Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fat soon become the new norm?
Quote | Reply
A scary prediction - 70% of millenniels are likely to become overweight or obese. That's a 40% increase over baby boomers. And this study is from the U.K. so I would imagine it could even be a bit higher in N.A. (even though the UK is leading Europe in obesity).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/...ration-ever-12089055
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 5, 18 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s already the new norm — just go to Disney world, a cruise, or Wisconsin
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:

I remember Disney had to resize the seats at a number of their rides a few years back. Some friends were recently on a cruise and posted photos from it on their facebook page. Barely anybody in the photos wasn't way overweight. I've never been to Wisconsin. Will have to visit JSA some year. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:

Ha! Just got back from one day at Disney world (Animal Kingdom), I was thinking the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate the weight challenged?

It’s not their fault. Companies make them eat food that is bad for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Why do you hate the weight challenged?

It’s not their fault. Companies make them eat food that is bad for them.

And it's always because of glandular/hormonal/genetic problems. Lifestyle choices have nothing to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O.k., once this is reality, I will reverse my previous statements and support removal of Podium Girls at the Tour. Oh wait, wrong forum...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don’t see this in Boulder or Palo Alto. Is it FakeNews?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

I don't know about Wisconsin or Palo Alto, but when I lived in Texas City, Texas (off I-45 between Houston and Galveston) I was amazed how the area basically scenes from the Pixar movie WALL-E.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:

Shiiiiiit. We have a LONG way to go to top that list. And, FIBs shouldn't be throwing stones. You are right there with us porky ...

http://www.eatthis.com/...s-in-america-ranked/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This blows me away -- even Colorado is at 21% obesity as the least-obese state in the country. That's a gross percentage for any state, ridiculous that it's the least obese. I knew it was getting worse, but had no perspective on exactly how bad it is.

But speaking of unhealthy -- I need your advice. I'll be in Milwaukee for my birthday weekend in a few weeks, going to an event with a group of friends & spending a couple of days there. What are some good restaurants for indulging? Nothing expensive, as the expensive meal will happen with my wife & I'll have friends who are on a tighter budget, but something that's good cuisine, not Panera, unique, and memorable. And is there a good bakery downtown? I'm going to have to have some cake at the ready.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why should the millennials, or any other generation for that matter, care about their girth? If and when they get sick, the health insurance company will foot the bill. No insurance? Well, then Medicaid. No Medicaid? Open a GoFundMe page.

The only way to solve the problem is to make it costly to be overweight or, to say it another way, to give people a financial incentive to stay thin. When an obese person pays the same health insurance premium as a skinny person, there’s zero incentive to lose weight.

You don’t get peoples’ attention until you hit them in the pocketbook.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

I wouldn’t exactly say Boulder is an average American town. It’s probabaly one of the most active cities in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
This blows me away -- even Colorado is at 21% obesity as the least-obese state in the country. That's a gross percentage for any state, ridiculous that it's the least obese. I knew it was getting worse, but had no perspective on exactly how bad it is.

But speaking of unhealthy -- I need your advice. I'll be in Milwaukee for my birthday weekend in a few weeks, going to an event with a group of friends & spending a couple of days there. What are some good restaurants for indulging? Nothing expensive, as the expensive meal will happen with my wife & I'll have friends who are on a tighter budget, but something that's good cuisine, not Panera, unique, and memorable. And is there a good bakery downtown? I'm going to have to have some cake at the ready.

Check out Indulgence Chocolatiers for a wine/beer/whiskey and chocolate pairing, if you want something fun to do: https://www.indulgencechocolatiers.com/

Bodegon at Hotel Madrid is excellent for dinner or for a unique brunch. Mixed prices: http://www.hotelmadridmke.com/restaurant

It may not be open due to weather, but, The Yard at the Iron Horse Hotel is awesome. Outdoor seating with fires. Great drinks and a great food menu. Smyth is the inside restaurant. Very nice, but a little pricier: http://www.theironhorsehotel.com/food-beverage/

Swig is down in the 3rd Ward. Small plates. Great martinis: http://swigmilwaukee.com/

Café Benelux is great for the Euro-vibe with some great beer selections: https://cafebenelux.com/

If just want a good ole fashioned bar/brewery, go to Milwaukee Ale House: http://ale-house.com/

Finally, if you want the best Napoletana Pizza, try San Giorgio Pizza. Simply amazing: https://sangiorgiopizza.com/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Mar 5, 18 10:22
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some great options on this list. Perfect. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is already the norm.

We used to sit outside our office building at work. 2/3 of people coming out for lunch were visibly overweight. And we were pretty lenient. They had to have a visible gut or be clearly overweight. This method probably skewed the number low as they had to have the motivation to actually leave the building for lunch and not just eat in the cafeteria.

