Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore?
Quote | Reply
I picked up a saddle sore from a big bike block a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to come on after the end of the block and I did a hard VO2 ride on tired legs. It got less annoying during the recovery week and swelling went down. But I picked things up last week and it's aggravated again. It's a hard lump the size of a big pea. Not sure what to do about it. I'm not going to stop riding. I started applying antibiotic cream to see if this helps. Any suggestions? I haven't a saddle sore in a long time and this one seems a little different since it's sticking around longer. It doesn't feel like puss in there but more like a rock.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always lanced saddle sores that didn't go away after a few days.

I've had success with it, but kind of a weird thing to advise someone to go stab their nether regions with a needle.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would leave it be unless it becomes unbearable.
Lancing it could result in an infection and it is not not funny, not funny at all.

Taking a few days off the saddle could help, drawing a nice bath as well (with Epsom salts if you can).

Applying heat (pad, warm compress) is also helpful.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurancealex1 wrote:
I picked up a saddle sore from a big bike block a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to come on after the end of the block and I did a hard VO2 ride on tired legs. It got less annoying during the recovery week and swelling went down. But I picked things up last week and it's aggravated again. It's a hard lump the size of a big pea. Not sure what to do about it. I'm not going to stop riding. I started applying antibiotic cream to see if this helps. Any suggestions? I haven't a saddle sore in a long time and this one seems a little different since it's sticking around longer. It doesn't feel like puss in there but more like a rock.

I had one a week ago. Abandoned the trainer and went to urgent care center. The doctor put me on bacderm, which is an oral antibiotic. A week later it's completely gone. I think you'll have to lay off the trainer a lot longer to get rid of a hard abcess. If not it will just get worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that Preparation H helps my saddle sores to heal faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had success with Oxy pads. They made healing speed up, and I continue to use them after every ride as preventative maintenance.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to my dermatologist and got a script for clindamycin phosphate topical cream, which is commonly used to treat acne. It has a lot of good properties to it, like localized anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial. It clears them up in a couple days and no lancing required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A saddle sore is basically a pimple. You could use benzoyle peroxide or similar. I wouldn't lance it or you could get an infection. The more you ride on it the harder and more sore it will get or it may pop. I recommend taking a few days off and do some other exercise and let it heal. Make sure to clean & dry your shorts well. Put chamois cream and shower or clean area immediately after your ride. Don't hang out in wet shorts if you can. I've been using these products. Also used Assos and Chamois Buttr Euro.
Doc's Skin Care Saddle Sore Ointment
https://www.amazon.com/Docs-Skin-Care-Saddle-Ointment/dp/B004DNLKTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484753667&sr=8-3&keywords=saddle+sore

Doc's All Natural Chamois Cream
https://www.amazon.com/...EBCVQYXS9J02RYH96ARC

Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris10 wrote:
I went to my dermatologist and got a script for Melacare cream, which is commonly used to treat acne. It has a lot of good properties to it, like localized anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial. It clears them up in a couple days and no lancing required.

That sounds amazing. Does it work on dry skin?

- Renuka
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When this happened to me I kept riding through it for a while and it kept getting worse and bigger. Finally was too uncomfortable to sit in my chair at the office and went to urgent care and, though humiliating, let them lance it. Big relief. It's a minor infection in its own way and you got to treat it with respect. Can't remember if they gave me oral antibiotics or not. Not sure about neosporin type cream... not sure that penetrates the skin layer like the Oxy anti zit cream (benzoyl peroxide), which i have had luck with on little ones.
Subsequently to the big one though i took Slowtwitch forum member advice to liberally apply chamois cream with herbal antimicrobial compounds as a preventative every time i ride (e.g. the excellent Assos Chamois Creme), always start with clean and dry shorts, and take them off and shower as soon as you can after a ride or brick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bag Balm!
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find switching bikes for a while if you can. Or drop seat height a little. I can get saddles sores when I ride a lot on my tri bike but not on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had excellent luck with a schmear of neosporin covered for a day or two with a waterproof bandage that seals it in on all sides. The round 'spot' style bandaids are my goto. Clean the surrounding area really well with rubbing alcohol first so the bandaid sticks well, don't let the ointment come into contact with the sticky part of the bandage or else it ruins the stickiness, and reapply right away if it starts to come off. I always try popping it first right after a shower which works about half the time but either way it almost always clears up within 48 hours when it's completely sealed off with a bit of ointment. I think the mechanism at play is similar to the one that clears up warts by keeping them covered with duct tape. Getting the aim right can be tough so it helps to have a sympathetic ass-istant (har har).

