Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes?
Quote | Reply
Hi All, the wife is training for Hawaii 70.3 in a few months and we are going to visit friends for a while (who don't exercise much) that live just NW of Albuquerque in 6 weeks. We're not familiar with the area and she's looking for a place to rent either a tri bike or a road bike and get in a few 40+ mile rides in. Anybody have any rental shops and / or routes you like?

Thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in ABQ for six weeks last summer. There's a multi-use path that runs alongside the Rio Grande called the Paseo del Bosque/Riverside Trail. It was perfectly fine for getting in a few miles. 16 mile trail each way. http://www.cabq.gov/...seo-del-bosque-trail

I didn't bother finding any other riding routes because I didn't want to get out in unfamiliar areas by myself. I'm sure there's better riding around ABQ but the trail was safe, easy, and convenient.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks much; that trail looks great.
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live half a mile off that trail and bike it all the time. Its safe, flat, and only crowded at certain times of the day. There is a bike shop called 'The Bikesmith' in the old town area that is extremely friendly and helpful. They definitely rent road/mountain bikes but if you want a bigger selection check out Sports Systems in the NE area. (I prefer the bikesmith though).

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This website has group rides and road riding routes. Also read the section on goatheads.

My shop of choice is BikeWorks. Two big S shops are Sport Systems on Montgomery and High Desert (2 locations). There's also a Trek store on Menaul.
Last edited by: vjohn: Feb 13, 18 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NW of Albuquerque means Bernalillo, Rio Ranch, or Corrales. So good riding routes are Corrales (Loma Larga), Jemez Dam, Atrisco Vista Blvd (out by Double Eagle Airport), or North to Algodones, possibly East to Placitas. There used to be a good tri shop in Corrales (Hawke's), but they closed.
Last edited by: vjohn: Feb 14, 18 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for the tips on ride areas; I'll look for routes there. Our friends live in Rio Rancho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have her look up trail dog triathlon team on facebook! We ride on weekends and would be happy to have a visitor join us!
Quote Reply
Re: Albuquerque residents: bike shops and riding routes? [ktommila] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is from ABQ and I _love_ visiting the in-laws because I get in some killer rides. ABQ is a great cycling town. For a truly epic ride, look up the "around the mountain" loop. It's more than 40 miles but it's an incredible ride. The climb up to Placitas is good to. I try to get a ride in up to the crest each visit.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the trail by the river. It's only positive is that it's safe/protected. But it's relative boring compared to other routes and there's tons of goatheads just waiting to flat tire tires.

I've rented from the Trek superstore and they were great.

Can't wait to get back there. I'm planning a training camp for me and a buddy out the later this year. You'll love it.
Quote Reply