycare/school.

I'll be checking in to see if anyone has the magic solution - it's not easy but I really miss being fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice would be to plan as much as possible, both meals and workout time. I asked the same question just after my son was born and generally found the "Family comes first" advice to be un-helpful, but the sad fact is it's true. After 10 months of being a dad, it has become the new normal to not be super competitive and triathlon focused.
In general, you always have control over what you put in your mouth, so cut out the junk and you'll keep some fat off. Then focus on getting the critical workouts in and cutting the dead-time (set up, driving to workouts, etc.). If your GF is into healthy eating, try cooking and meal prepping so you don't have surprises in your diet.
Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is hard, but can be done . . . it is a matter of choices. Our kids are now 18, 16, and 14. I believe I have done 19 IMs SINCE they have been born (I work a lot, coach kids, spend time with family, etc.) I have written on this topic many times at www.IronmanLawyer.com If you are interested, start at The Door and read the articles in that series. You can also search training and family ("training family" without quote marks). After all these years I am still adjusting how I put all the pieces together.

Also see The Dilemma and links.

Good luck!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Mar 8, 18 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm married with a 10yo daughter. I started endurance sports about the time she was born. One thing that I try to do is to communicate what my workout goals for the week are with my wife. We discuss when the best time for the long workouts are, and if there is anything out of the ordinary she is needed from me. I have also started taking my daughter on my daily runs. She will scooter or bike next to (ok, ahead of) me.

Good luck.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [gahddenbooi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gahddenbooi wrote:

I tend to do most workouts either before they wake up in the morning, or after they've gone to bed. So before 7am, during the lunch break, or after 8-9pm. The weekend long ride is an exception, and they know I go out for a few hours at a time. The family is generally supportive and involved, and enjoy accompanying me to events where reasonable.

Reading this back I realise I am quite fortunate to have a tolerant family. Some are not so lucky.

The mrs carries on with her stuff when I'm doing a workout, and doesn't mind as long as I don't wake her up when I sneak downstairs, and I bring her a coffee in the mornings when she wakes.

As for healthy eating, we try to teach healthy habits by example. I'm no saint when it comes to diet, but most of the stuff that's good for me is also good for them. So win-win. Nobody forces portion sizes, so eat as much or as little as needed.

Bottom line - kid/family time is exactly that, and absolutely takes precedence. A missed workout here or there doesn't compare with missing time with the little'uns. And that's OK.

This is me, except only one kiddo. Only downside is the wife used to do this stuff too, and now is a little jealous that I get to ride and tri and she doesn't. Not that she can't, but just does not have the time to put into making it worthwhile. She needs more sleep than I do, so when I get up at 430, I'm good to go, where she would be worn out by dinner if she tried to pull that off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 27, me and my wife do not have a super young child in our home but we adopted her niece about 8 months ago. It was a major change in both our lives. I consider myself a decent racer and attempt to be competitive as possible. Typical training week is about 11.5 hours and last week I reached a bit over 16 for the first time this year. I work 60 miles away which equates to a 75-90min drive with traffic. A typical training day is something along the lines of 4:30am wake up. first workout start at 5:15 after a strong shot of espresso, done by 6:30-7, out the door for work and arrive by 830. Off at 5 and head home for second workout. start by 7 done by 830-9 and leaves 45minutes for family time! Its hard but for the time being my goal is to be as competitive as possible and luckily my wife is beyond supportive of the goals I have set. For eating the best advice I had ever heard was along the lines of....

If it comes in a wrapper or out of a drive thru window don't eat it, if you cannot identify what part of the animal it came from don't eat it, if it comes in a metal can don't drink it. If it came from the ground eat it, if you can identify the part of the animal it came from eat it, and always drink water. Obviously there is acceptations to that rule but as a whole I think its pretty sound,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the book Fast Track Triathlete by Matt Dixon. It's geared towards long course racing but I think it applies to all distances. Lots of great info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
married here with a 2yr old and a newborn... right now and for the next few months i decided to take a break from TRI, but i can tell you that all of my PR's came after my first daughter was born. i have a particular situation as my wife also trains so it was extra difficult bc we both want to train, so a few tips:

1. prepare a schedule! this is the best advice i got... we would prepare a by-weekly schedule and post it in the fridge.. so we both knew whose mornings are whose and who is running long! (my wife stopped doing TRIs but still runs marathons and bikes a lot).
2. get a running stroller... this actually allows you to put on some strength training together with your run and helps you be more flexible with the schedule: if my wife had a longer run or bike on a sunday i would do my long ride on saturday, and a 8-10 mile run with the kiddo in the stroller... (she would generally fall asleep after a couple of miles...)
3. break your long sessions: one trick my coach used was to break my long run in two shorter runs on mondays, so i would do a longer, 11-13 mile run in the AM and a shorter 6 mile run in the PM.. that way i freed up one day of the weekend where i would only do the short stroller run i mentioned before.
4. whenever possible i would squeeze a swim during my lunch break.. i am lucky i have a pool around the corner from the office...

hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [cheoherrera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Father of twin 3 year old boys here.

