Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses?
Quote | Reply
Hey folks - was wondering if I could get folks advice/feedback on the kind of eyewear they use, esp on days when they'll be doing some running/biking, and some working/reading, without going home in between.

For years now I've worn contacts pretty much all the time when I'm out and about, and often at home too. But lately it's become hard to read while wearing them. The rx still seems fine otherwise.

I'm avoiding anything bi-focal for as long as humanly possible.

So I was wondering: do any of you wear contacts, so that you can do active stuff, and then put on reading glasses to read? I figured that was a bad idea, but turns out people do do that.

Alternatively, what do you look for in glasses that you'd run in? I never found one I really liked for doing that, and worry that they'd fog up.

Current rx is pretty mild, btw - i'm -1.25. But, not interested in running w/out contacts or glasses, def not interested in biking that way.

Thanks!

-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm nearly -5.5 in both eyes with gnarly astigmatism, and also an avid contact wearer. I do find it harder to read with contacts, but not overly so (I'm 37). I'll definitely use some low power readers when I need them, along with my contacts (like 0.5 or 1 power).

I also run with my glasses. I find that whenever I wear a hat or visor, it keeps them from bouncing up and down, as they get sandwiched between the visor and my nose. Never had an issue with fogging. I've also biked with my regular glasses, but I don't get to wear sunglasses with that combo, so I usually just do contacts + sunglasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to 40! Happens to everyone.

Several companies make "multifical" contact lenses that, in theory, allow you to see far away, mid range, and up close without the need for reading glasses. Not everyone can adapt to them. In my practice, approximately 1/3 of my patients love them, 1/3 get by, 1/3 hate them. The only way to find out what group you are in is to try them for a few weeks. The two brands I have the most success with are Air Optix Multificals and Biofinity Multifocals. Talk to your eye doctor about the options they offer. Another option is trying monovision. You being a -1.25 is the perfect Rx for this. Simply wear a contact lens in your dominant eye and do not wear one in the other eye.

Even with LASIK or other refractive surgery options, you will still need reading glasses. There is something called the KAMRA inlay, but I haven't seen many people post op that are happy with it.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear glasses daily - progressive, transition lens. If it's overcast, I'll wear them to run. When biking, I wear prescription sunglasses corrected for distance, not close-up. For racing, I wear contacts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike: Contacts more or less every time.

Run: under an hour or so and I'll typically just wear my glasses; over an hour and I'll wear contacts. Sometimes I wear neither (sunglasses instead -- I'm too cheap to get prescription sunglasses); my eyesight is quite poor but I can see things that are large enough to run me over.

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses? [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up in the 8 and 9 range and I love my multifocals--just started them last month. The best part so far is that I can read my bike computer now :-)

treyedr wrote:

Several companies make "multifical" contact lenses that, in theory, allow you to see far away, mid range, and up close without the need for reading glasses. Not everyone can adapt to them. In my practice, approximately 1/3 of my patients love them, 1/3 get by, 1/3 hate them. The only way to find out what group you are in is to try them for a few weeks. The two brands I have the most success with are Air Optix Multificals and Biofinity Multifocals. Talk to your eye doctor about the options they offer. Another option is trying monovision. You being a -1.25 is the perfect Rx for this. Simply wear a contact lens in your dominant eye and do not wear one in the other eye.

Even with LASIK or other refractive surgery options, you will still need reading glasses. There is something called the KAMRA inlay, but I haven't seen many people post op that are happy with it.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tifosi makes a number of great sports glasses with a small "reader" piece stuck in the corner. I get unobstructed looks down the road, but can read my garmin when looking down. Yes, it's a non-prescription bi-focal, but WAAY cheaper than looking at prescription cycling glasses.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So I was wondering: do any of you wear contacts, so that you can do active stuff, and then put on reading glasses to read? I figured that was a bad idea, but turns out people do do that.
Quote:

Why would that be a bad idea? Your eyes are getting worse, and you need to look at stuff a short distances, i.e. letters on a screen. The fact that you correct another eye problem (nearsightedness) with contacts doesn't make the other one go away, does it? I'm confused what your problem is.

As to a solution: there's these guys:

https://www.dualeyewear.com/

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses? [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother uses the mutifocal and loves 'em. I was told a couple of years ago I have too much astigmatism for them.
I'm curious if any improvements have been made recently?
It stinks since if there is low light I now have trouble seeing my bike computer. Sheesh! (ha!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
six pairs of glasses -
reading
computer
progressive for driving, general wandering around
fit-over sunglasses to wear over the progressives for sunny day driving
prescription sunglasses for fishing/shooting/general outdoors
prescription sunglasses, an older single-vision long distance, for workouts. Here in CO we don't have fogging issues since it's so dry.

it's simple, really ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the professional feedback!

