Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baby essentials
Quote | Reply
As some of you know, I'm hosting a baby shower for a friend on Thursday.

I was going to get swim diapers for a gift but I can't seem to find them. I'm brainstorming a backup plan - I like to give practical gifts. What essential things might first-time parents not have thought of? All I've come up with is Pedialite. I'm trying to come up with stuff that you'd realize you need and would have to make a trip to the store (hence saving parents a trip out with a fussy child :-)

This is an adoption, so the baby will be bottle fed.

Help :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Baby essentials [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular diapers...little ones go through a lot. You may be able to find the diaper covers for swimming more easily. Last baby shower I went to was diaper themed, so majority of guests brought diapers.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked my most recently pregnant friend this and she said nose frida (I don't even know what that is) and saline drops. And/or disposable change mats for poop blowouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kid will be well taken care of, and lots of the "stuff" is not necessary and/or really depends on the kid (ie whether they like to be swaddled, clothes - cause they all grow at different rates).

So why don't you get a gift for the parents? What about some gift cards to a meal prep place. One of the ones where the meals come pre-portioned and you just throw the stuff in the pan and cook it. Eating is really easy to overlook with a newborn, but it's practical and they will appreciate it. I'm sure you can find one where they can choose meals that they would like.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby essentials [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I asked my most recently pregnant friend this and she said nose frida (I don't even know what that is) and saline drops.

A nose friday is for snotrockets, google says.
What do you use saline drops for with a baby?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*shrug emoji*

I like edbikebabe’s meal prep idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I asked my most recently pregnant friend this and she said nose frida (I don't even know what that is) and saline drops.

A nose friday is for snotrockets, google says.
What do you use saline drops for with a baby?

This is why I say something for the parents. I have two kids and have never used either of those things. But I'm sure there is stuff I loved that other people don't care about.

Also - the newborn/baby phase doesn't really last that long. It feels like FOREVER when you are in the middle of it, but once you come out the other side you realize how short it really is. And then you have to purge all of the "stuff".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this little guy right here:

https://intl.target.com/...e_sapphire=true&

otherwise, yeah - something for the parents is nice. but bear in mind that it might be a while before they're able to actually take advantage of (let alone enjoy!) that gift card for a massage or a nice dinner out or whatever.

maybe have everyone bring a nice pre-made dinner or two, frozen and packed ready to go. that way once the baby comes the parents won't have to worry about making meals for a week or two. our friends did this for us (they actually signed up on a meal-prep rota) and it was great. we had a freezer full of options that were simple and no-prep.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I got as a gift that I never thought of myself was a nice travel diaper changing pad that can be opened and closed with one hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby essentials [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it appears Wal Mart doesn't have swim diapers until April. I guess people here don't swim year round (LOL). I went with a Little Critter book collection, pedialyte, and some baby tylenol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Little Critter books.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We received this light up turtle that projected stars on the ceiling in different colors. It was a hit for years.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby essentials [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I love the Little Critter books.

ME TOO!!!! They were my favourite growing up. Do you have the Christmas one?

Quote Reply