Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I still can't believe we won
Quote | Reply
Never thought this would be the year......then I thought it might be the year.....and then I didn't think it would be the year again.

Odds of winning at the beginning of the season were 40/1.
Odds at the end of the season were 14/1, which still means there was a 13/14 chance that they wouldn't.

Still hard to process no longer living in a city without a super bowl win.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philly World Order!!! Fly Eagles Fly!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed this more than either of the Steelers SB victories. It was just an amazing sports story from the outset, coming out of nowhere to lead the league, only to lose Wentz and ostensibly all hope for the season, then to have it rescued in ridiculous fashion by their old QB (and all around good dude) on the verge of early retirement, beating the greatest of all time QB-coach tandem. I mean, it was just bonkers. And the way they beat them--the only way they could beat them--balls to the wall from whistle to whistle. No fear, no hesitation, never letting off the throttle.

Imagine how different it would have been had they knocked off Bortles and the Jaguars. Great, but not epic. This was epic. Couldn't be happier for my long-suffering Eagles fan friends and family.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Feb 14, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Never thought this would be the year......then I thought it might be the year.....and then I didn't think it would be the year again.

Odds at the end of the season were 14/1, which still means there was a 13/14 chance that they wouldn't.

Come here to Detroit. We'll give you all the processing help you need. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It certainly was fun to watch. Now I'm patiently waiting for the Flyers to win again.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ironic thing is this was the Patriots in 2001. Longshot to start the year, lose their starting QB during the season, backup is up and down but the rest of the team around him plays well, team is big underdogs in the SB against a dynasty and wind up winning in a thriller. QB kicked ass in the playoffs, with some memorable plays and drives that he carried the team on.

I've said it before but this loss for the Pats stings a lot less because of how the game played out (among other reasons). And there wasn't a player or coach on Philly that bothered me in any way, just a well coached team that played great the whole season and despite losing some key players still kicked ass...can't be mad at that. I'm no fan of Philly or Philly sports but I'm happy for them and their fans.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Feb 14, 18 5:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF, did you just sober up? The Superb Owl was over a week ago.

Congrats on the win. As a fan of neither team, it was a great game to watch.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Dear God, the Eagles sound like Donald Trump!!!! Make America fly again! :)
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its got a similar feel to your classic Rocky story, one that......well, I don't need to tell you how Philly feels about Rocky.

Even the Philly special: Trick play where the ball gets snapped to a player that didn't get picked up in the draft, who hands it off to a non-starting tight end, and throws it to the back up QB.

Compare that to, say, Brady to Gronkowski, Montana to Rice, Rothlesburger to Ward, Aikman to Johnson, etc.

Definitely a story for the history books. Maybe they'll put it on display next to the liberty bell. =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somebody in Slovenia will be saying the same thing a week from now, big upset as they knock off Team USA in opening men's hockey game this morning.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail your thread but I was thinking about your subject line this morning.

Is it normal to say "We won"? Even though you were not part of the team, worked, or owned the team but only a fan?

Generally I'd say "they won" if I'm a fan, only time I ever said we, is when I was in college and my schools team won, but we didn't win often. Now that I'm not enrolled in school but an alumni, I say 'they won". Its not something I thought about, its just automatically how I processed saying it in my head.
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Somebody in Slovenia will be saying the same thing a week from now, big upset as they knock off Team USA in opening men's hockey game this morning.
It's really sad but I have ZERO interest in hockey in these Olympics. This isn't even like the 1980 games, or the games up to 1994, because at least there you had the best non-NHL talent in the world competing. This year you ahve some KHL talent and Canadian B-level players but for the US it's a couple of college kids then C-level talent playing overseas. It's the worst US team going back to the '60s, imo, and the worst Olympic field - relative to the hockey talent world-wide - ever.

