Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic tubeless road wheels and tires; anyone tried them yet?
Quote | Reply
The new Mavic UST tubeless wheel/tire system looks like a painless way to make the switch to road tubeless. I'm tempted to give them a try on my road bike; not for racing, just general riding. I'm a little hesitant, though, as Mavic's previous tires haven't exactly received glowing reviews. Mavic says the new tires are "improved in every way," but isn't that what they all say? Curious if anyone here has given them a go, yet.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 13, 18 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic tubeless road wheels and tires; anyone tried them yet? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried them, but I know two pro cyclists who rave about them after recently switched. Both are Mavic sponsored, so grain of salt. However neither are the type who do unsolicited promotion, so I think they were being pretty honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic tubeless road wheels and tires; anyone tried them yet? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't made the move, but I'm getting closer. Bicycle Rolling Risistance's recent test confirms they're a huge improvement over the non-UST Yksions in terms of .crr, measuring out slightly better than the "benchmark everyday tire," the 4000SII. The few comments on the BRR test from users are quite positive.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good catch, I missed that review. I'm contemplating picking up a set of Mavic's wheels to see if the hype about mounting/removing their UST tires is real. Mavic's tires appear to be decent according to that test. I'm not sure I'd race on them but they're right on the border for me.

Assuming it has the same bead and dimensions, this tire (the "Tubeless Ready" in 25mm) from Hutchinson should be much faster since it doesn't have the butyl liner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST. I purchased them as I wanted something shallower than my current sets.
The wheels showed up with the tubeless valves installed & tires mounted. With no sealant or tubes, out of curiosity, I inflated the tires with a regular floor pump to 100psi. I let them sit overnight & they still had pressure the next day.
I took the tires off as I wanted to see how difficult/easy they were to mount. They were snug, but went on without a tire lever. You just have to make sure you get the tire bead in the center/trough of the wheel (which is true for all). Right now, I’m running latex tubes in them. I wanted to try them out a bit before doing the whole sealant process. No rim tape is needs as there are no spoke holes and the trough of these rims is super smooth.
I have 150 miles on them so far, and no complaints (or flats). We’ve had great weather lately so I have been on this bike often & haven’t done the sealant thing yet.

Here’s a short blurb of the wheels on this thread, post #18:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tring=mavic#p6600278

(I have no affiliation with Mavic or any bicycle manufacturer.)
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic tubeless road wheels and tires; anyone tried them yet? [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!
I have a pair of the same wheels. They are currently my race wheels. I really liked them. Since you use on daily basis apparently, can you answer me some questions?

1. the free hub of my training wheels spins a lot more than my Mavics. Is that a particular thing for mavic wheels? Any compromise in performance?
2. Can i use other tires or just the mavic tires? I'm thinking in the Corsa G+ speed TLR
3. I weight bout 70kgs, and read the we have to use less pressure for better rolling resistance. Is that true? How many psi do you recomend?
In my last race i used about 100psi. thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic tubeless road wheels and tires; anyone tried them yet? [Gustavohjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gustavohjr wrote:
1. the free hub of my training wheels spins a lot more than my Mavics. Is that a particular thing for mavic wheels? Any compromise in performance?
2. Can i use other tires or just the mavic tires? I'm thinking in the Corsa G+ speed TLR
3. I weight bout 70kgs, and read the we have to use less pressure for better rolling resistance. Is that true? How many psi do you recomend?
In my last race i used about 100psi. thanks a lot!

1. I noticed that as well. I just want down & put my bike on the stand. With 3 revolutions of the cranks and the chain on the big ring & 21 tooth cog, I got ~35 rear wheel revolutions. (Ya, I know not real scientific.) I should've put one of my Chris King or DT Swiss hubbed wheels as a comparison. But on the road, going downhill or even on the flats I didn't really notice any friction.

2. That I can't answer as I haven't tried any other TLR tires...yet. It might be worth getting a Corsa G+ Speed TLR and see, If it doesn't seat tight like the Mavic UST tires, I could just send them back.

3. You're about 5kgs heavier than me. I've been running 97psi up front & 95psi in back. Mavic recommends Max: 102psi with tubes and Max: 87psi tubeless. Right now I'm still running latex in mine, as soon as one of my tubes flat I plan on going with tubeless/sealant.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply