Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much! I will look for TrainerRoad companion and how to configure. If you don't mind I will PM you.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Last edited by: John Salt: Feb 15, 18 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeM126 wrote:
Hey all.. Haven't heard back from Support at TR yet so figured I'd try here.

Question on Un-Assigning a Ride. When I go to Career and find the ride that I want to UnAssign (So I can assign it to the correct plan) I don't see an option to "RESET Ride", as TR's FAQ says to do. I do see RE-SYNC. Is that the same?

Just hover over the ride and click "reset". That will do it!

You have to do it from the plan though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce--did exactly that with my quarq this week on 2 separate rides. Kicked in erg read 15 watts higher both times. Consistently.

Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
I’m not 100% convinced with kickr erg mode. When i ran my P1 to see what was going on, the power variation was massive compared to the numbers that the kickr smooths out.

Hey Triguy,

The Kickr certainly outputs smoother power than a direct power meter for a few reasons.

1. The Kickr measures the power multiple steps away from your legs. Rather than measuring at the crank, the power travels through the chain, into the cassette, which turns the freewheel, where the power is measured. All of these steps serve to smooth out your power to a certain degree.
2. The other thing that effects how smooth the power is is the freewheel in the Kickr. The Kickr freewheel is unique in that it has a mechanism that makes the freewheel spin faster than your cassette is spinning, sort of like a gearbox. This creates more inertia than other trainers, and thus, results in smoother power.

If you have both the P1s and the Kickr, I would be really interested to hear if you measure different wattages in ERG mode vs Standard mode. To test, you can pair the P1s to a head unit and the Kickr to TrainerRoad and see if, over the course of a minute or two constant interval, the average power differences between the two differ based on the resistance mode.

I would love to hear what you find!

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

Sorry to bother you again but you are the only resource available right now. I have contacted your support team three times. Today will be day 3 and still nothing. Is there a way to escalate so I can get answers to my questions?
All I get is:

Hi John!
Thank you for choosing to train with TrainerRoad. This is an automated response to let you know we received your support request. A member from our crack support team will get back to you soon.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
Hey Bryce, Thanks for getting back to me!

I am trying to determine if you can have two accounts operating off the same PC or will we need a PC per account in order to ride together?

Hey John,

Ah the automated response must have been added with the crazy increased volume we've been seeing, I'm sorry about that.

The best way for you and your partner to train at the same time on the same device is through the use of the Standard App and the Beta App. They can both run simultaneously, where one of you is signed into the standard app and the other is signed into the Beta version. The Beta version is almost exaclty the same as the production version so you will likely not be able to tell the difference :)

You can download the Windows Beta here:
https://www.trainerroad.com/download/beta#

What devices are you planning to pair? If your devices are ANT+ compatible, then the simplest way to set it up is with two ANT+ sticks (one for each application). This allows one app to use one ANT+ stick to pair with one set of sensors while the other app does the same.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to DM me, I want to make sure you can get setup as quickly as possible :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

We will be on CompuTrainers so it will be a USB plug in. I can download the beta and see if how things work. Does that make sense?

Just so you know. I am at day 3 and three emails to you support and nothing. I am also trying to reach someone in your organization to discuss reciprocal business opportunities. MSC has been exploring ways to keep our customer/athlete engaged through the winters months and believe there are opportunities do do that with the right partner. I sent you a PM the other day with my contact details and hope to hear from you or someone at TR.

Last edited by: John Salt: Feb 16, 18 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, did it read 15 watts higher than the Quarq? Or did the ERG mode provide 15 watts more resistance than Slope despite the same Kickr power reading? If it is the latter, this is definitely something that you will want to open a ticket with Wahoo about because that is a pretty extreme discrepency. It is possible they have a firmware update, or a Beta firmware that you can try to sort this issue out.

Best,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the quarq was paired to a head unit reading 15 watts below the kickr in erg. While doing the TR workout, I did a z3 internal at around 260 watts in the kickr in erg. The quarq read 245ish the whole time.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
So the quarq was paired to a head unit reading 15 watts below the kickr in erg. While doing the TR workout, I did a z3 internal at around 260 watts in the kickr in erg. The quarq read 245ish the whole time.

So this is not actually surprising, we have found the Kickr to consistenently measure higher power readings than a true power meter. My understanding was that we were testing to see if the Kickr was actually harder to pedal in ERG mode vs Slope mode.