Just a note, to you and everyone: I WILL NEVER WEAR BIFOCALS OR MULTIFOCALS FOR AS LONG AS I CAN POSSIBLY AVOID IT AND, HOPEFULLY, NEVER.
Reason: I have a history of ocular migraines. The most consistent trigger is having to deal with things that make it difficult for my eyes to focus - driving w/a dirty windshield, watching a baseball game from behind the protective netting, that sort of thing. My vision will go back and forth btwn focusing on what I want to see and focusing on the windshield, netting, etc. Similarly, any glasses I wear need to be pretty big, so that I don't see too much above/below the lens or to the side of it.

So I'm not going to try the multifocal stuff, it's just an invitation to multiple migraines for me.

I am curious about the monovision stuff. (My first ever rx had just glass in one eye; if the store had stocked monocles I would've been way tempted).

treyedr wrote:

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:

Why would that be a bad idea? Your eyes are getting worse, and you need to look at stuff a short distances, i.e. letters on a screen. The fact that you correct another eye problem (nearsightedness) with contacts doesn't make the other one go away, does it? I'm confused what your problem is.

Was just my gut reaction - since I read fine w/out contacts, the idea of 2 lenses just to get back to where i started, I dunno, didn't seem like a good idea.
But people seem to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth: I wear bi-focals. I don't find them to be an obstacle to focusing. On the contrary, they allow my eyes to focus without undo strain.

Of course, if you do silly things with them (looking through the distance portion to try to read) then yes, you will struggle. Don't do that. (It very quickly became second nature to me to look through the appropriate portion to see whatever I am trying to see. I would have to consciously try to misuse them in order to misuse them.)

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Question for folks about eyewear - glasses you can run in? Contacts + reading glasses? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mac wrote:
My brother uses the mutifocal and loves 'em. I was told a couple of years ago I have too much astigmatism for them.
I'm curious if any improvements have been made recently?
It stinks since if there is low light I now have trouble seeing my bike computer. Sheesh! (ha!)

There are a few toric multifocal lenses on the market. Proclear toric MF is the lens I choose if I need to do a fitting. The only problem is they get pricey. I just double checked the available parameters and unless you have an EXTREMELY high amount of prescription, there will be a lens for you. If you have your contact lens Rx handy, you can plug the numbers in here to see if it is available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the monovision, just wear one contact lens! You have the perfect Rx to see at arm's length.

But....given what you said about ophthalmic migraines, you may not like it. Your best option might be to upgrade to the Garmin Edge 1030 or another head unit with a large screen.

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Thanks for the professional feedback!

Just a note, to you and everyone: I WILL NEVER WEAR BIFOCALS OR MULTIFOCALS FOR AS LONG AS I CAN POSSIBLY AVOID IT AND, HOPEFULLY, NEVER.
Reason: I have a history of ocular migraines. The most consistent trigger is having to deal with things that make it difficult for my eyes to focus - driving w/a dirty windshield, watching a baseball game from behind the protective netting, that sort of thing. My vision will go back and forth btwn focusing on what I want to see and focusing on the windshield, netting, etc. Similarly, any glasses I wear need to be pretty big, so that I don't see too much above/below the lens or to the side of it.

So I'm not going to try the multifocal stuff, it's just an invitation to multiple migraines for me.

I am curious about the monovision stuff. (My first ever rx had just glass in one eye; if the store had stocked monocles I would've been way tempted).

treyedr wrote:

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had occular (sp?) migraines as well..... and went from reading glasses at 40... to bifocals at 47... and two years (52 now) ago switched to monovision... a 1.5 in the right and a 3.5 in the left. It has really helped.... in cycling helps to see the bike computer, lets me buy regular instead of prescription sunglasses, I can see through my goggles when swimming... and since switching I've not had a migraine in the last two years. I'm not sure whether the switch did it, or just being fitter and more active. I have noticed I have to buy high quality sunglasses to maintain good vision....

I was really surprised at how quickly my eyes/brain adapted to the different prescriptions in each eye. I'm a total believer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wear regular glasses + Croakies

If they're good enough for Milo, they're good enough for me

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:
Try the monovision, just wear one contact lens! You have the perfect Rx to see at arm's length.

But....given what you said about ophthalmic migraines, you may not like it. Your best option might be to upgrade to the Garmin Edge 1030 or another head unit with a large screen.

Ok, I'm thinking about it... just kind of nervous to take the plunge.

FWIW I don't have any problem reading my garmin - which is just a watch.
Also fine, generally speaking, with restaurant menus, as long as there isn't an essay describing each item.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to share a funny story about my glasses. I don't use distance correction yet, but am about to take that dive. I use readers at 2.5 for most everything up close. I don't wear anything on the run, just a hat with black under the visor to reduce glare. For the bike I obviously wear regular sun glasses. We'll I got tired of not being able to see my bike computer while riding. I had a pair of sun glasses in the car with built in readers. I thought perfect. I went for my first ride and dammit, the screen of my computer was black...I assumed dead batteries. Then I got the idea to rotate my head 90 degrees. Bingo, polarized lenses. I then bought a pair of regular sun glasses with readers. Problem solved.

I'm getting ready to get my first pair of prescription glasses for middle distances. Not sure what I'll do. This thread has me thinking now.

PS, just turning 60. Old age inhales forcefully...
Quote Reply