Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching to Osymetric chainring (fast or slow)
Quote | Reply
Hello,

quick "simple" question. Can I just switch from round shaped chainring to osymetric chainring without adapting to it. And I mean, not racing an ironman in the first day but simple rides the first week. 1 hour bikeride to start and after a ride or 2-3 it is ok to do powertrainings?

So is fast possible or is it best to do it very slow?

Thx in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to Osymetric chainring (fast or slow) [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me very little, if any time to adjust.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to Osymetric chainring (fast or slow) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no danger to hurt some muscles in the beginning or get injured using other muscles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to Osymetric chainring (fast or slow) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Not in my experience.

Thx for sharing! Think this will work fine for me 2 then (touch wood)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I converted to and Q-rings many a years ago which no doubt will give you the same sensations. No chance of injury but maybe fatigue as your muscle memory for pedalling will be disrupted from a circle. After years of riding Q-rings on all my bikes now, when I get on round rings it feels like I'm pedalling an oval shaped ring like I am almost surging but I am smooth on the Q-ring. You may find your level is down using them initially but if they are like and I don't see any reason why not Q-rings you won't take them off your bike again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switching from round rings to Q-rings took virtually no time at all. Felt perfectly natural from the first ride. I think the adaption period is highly individual... some adjust very easily to changes others take quite a bit of time for even the smallest of changes.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only do bikes, but when I got my first TT bike last year it came with a Q Ring. It didn't feel much different, and going back to my round ring road bike actually felt more different then going from round to Q ring.

I could push similar power in the TT position with the Q ring as on a regular road bike.

That being said, I have a predisposition for vastus medialis strain on my left side, and the Q ring seemed to make it a little worse. I switched to a round aero ring on the TT bike.

I would never consider using it on my road bike because the shifting is simply horrific. I guess if you don't have any hills requiring shifting to the small ring it might be OK. And yes my front derailleur was adjusted well. Could never get it to shift right.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to Osymetric chainring (fast or slow) [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And is it ok to have osymetric on the tt bike and normal/standard sram round rings on your roadbike? Or do you have to go all the way or nothing?
Quote Reply