Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably as racist as teams wanting L Jackson to work out as receiver instead of QB.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/2018-nfl-combine-troy-apke-40-yard-dash-time-deion-sanders

I had a black chiro patient who was originally from the southern US and had quite a tough time growing up as he's in his late 70's now. He jokingly made a comment a few years ago "you know the world sure has changed when you have a black president and the HW boxing champ of the world is white" (referring to the Klitschko bros). Made me chuckle but it was so true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evidence of sloppy thinking or at least a misunderstanding of human variability and performance, racial not racist. But in today's world it would typically be labeled racist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/2018-nfl-combine-troy-apke-40-yard-dash-time-deion-sanders

I'm more annoyed by his using "run" as both the verb and the adjective. I've never understood why people do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends.

Is it racist for a white guy to express surprise that black hockey player is really good?

If yes, then yes. If no, then no.

I don't think it's a big deal.

Having said that, I think that if Deon was white and the athlete was black Deon would be looking for a new job today.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
It all depends.

Is it racist for a white guy to express surprise that black hockey player is really good?

If yes, then yes. If no, then no.

I don't think it's a big deal.

Having said that, I think that if Deon was white and the athlete was black Deon would be looking for a new job today.

Probably. We have race on the brain in this country but we're not suppose to comment on it.

Let's face it, if you watch the NFL combines every year and it's rare to see a white guy put up an impressive time, it's noteworthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, that's why I said it's not a big deal.

Still, if it was a hockey combine and we were talking about the impressive edgework of some black dude and being shocked by it, because, you know... I can't say it on TV...

We'd be fired. Period.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it racist? Yes. Is it offensive? We've decided that that particular type of racism is not.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Still, if it was a hockey combine and we were talking about the impressive edgework of some black dude and being shocked by it, because, you know... I can't say it on TV...

We'd be fired. Period.

At least with skating you're talking about something that is much more a skill than a physical capacity, whereas sprinting it's the opposite. So a "racial" difference is much more of a possibility with the latter, and that makes us uncomfortable because we're all suppose to be equal or at least there aren't suppose to be racial differences. Which of course is absurd at one level, no one would contest that the risk of sun burns and skin cancer varies among different races, but on the other hand in the past has been used to explain a lot of phenomena that were cultural not biological.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

He got baited with “Why are you surprised?” and he bit that bait and swallowed.

Do I care? No. Because there’s no history of white men suffering the cruelty of discrimination and as a white man I have no concerns about how my opportunities in life could be diminished by my race. That makes it easy to laugh off even if it is unfortunate.

But flipping the script is easy enough:

White announcer: I can’t believe what this guy scored on the Wonderlic. He’s smart smart!

Black announcer: Why are you surprised?

White announcer: For reasons I can’t say on TV.

Given the history of discrimination against black men based on stereotypes about their intelligence and leadership skills, this would be a fireable offense and rightfully so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can it be racist? It is basic biology ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racist no. Backhanded bitch slap or compliment? Yes (but more of the later).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Still, if it was a hockey combine and we were talking about the impressive edgework of some Asian dude and NOT being shocked by it, because, you know... I can't say it on TV...

We'd be fired. Period.

Try this one

If you need help: the thing you can't say is "figure skating; Asians are great at that shit"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At best I'd call it diet racism with no real consequences to the alleged victims (nothing that can't be cured with a little "Really? This is what you are complaining about?!")

I mean, its not like Dione turned him down for a loan.

What Dione did was point out something pretty accurate. We don't normally see white people run this fast, and it is surprising. The only thing left is the question of whether or not it is offensive to say it. The biggest issue he's dealing with is not really whether simply pointing it out is offensive, but the fact that people have to tip toe around the similar issues with regard to minorities. So there's a bit of unfairness involved.

Having said all of that, I remember going to the Maryland State Track and Field HS meet in 2002. If you've never been to a big track meet, its kind of like watching baseball. Its a whole lot of nothing with an occasional "home run" like moment. One of these moments was when you could hear a stir in the crowd early in the day, as everyone was drawing their attention to the 100m prelims. The boy's coach said to me, "You'll want to watch this." I looked down at the track and saw 9, athletic, moderately tall, lean and muscular black men lined up at the start and in the middle, in the top seed position, a 5'8" Jewish kid. The gun fired, and that kid immediately shot into the lead and ended up winning the prelim by probably a 5-8 yard margin.

Every single person in that stadium, regardless of age, color, or political affiliation was blown away by his performance, largely because he didn't look anything like we'd expect in a sprinter that fast.

Is that racist? No.
Would it be racist to say it on tv? Write it in a school publication? Hmmmm........they might want to tread lightly. But then again, I thought we elected Trump so we wouldn't have to deal with this PC crap anymore. =)

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I have learned from today is that neither of us know how to spell Deion Sanders' first name.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
What I have learned from today is that neither of us know how to spell Deion Sanders' first name.

It's surprising that a white guy can't spell properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Evidence of sloppy thinking or at least a misunderstanding of human variability and performance, racial not racist. But in today's world it would typically be labeled racist.

Yes. What is the phenomenon for going from many nuanced words to just one catch all senseless word? Normally advancing civilization calls for more gradations and therefore more words, but for some reason we aren't doing this with a lot of important words in our modern lexicon.

Why? My theory is that it's politically useful to take a single word with a highly charged connotation and expand its definition to include as many potential political enemies as possible. Examples: racist, sexist, and communist (had to include one on the right).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh for heaven's sake. No it's not racist. It's Dieon talking like he'd talk to all of us if we were hanging out in his house watching the combine. And you know what? We'd all laugh. Was it a smart comment? Probably not.

Lighten up. I'd hate to see a Chris Rock show with some of you. Jeez - talk about snowflakes.

Oh, and by definition: for a group to be racist they need to be the group/person in societal power. However, that doesn't mean that Dieon can't be prejudice but I wouldn't put him in that category based on that comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, the fact that we don't find it offensive, or that he didn't mean it to be offensive to whites, doesn't mean it's not racist. It's the definition of a racist statement, making blanket presumptions about a person because of their skin color.

But from your latter comment, it's clear you're working with a very narrow and essentially useless definition.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank wrote:

Lighten up..

I am not sure who you are telling to lighten up. I haven't seen anyone truly upset by this.

But the question was asked and the answer given. And like I said, reverse the races and Deion is out of a job.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it racist for a black guy to express surprise that a white guy is fast? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
BLeP wrote:

It's surprising that a white guy can't spell properly.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Oh, and by (SJW) definition: for a group to be racist they need to be the group/person in societal power.

AKA: Only white people can be racist. Gotcha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank wrote:
Oh for heaven's sake. No it's not racist. It's Dieon talking like he'd talk to all of us if we were hanging out in his house watching the combine. And you know what? We'd all laugh. Was it a smart comment? Probably not.

Lighten up. I'd hate to see a Chris Rock show with some of you. Jeez - talk about snowflakes.

Oh, and by definition: for a group to be racist they need to be the group/person in societal power. However, that doesn't mean that Dieon can't be prejudice but I wouldn't put him in that category based on that comment.

I had to reread the thread to find a “snowflake” and can’t find one. In fact, it seems like most people generally agree with you. I certainly don’t find a post indicating any level of shock or outrage or anger or any other strong emotion.

For the record, I love Chris Rock and have seen him live several times. But that doesn’t mean that Sanders’ comment isn’t worth a civil discussion.

Anyway, can you direct us to the “snowflake” post, please?
Quote Reply

Prev Next