Scheduling is the most critical part. I let my wife know what days I’m training and around what time I’m starting and will be finished. She is supportive of my hobby so that goes a long way.

Along the same lines, keep track of your days and when you have free time. My best time to train is at nighttime. I get the boys ready for bed and my wife takes it from there while I hit the bike or the treadmill.

Be honest with yourself also. I’ll say I’m too busy to workout some days and it’s just because I was too lazy to get in the work. However, some days I am truly too busy.
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast Track Triathlete or Time Crunched Triathlete.

Also, you need to be with someone that understands that a person is a person and not a parent only. If that's true, they will gladly swap time with you. You have work and time with kids or work at home, and they do. One watches kid while other does something. Then you swap. They don't have to be an athlete, they could just be grabbing coffee or a drink with the girls out.

My wife and I have kids and share this view and it works out. We still go on date nights together, we both have 1:1 time with the kids, and we both have personal time.

Especially time once kids are in bed. If you have younger kids, no reason a kid under middle school age should have a bedtime after 8:30. It's BS the parents who let their kids tear ass around till 10PM. Then when they're older, they have homework or friends anyway. Perfect time to crank out 90min on the trainer. Most Americans watch TV or sit on their smart device at night anyway.

You also need a long-term compromise in your head. Sure, there are age grouper IM folks and successful bike racers with kids and family and jobs......but, we don't see what goes on behind the scenes with a spouse/parent blowing 20hrs a week on training. Just know ahead you can't do it all.

I'll likely upgrade my bike racing category pretty quick, but peak out at a 3. I don't have time for anything other than that.

You'd be amazed what you can do with a focused 5-8 hours a week. Focused though, not farting around on eternal slow ass group rides with 3 coffee stops. Getting your zones and TSS in and getting out.
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a single parent its not about choices. Two kids under 6, everything is a single pint of failure to the plan and the choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Keep it coming. Great to get a lot of heads together as I'm sure I'm not the only one stuck in this slump. One thing that has been working I should say is I have a YMCA family membership and we do that for swimming, kids splash around in the small pool, I do laps. Which now is the one thing I'm doing well. But it's the only thing I have been doing. Def willing to hear suggestions. I've never been good about planning workouts but I'll sit down tonight with the boss and see if her and I can't work out a schedule.

Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have three kids (5, 6 and 9) and we both do this. This is our second year of Tri, and 4th year of running...She's got a funky 7 days on/7 days off schedule, so she's a little more relaxed about getting things in. I'm a little more competitive.

We take advantage of our local YMCA's child care and use that to go to spin classes, masters swims and our local tri group meets there for spin/swims.

I swim/bike/run during my lunch break at work. I get about 30 minutes a day doing this.

We both get up early and when the weather is nice, get our runs in before 6:30a--and when it's really light out, get some biking in.

On the weekend, we switch off. Often, she will run x miles in one direction...I'll wait a little bit, load the kids in the minivan and go meet here somewhere...and I'll run back while she takes the kids. It's fun, it works and we both get "our" time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is fairly similar to that of others above. Two kids, 5 and 2. My wife runs (just did her first marathon), so we have to balance our training needs. Now that her major race is past, I get first dibs on training time. When she was working toward the marathon, and I was in offseason, she got first dibs.

I tend to do my workouts before work and before the kids get up. That means they often don't see me until after school, but they know what I'm doing and they're all about it. On weekends, it's a lot harder to figure things out, mostly because there are a bunch of other activities competing for my attention. My wife and I talk about the training needs every week, which is a big help. The kids come watch the races, which also helps, because they get to see and be a part of the rewards of training.

I hope you get it figured out in a manner that works for you.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [gahddenbooi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gahddenbooi wrote:

Exact same here.

I would use the word “supportive” about my wife loosely though. It’s more like she is ok with it. She is glad I have a hobby I am passionate about, and staying healthy, but like you eluded to, those long weekend run/rides can be a challenge. Especially during my kids sports season.

You just got to stay open and willing to switch things around and know when it makes more sense to skip a session and or cut it short because more meaningful life events, like a kids game, recital, etc take precedent.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should say my family is supportive they just don't understand. It's a lot of "well can we get pizza today and we'll eat healthy tomorrow" and "Just one more store then we'll go home" followed by "sorry I didn't think it would take that long" so there's some figuring out to be done. Especially in the Massachusetts cold.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Married, two kids, 18 months and 4 years.

I pretty much threw in the tri-towel when the first was born, there is no time to train for all three events at this stage. Decided to become a one sport guy. Running seemed the easiest as it was my background and its quickest. Did great (one major race a year) until number two was born, after the initial newborn stage I got planter fascitis and I couldn't run. Got into gravel biking and winter fat biking and I'm hooked.