*edit*
Looks like there is a handy all-in-one version but it may not completely starve the spot of air which I always guessed was a part of how this treatment works, that is a totally nonscientific guess on my part though.
Last edited by: brassnipples: Feb 14, 18 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are getting plenty of suggestions, but here's another. I had the same issue a month ago and tried an over the counter product called Boil Ease. It helped a lot. I also gave Neosporin cream a try, but I think the latter was more effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it sticks around for awhile I’d go to a doctor. I had one that ended up getting pretty big but stopped growing. Ended up being a lipoma they had to remove. It wasn’t awful but not the most fun either. So if it sticks around I’d definitely get it checked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amputate!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After tying most remedies mentioned in this thread with varying results, I stumbled upon witch hazel which is a herbal astringent. You can find this in small containers that have little pads that are soaked in witch hazel. If I use these immediately upon the onset of a saddle sore I usually can manage to continue to ride without making the condition worsen. Two or three days of using the pads twice a day (post ride and before going to bed) does the trick.

Gary Clendenin (aka, "The Kid" or "G-man")
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on my second bout with saddle sores this season, and wondering...what is physically contacting the chaffed area, causing the chafing (not general like the wrong saddle, or saddle position, or not using chamois cream which I am), I mean what is chafing the sore skin area specifically and why? Is it junk getting pressured in just the wrong spot against the seam of the chamois, or is the junk not staying wrapped in material of the chamois and having contact with the inner thigh somehow while in the aero position, so it's skin rubbing skin?

I want to get to the bottom of what is actually causing the heat buildup, and try to solve that, rather than chasing results and treating them (which obviously has to be done). I'm on my third saddle this season, and will make probably my 5th or 6th saddle adjustment on the current one to try to resolve this...but I want to totally understand the cause, and it's not clear to me yet. Is this a seam on skin issue, or a skin on skin issue? Reason I'm wondering is because I have ridden road bikes forever with zero saddle sores, but the aero position is not nearly as extreme as on a tri or TT bike. So when getting into the aero position, what is happening to the junk which puts your skin against either a seam or other skin, so we identify the definitive contact/heat contributors to generating the sores themselves.

Thanks for insight if anyone knows 100% on this question.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [Garc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Witch hazel here too
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chaffing and saddle sores are not the same thing. Chaffing is rubbing, not pressure.

Saddle sores are a different matter: One of my running partners is a dermatologist. From the horses mouth: 99% of the time the cause is
Folliculitis . Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicles. Bacteria, fungus, or yeast infection is the likely culprit. Wash your nether region carefully and always wash your bike shorts - and quickly. Some people are more susceptible than others, but honestly, if you get them a lot you might have a hygiene problem.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Chaffing and saddle sores are not the same thing. Chaffing is rubbing, not pressure.

Saddle sores are a different matter: One of my running partners is a dermatologist. From the horses mouth: 99% of the time the cause is
Folliculitis . Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicles. Bacteria, fungus, or yeast infection is the likely culprit. Wash your nether region carefully and always wash your bike shorts - and quickly. Some people are more susceptible than others, but honestly, if you get them a lot you might have a hygiene problem.

Based on my non-medical experience, I have a different perspective. I've had neither chafing nor saddle sores in many years of road bike riding (save for a little soft tissue soreness when doing 70+ mile rides from pressure---but that's subcutaneous, not a surface saddle sore like we're discussing here). The aero position and the saddles being used on Tri and TT bikes cause a different physical pressure AND rubbing combination which can and does produce chaffing and sores, regardless of hygiene. This doesn't mean those who need to improve hygiene aren't a factor, what I'm saying is that myself and friends I ride with have had the same problem specifically related to using aero bikes, riding in an aero position and using saddles which are specialty models for this purpose. There is a problem being created with the interface. Hygiene is a different issue, and certainly is important. I just want to isolate the pressure/fit/interface problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower your saddle by 0.5 - 1cm. I guarantee the sores go away and you probably end up with higher power output too if you have a power meter. Your legs will burn more working at higher power, but you'll actually have less weight on saddle since it is lower and not driving itself up into your crotch. YOUR SEAT IS (Likely) TOO HIGH !!!
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t disagree
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Lower your saddle by 0.5 - 1cm. I guarantee the sores go away and you probably end up with higher power output too if you have a power meter. Your legs will burn more working at higher power, but you'll actually have less weight on saddle since it is lower and not driving itself up into your crotch. YOUR SEAT IS (Likely) TOO HIGH !!!

Saddle fore-aft and angle tweaking in progress, height already tuned and can't go lower for other fit reasons. Not having hip rocking. But good to be aware of this in case it's a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing I try is tea tree oil for 1-2 days, if that has no effect I go with itchthammol ointment. Based on your description, I'd probably go straight to itchthammol.
Quote Reply

Prev Next