To test this, we are actually halfway there becasue you have found the power offset for ERG (15 watts). Next, you would test to find the offset between your power meter and the Kickr in Slope Mode. If the power offset is only 15 watts, then we can say for sure that Slope mode is not easier than ERG mode, and that it perhaps just feels easier. If the offset is signicantly different than 15 watts, then this is concerning and something that would need to be brought up with Wahoo.

Let me know what you find!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I had posted my concerns on response time from TR it is only fair that I post about the facts. Bryce thank you for getting back to me on my personal email. Just want people to know that support apparently did email me back later the same day however, I never received it, even in my junk email. Technology is great but not perfect.

Thanks again Bryce, we will try the solution suggested by your team.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am asking about the differences between a TACX Vortex wheel on trainer and a ELITE Direto which is a wheel off unit. I just upgraded to the Direto from the Vortex and am currently 50% completed Sweet Spot Base Low volume. It seems that the "lower quality" Vortex holds the prescribed power levels better than the Direto. The power "trace" from the Vortex is right on the requests from the Trainerroad program while Direto are showing spikes and much greater variability as I complete the interval.

Is the Direto just showing how imperfect I am at pedaling at a constant wattage and shows this?

I have gone through the Elite calibration process and the calibration process in Trainerroad as well.

The Direto seems to be always hunting to find the interval wattage requirement being 10 watts up or down. At the end of the interval the power numbers are close to what was required for the interval
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [islandr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
islandr wrote:
I am asking about the differences between a TACX Vortex wheel on trainer and a ELITE Direto which is a wheel off unit. I just upgraded to the Direto from the Vortex and am currently 50% completed Sweet Spot Base Low volume. It seems that the "lower quality" Vortex holds the prescribed power levels better than the Direto. The power "trace" from the Vortex is right on the requests from the Trainerroad program while Direto are showing spikes and much greater variability as I complete the interval.

Is the Direto just showing how imperfect I am at pedaling at a constant wattage and shows this?

I have gone through the Elite calibration process and the calibration process in Trainerroad as well.

The Direto seems to be always hunting to find the interval wattage requirement being 10 watts up or down. At the end of the interval the power numbers are close to what was required for the interval

Hey there!

Different smart trainers have different freewheel wieghts and also levels of internal electronic smoothing applied. They are both locking you into the power just as well, however the Diereto shows the power surges from each pedal stroke more accurately where the Vortex simply smooths over them. They are both effective for training, and the appearance you prefer is ultimately just a personal preference.

I hope that clears things up!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi!

been using TR and loving it. great product and service.

simple question that may have already been answered... how is the mileage and calories burnt (that’s dumped to my garmin account) calculated? are those pretty close to being accurate?

i’m just using data from TR for my saved workouts in garmin and not running my watch or bike computer to capture the data.

thanks in advance.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
hi!

simple question that may have already been answered... how is the mileage and calories burnt (that’s dumped to my garmin account) calculated? are those pretty close to being accurate?

i’m just using data from TR for my saved workouts in garmin and not running my watch or bike computer to capture the data.

thanks in advance.

In TrainerRoad, the mileage is simply how many times your wheel rotates times the circumference of the wheel. It looks like you use a simple speed cadence sensor to gather this data, so the accuracy will depend on how closely your trainer replicates outdoor resistance with its resistance unit. If it is a fluid trainer, then the mileage will more closely replicate reality compared to a Mag trainer.

Your calories burned are based on your power output, and since you are using a Power Meter for your workouts, this value is very accurate. To learn more about how we calculate calories burned from your power output, check out this article:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005942826-Calories-and-Power

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
hi!

thanks in advance.

In TrainerRoad, the mileage is simply how many times your wheel rotates times the circumference of the wheel. It looks like you use a simple speed cadence sensor to gather this data, so the accuracy will depend on how closely your trainer replicates outdoor resistance with its resistance unit. If it is a fluid trainer, then the mileage will more closely replicate reality compared to a Mag trainer.

Your calories burned are based on your power output, and since you are using a Power Meter for your workouts, this value is very accurate. To learn more about how we calculate calories burned from your power output, check out this article:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005942826-Calories-and-Power

i’m using a tacx neo, so you’re saying mileage may be a touch off, but still ballpark. good enough for me!

thanks a lot for the clarification. much appreciated!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
hi!

thanks in advance.

if you're using a power meter then calories expended should be fairly accurate. Mileage on a trainer....well you didn't leave your living room so I think you can guess the accuracy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Tacx Neo and all other smart trainers, the speed will be very unreliable due to the nature of ERG mode.