At this point I set my goal as 4-5 hours of training a week, few days running, few days biking. I will do one or two races a year but I don't race them seriously. I always have this itch to train really hard, but at this point with the kids so young and you want to focus on family, just staying in shape is all you can do.

Also be ready to bike or run in the dark after bedtime or before wake-up. If you can, utilize the lunch hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tough and no easy answers. I've been trying to get to bed as early as possible and wake up early for workouts. Unfortunately, your social life suffers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We take advantage of our local YMCA's child care

Same here. Our gym has child care so I can take my 3 kids anytime I want to workout so no one can complain. Additionally, getting the wife involved/working out helps a ton too. As far as eating, me and my wife have very similar goals but if I want to eat something specific I buy it and make it...she is usually very happy when I do the cooking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I should say my family is supportive they just don't understand. It's a lot of "well can we get pizza today and we'll eat healthy tomorrow" and "Just one more store then we'll go home" followed by "sorry I didn't think it would take that long" so there's some figuring out to be done. Especially in the Massachusetts cold.

Planning will definitely help with the meals issues. My wife plans the week's menu before shopping on Saturday. Yes, bumps happen but rarely. This way you know what you are eating and how long it takes to prepare. Also plan who is cooking. Plus, you can plan for leftovers for lunch! More eating healthy that way.

How do you plan your workouts? Last year I had a coach and I really enjoyed not having to think about what I was going to be doing ... I just did it. This year, the $$ is not there, so I am having to plan more. Like many others, I do most of my workouts early in the am. Would do them late at night, but then I don't sleep well. Besides, by 8:30 we are both tired (we both have to be at work about 7am)

Before I joined the Master's swim, I made sure my wife was ok with the times it would meet. I work hard at being present with her and/or our son. I also try hard to do other things around the house -- sweep, dishes, pick-up, make the yogurt, etc. Anything I can get done to help I try to do.

I am not sure what you mean by the family does not understand. What do they not understand?
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to see so many people in here have a good balance!

I do feel parents have gone too far in the direction of letting the kids do too many activities, parents blowing every second on kids or work, and leaving no time for each other and the individual.

If you neglect either the spousal relationship OR each individual being a person, you run into big trouble. The first and obvious sign is always resentment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a treadmill if you don't have one. Run a 5k a most mornings before you go to work and on the weekend. Its amazing how easy it is to fit in a 20+/- minute run once you get into the mind-set.

45 minutes to an hour (one TV show) on the bike 4 or 5 days a week should also be pretty doable if you have an indoor trainer. If not, get one.

The swim is the challenge as it take a lot more time to get to the pool, change, swim, etc.

So consider duathlon or just accept your swim will suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Balancing tri and family life [greenterry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tricky finding a balance. It's all about efficiency and planning and learning good habits. But above all else: This is only a hobby -The partner and kids must come first otherwise they'll eventually get pissed off and you might end up as someone with nobody at home anymore....

It's easy enough though. It's just what you get used to. When you've got one kid you think you're super busy and stretched. When you have 2 kids you think you're super busy and stretched and having one was easy. When you've got 3 that becomes the new normal. When one goes on a sleepover so you only have 2 in the house it's like a holiday. Add in a job, 3 hours commuting etc... it all becomes possible.

I've got a wife and 3 young kids. I somehow manage to get about 10-12 hours a week in. Learn to love getting up at 5am. It's summer soon so this is the best time of day anyway. Knock out a workout before work, go for a run in lunchtime or a nap in the car. And then do another workout in the evening (if you can, but be careful with this one as the evenings you're needed to chat and hang out). Grabbing a 3 hour ride on a weekend shouldn't be a problem. The wife needs to be flexible with you too. Remind her that this stops you being fat & useless like most of the world.

Plan ahead to know what you want to do that day, but be flexible. 2 of my kids are massively into their own sports so on top of all my activities I have to drive them around and sit by pools, tracks etc. I make sure i've done my session beforehand and then i use this as forced rest time, sat there with tired legs, eating shedloads.. Sometimes i have to miss my workouts but i get another chance sooner or later. I almost pissed my wife off doing an IM last year when i'd push my luck by coming home from work after a 1.5 hour drive, so lots of time to dream about jumping on the trainer, and go straight into a workout instead of hanging out and chatting and having dinner - this had to be curtailed... Actually it's more about us running around endlessly for the kids that reduces me/wife time, my workouts fit in around the edges pretty well.

Another trick is it's always good to have a drink and a stash of energy bars nearby so that when you get hangry you aren't snappy and an arsehole, you can keep your sugar levels up.

Good luck. It's not so hard. There's lots of hours in the day. Maybe your girl and the kid will get into it and you can oneday run/bike/swim with them. It least you can be giving a good example, better than being a fatty, beer drinking, TV watcher.
Quote Reply

Prev Next