And the most disappointing part is US Hockey has really taken a big step forward the last decade, their depth still isn't close to what Canada boasts but they have so much prime and young superstar talent that is really starting to close the gap just a bit on Canada. Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau, McAvoy, Kane, Kessel, Boeser, Werenski, Suter, Quick, Gibson...it's a world-class roster that's incredibly young, and we don't get to see it compete against the best of Canada, Sweden, Russia etc because the NHL can't figure their shit out.
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, it would have been great this year with the influx of young talent that has come into the league in the past few years, especially on the home side with the names mentioned below. Only real interest for me is seeing the two local collegians where Ryan Donato may likely jump right into the Bruins lineup down the stretch and BU's Jordan Greenway (think a bigger more mobile version of Lucic in his prime). I'm more interested in the women's tournament where US-Canada in a highly anticipated matchup tonight that will likely be the preview of the gold medal game.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, congrats again to the Eagles and their fans.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've said it before but this loss for the Pats stings a lot less because of how the game played out

That illegal formation Philly Special, and the no-call pass interference on Hogan on the final play must sting just a little, no?

Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to say "they" but ever since actually living near the city, it's more of a we. "They" played, but its "our" team.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wide out's foot was in line with the offensive line (I've actually drawn the grid), but technically his head was behind the belt of the center waist, so it would be illegal formation if they called the p;ay strictly. There's two key pieces that are important:

1) Its not unusual to allow that far behind center.

2) More importantly, he checked with the line judge who said it was okay. Why this is significant is that the only way this plays out for the Pats is if the line judge says, "yes, you're good," and then throws the flag anyway, which simply isn't going to happen. He's either going to say yes, and not call it, or he's going to say no, and the wide out will reposition himself 6" closer to the line. Same play, same result.

As for the Hail Mary (pretty sure that was Gonk, not Hogan, but i could be wrong), I didn't see any pass interference on that. Everyone was facing the ball and making a play for it. They don't usually call interference for that. But, they could have, which would have made it a much different game.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.cbssports.com/...uper-bowl-hail-mary/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. Shit happens. =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I've said it before but this loss for the Pats stings a lot less because of how the game played out

That illegal formation Philly Special, and the no-call pass interference on Hogan on the final play must sting just a little, no?

Hogan was mauled, clearly. Gronk pushed off forcefully only moments later. On the other side, Phillip Dorsett was actually pushed into the play. The NFL has a policy of "survival of the fittest" on Hail Marys, so there's that. Even on the Hogan interference there's still a question about where Brady is in the pocket at the time because evidently you can make contact on receivers if the QB is out of the pocket already.

Finally, the refs have a policy of really, really, really not wanting to get involved in penalties during a hail mary. So my $.02 is "that's the way it goes". Also, as an aside, are Pats fans really going to lay this whole thing on the refs over a hail mary? C'mon. They just got beat. The end.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 14, 18 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is most definitely 'we', 'our', and 'us.' The players are out on the field doing the work, but we're all playing against whomever is on the other sideline and opposing city.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no dog in this fight. Just an observation:

I was in Philly the week of the superbowl. I was listening to some FM sports talk. About 30% of the calls were about how Dallas sucks. Really. So the week of a Superbowl game your team wins, you still struggle with an inferiority complex. So..I guess you won. Kind of. Not really.
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I have no dog in this fight. Just an observation:

I was in Philly the week of the superbowl. I was listening to some FM sports talk. About 30% of the calls were about how Dallas sucks. Really. So the week of a Superbowl game your team wins, you still struggle with an inferiority complex. So..I guess you won. Kind of. Not really.

There’s Dallas fans both local and from Dallas who call into the sports shows here. It’s annoying enough that the Dallas sucks gets brought up more then you would probably expect.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
.........you still struggle with an inferiority complex.

Inferiority complex? To what? A team that's won two playoff games in the last 22 years?

I don't think you quite understand the concept of a division rivalry.

Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the gym last night and I saw that NBCSports Philly was replaying the parade for the 17th time

Y'know? I'm kind of over it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I still can't believe we won [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But......are you going to listen to the WIP replay on Sunday. =)

Quote Reply

Prev Next