If you are in your hardest year at 200 watts, you may be going 30 mph for the whole ride. On the other hand, in your easiest gear at 200 watts you may be doing 10 mph for the whole ride.

You are working just as hard in each scenario, but in your biggest gear, you go 3x as many miles. For that reason, we recommend focusing on TSS since that is an "honest" metric that you can't trick or skew in any way :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce/TR support team - I have dual sided power meter that can transmit in dual channel via bluetooth, can trainer road accept the individual inputs and combine them or does it need to be a single channel (ie one of my sensors collects data for both and combines them).

If I can do both, do I just make sure both of the power meter sides are paired via bluetooth to the TR software?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [nyjetfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nyjetfan wrote:
Hey Bryce/TR support team - I have dual sided power meter that can transmit in dual channel via bluetooth, can trainer road accept the individual inputs and combine them or does it need to be a single channel (ie one of my sensors collects data for both and combines them).

If I can do both, do I just make sure both of the power meter sides are paired via bluetooth to the TR software?

Thanks!

Hey there!

Unfortunately we do not support two sided power readings via Bluetooth quite yet. For now, we simply take the left power meter and double the readings. The only way to get true power from both pedals is by pairing via ANT+ rather than Bluetooth.

We do plan to expand full support to Bluetooth Pedals in the future, however, I'm sorry I don't have better news for you today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halfway through the half-iron build mid volume.

I just finished Red Lake +5—what in the hell is wrong with you folks?

Anywho, in week 6 of half iron build mid-volume, the weekly tips say I should be doing Jobs +4, but Tinker +4 is the training session that's cued up... which one should I go with in that week's VO2 lashing?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stick with Tinker+4 :) Sometimes Chad updates the workouts and misses updating the Weekly Tips, but the ride in the plan is always the one he intended for you to do. We will fix this error as soon as we can.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I'm at the end of Mid Vol Oly Tri build and just got my first tri bike this week and finished up a bike fit. As expected (I guess), my power is nowhere near where it is in the road position - probably around 15% off. After having never failed to finish a workout on TR i've failed three in a row on the tri bike - admittedly these were relatively tough workouts (Phoenix +2). Given i'm about to reassess for the specialty phase (via the ramp test)- should I do the specialty block on my tri bike or road bike?

I think Chad said something on an old podcast about sticking with roadbike to maximise FTP gains and gradually adjust your aero position to minimise the loss when changing positions. However, on a recent podcast they spoke about leaving the TT bikes on the trainer for all workouts (while they are training for the TT) and numerous other places seem to suggest doing all my workouts on the trainer on a tri bike. Thoughts? I can ride as much as I like really - indoor or outdoor...

Anyone else who has experience, i'd love to hear what you tried!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing all my TR rides on the TT-bike. I try to go into the aero position for every workload in a interval session.I think I had a small discrepancy between the road- an TT-bike in the beginning, but the difference nowadays is not noticeable for me anymore.

Anyway, I train for my races. My races will be on the TT-bike in aero position. So... easy decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looking at joining TRAINERROAD on monthly subscription

anyone got any promo codes etc ;-)

top tips appreciated too
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stubs wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I'm at the end of Mid Vol Oly Tri build and just got my first tri bike this week and finished up a bike fit. As expected (I guess), my power is nowhere near where it is in the road position - probably around 15% off. After having never failed to finish a workout on TR i've failed three in a row on the tri bike - admittedly these were relatively tough workouts (Phoenix +2). Given i'm about to reassess for the specialty phase (via the ramp test)- should I do the specialty block on my tri bike or road bike?

I think Chad said something on an old podcast about sticking with roadbike to maximise FTP gains and gradually adjust your aero position to minimise the loss when changing positions. However, on a recent podcast they spoke about leaving the TT bikes on the trainer for all workouts (while they are training for the TT) and numerous other places seem to suggest doing all my workouts on the trainer on a tri bike. Thoughts? I can ride as much as I like really - indoor or outdoor...

Anyone else who has experience, i'd love to hear what you tried!

If all of your races will be on the Tri bike in the aero position, then you should train on that bike and in that position as much as you can. We recommend doing an FTP test on your Tri bike in the position that allows you to produce the most power, and then slowly integrate the aero position to bring about adaptations while tucked. Through this process the divide between your ability to express FTP in aero and normal positions will decrease.

Good luck with your training!

Quote Reply

Prev Next