And we have gone beyond fat acceptance. I'm all for minding your own business and not worrying about whether someone else is fat. But it is not healthy and I don't find it attractive. That doesn't make me a bad person.

I put a lot of the blame on our modern office based jobs. You come in, sit, candy everywhere, bagels and donuts brought in often, cookies everywhere, vending machines on every floor. No real chance to move around. Very few people have a physically hard job any more. You have to go out of your way to exercise and your job used to take care of that for you.

And peoples' ideas on what is better or worse for you is just jacked up. As my 250+ lbs co-worker was eating cookie after cookie this morning she told me that she stopped drinking Diet Pepsi because it was so bad for you.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, demonize it or victimize it? I'm guessing the latter..
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
You don’t get peoples’ attention until you hit them in the pocketbook.

Lol if you seriously think the UNLIMITED access to health care in the U.S. is contributing to obesity. You need to look at the problem from the viewpoint of someone living paycheck to paycheck. Simply buying healthy food costs more (tough for someone struggling to pay rent), and takes more time to cook at home (tough for someone working multiple jobs).

As long as bad food is easier / cheaper, and a significant number of folks are just scraping by near the poverty line, the trend will continue. Pushing healthy changes through punitive measures won't work for people who are out of other options.[/quote]Ain't about what you eat. That's one of the "great lies" of our culture. 3500 excess Cal of kale will put on the same pound of blubber as 3000 excess Cal of twinkees. Simple thermodynamics.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That and although there is a decrease of obesity with rising income levels, not a huge difference. Lower income does account for some of the obesity trends, but overall everyone is more obesity at all income levels.

I agree with someone who said it earlier the workplaces is a major contributor. If I’m working in the yard on the weekend I can go hours without thinking about eating. When you’re sitting in a office most people’s brains aren’t that occupied so wanting to eat is thought about more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While that is true, it's more complicated then that.

Go to McDonald's and eat 1500 Cal of food. You can do that in 10 minutes and still feel hungry 15 minutes later. Go eat 1500 Cal of salad and you'll be eating 5 large bowls of food.

Trying to restrict your caloric intake on a diet of heavily processed foods means you'll barely be eating anything volume wise and always feel hungry. It would be really, really hard to do.

I think there needs to be a large educational push around what healthy eating really is. North America's food culture is pretty messed up.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are fat because it’s ok to be fat now. We have fat swim suit models now for Christ’s sake. It’s disgusting. You can’t “judge” anyone anymore. This is the result. “I love me just the way I am.” Well I think you’re a fat pig.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat soon become the new norm? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Go to McDonald's and eat 1500 Cal of food. You can do that in 10 minutes and still feel hungry 15 minutes later. Go eat 1500 Cal of salad and you'll be eating 5 large bowls of food.

Trying to restrict your caloric intake on a diet of heavily processed foods means you'll barely be eating anything volume wise and always feel hungry. It would be really, really hard to do.

I think there needs to be a large educational push around what healthy eating really is. North America's food culture is pretty messed up.
We've created this whole cultural lie of equating fat with "what you eat". Get into any conversation in any forum anywhere, talk about losing fat, and people will start talking about "what you eat" much more than "eat fewer calories". In fact, in most places if you try to orient them on the basic thermodynamics of this, they will push back, insisting that it's at least as much an issue of "what you eat", as if the human body didn't have to obey the laws of thermodynamics.

The problem this creates is that it allows folks to avoid the hard truth of "eat less". As long as you give humans a way to avoid a requirement for self-discipline, they will.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

We've created this whole cultural lie of equating fat with "what you eat". Get into any conversation in any forum anywhere, talk about losing fat, and people will start talking about "what you eat" much more than "eat fewer calories". In fact, in most places if you try to orient them on the basic thermodynamics of this, they will push back, insisting that it's at least as much an issue of "what you eat", as if the human body didn't have to obey the laws of thermodynamics.

The problem this creates is that it allows folks to avoid the hard truth of "eat less". As long as you give humans a way to avoid a requirement for self-discipline, they will.

I totally disagree with this and believe new research will show different people metabolize different foods differently. I think much of what we know about nutrition will change relative to learning more about genetics. They already know there are genetic reasons people can’t metabolize different things. I think the same potato impacts different people differently but we just don’t fully understand it yet. Humans are not a simple furnace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

I think it matters quite a bit what you eat and when you eat. The body doesn't follow simple laws of thermodynamics because it's a living thing that can control how it burns and stores energy based on it's perception of what kind of energy it is receiving and spending. Sure, if the furnace is hot enough it will burn anything and if the caloric intake is absolutely minimal enough even a starving and shut down body will continue to lose weight. I'm not sure either of those is ideal or practical, however. A balance of calories throughout the day that is high in protein and healthy fats and consumes easily burnable carbs, especially shortly before physical activity, is probably the long term key to success.
Quote Reply

Prev Next