Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NY Times will be gone in 10 years.
Quote | Reply
Yep. Not fake news. This is from the NYT CEO Mark Thompson. Read about the demise of the paper here.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Yep. Not fake news. This is from the NYT CEO Mark Thompson. Read about the demise of the paper here.

I'd be shocked if newsprint-based, brick-and-mortar newspapers lasted another 10 years, frankly, given the pace and growth of digital as the preferred medium for many people, even among those doddering old fools in the Boomer generation. ;-)

Michio Kaku, in a talk given in late 2016, discussed the impact of technology in the coming 5-10-20 years. Just the improvements in smart glasses and a smart contact lens could spell the end of traditional print-based newspapers.

There'll still be holdouts for some time to come, though. My father, for instance, lives for the Sunday newspaper and he still has a daily newspaper subscription. My guess is, we'll bury him with with a folded-up copy of his beloved Detroit Free Press. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 13, 18 2:47
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Where in the article does it say the NYT will be gone? It says the print version may be dead, but the digital version is expected to be happily moving along. Don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that print media is on the endangered species list. But evolution is at play and many of those traditional print media organizations will survive in another form. Do you REALLY expect the NYT and WP to disappear?
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
H- wrote:

Where in the article does it say the NYT will be gone? It says the print version may be dead, but the digital version is expected to be happily moving along. Don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that print media is on the endangered species list. But evolution is at play and many of those traditional print media organizations will survive in another form. Do you REALLY expect the NYT and WP to disappear?

I meant to point that out as well. The Times' digital subscription base has been strong in the past and getting stronger still -- especially in this era of Trumpian excess, hahahahaha! All the Trump haters are flocking to the NYT, it seems. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     I have subscription to their sister, WAPO.
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim owns the NYT, which haters dub "Slim's Slimes." ;-)

Amazon's Jeff Bezos bought the WaPo off the Graham family -- who also unloaded Newsweek for a dollar in the process -- and he's definitely having an effect on its editorial stance, which may be one reason Trump dislikes the Post so (he's not a big fan of Bezos and Amazon and its increasingly global reach).

The LA Times was recently sold to a billionaire medical doctor and possible Trump supporter. Hahahahahaha!

Trump is good for the mainstream press, which thrives off his 24/7 nonstop news-making ability. He knows it, and they know it. But I think he and they are wearing the rest of us out. LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm one of those dinosaurs too, still have a daily subscription to the Boston Globe (home-delivered copy of this morning's edition on my desk as I type). I use a lot of online content as well for my news fix but I've always liked having it in print.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I'm one of those dinosaurs too, still have a daily subscription to the Boston Globe (home-delivered copy of this morning's edition on my desk as I type). I use a lot of online content as well for my news fix but I've always liked having it in print.

As a kid, I hustled money by being a paper boy (among other licit and illicit jobs ;-), delivering the Detroit News on my route. We met every day at a local distribution operation (it was a small storefront), folded our papers and secured them with rubber bands, put them in our canvas bags and threw those over our bike seats (or put them in, literally, a little red wagon... especially if we had a kid sister or brother helping us) and took off to throw each one on the designated front porch (contrary to cinematic portrayals, we never threw them into lawn sprinklers or the like ;-).

My hands would be greatly smudged with the ink from the newsprint by the time I was done each day. But it was fun and I earned a few bucks a week. I can't remember the last time I actually saw a paper boy. Most of the time, I see the papers delivered by adults in cars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
H- wrote:

I meant to point that out as well.

No, you didn't. Now you are just blatantly lying. Your credibility continues to slide, if that's at all possible.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
dave_w wrote:

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim owns the NYT, which haters dub "Slim's Slimes." ;-)

For crying out loud, he does not own the NYTimes. He's the largest individual (non-institutional) shareholder, but he still doesn't own the Times.

What's your agenda here?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
H- wrote:

No, you didn't. Now you are just blatantly lying. Your credibility continues to slide, if that's at all possible.

I love you too, Ken, my brother from another mother. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
H- wrote:

Knock it off. That shtick doesn't work, and all the smileys you use doesn't detract from your bulls***.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
H- wrote:

Knock it off. That shtick doesn't work, and all the smileys you use doesn't detract from your bulls***.

Such anger doesn't look good on you, Ken, and sorry you feel that way.

Personally, I don't see where I criticized either the NYT (and saying that haters call it "Slim's Slimes" isn't a personal criticism) or agreed with the OP's premise. But if that's what you believe, then that's what you believe. Sorry again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
dave_w wrote:

Amazon's Jeff Bezos bought the WaPo off the Graham family -- who also unloaded Newsweek for a dollar in the process -- and he's definitely having an effect on its editorial stance, which may be one reason Trump dislikes the Post so (he's not a big fan of Bezos and Amazon and its increasingly global reach).

The LA Times was recently sold to a billionaire medical doctor and possible Trump supporter. Hahahahahaha!

Trump is good for the mainstream press, which thrives off his 24/7 nonstop news-making ability. He knows it, and they know it. But I think he and they are wearing the rest of us out. LOL!
-
Well, the only other one I actually pay for is WSJ, and their opinion pages run conservative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

As a kid, I hustled money by being a paper boy (among other licit and illicit jobs ;-), delivering the Detroit News on my route. We met every day at a local distribution operation (it was a small storefront), folded our papers and secured them with rubber bands, put them in our canvas bags and threw those over our bike seats (or put them in, literally, a little red wagon... especially if we had a kid sister or brother helping us) and took off to throw each one on the designated front porch (contrary to cinematic portrayals, we never threw them into lawn sprinklers or the like ;-).

My hands would be greatly smudged with the ink from the newsprint by the time I was done each day. But it was fun and I earned a few bucks a week. I can't remember the last time I actually saw a paper boy. Most of the time, I see the papers delivered by adults in cars.
Ah, happy memories. Our small town had two daily local newspapers, the morning Democrat and Chronicle and the afternoon Corning Leader. It was a real plum to be selected as one of their delivery boys (back in the day before travel teams, play stations, and other things that would consume your free time). Delivering papers and then going door to door to collect money once per week could be epic in the winter.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

Ah, happy memories. Our small town had two daily local newspapers, the morning Democrat and Chronicle and the afternoon Corning Leader. It was a real plum to be selected as one of their delivery boys (back in the day before travel teams, play stations, and other things that would consume your free time). Delivering papers and then going door to door to collect money once per week could be epic in the winter.

We had nicknames for many of our daily and Sunday newspaper customers, typically based on some personal aspect or something about their house or how often they paid, which was supposed to be weekly on collection days. Being kids, some of the names weren't all that nice (and maturity taught us that) but it was how we were easily able to remember them in case we had to have another family member or a friend do the route that day.

Being Detroit had two big papers you usually had no problem landing a route in your neighborhood, and all the routes were local back then. Something like a few blocks worth or so. I never personally experienced a single issue or problem and everyone back then was nice and paid up on time. Most were auto workers or worked in a business associated with the auto industry, and the weekly cost wasn't all that much. No problems like this kid had, right? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
[

Personally, I don't see where I criticized either the NYT (and saying that haters call it "Slim's Slimes" isn't a personal criticism) or agreed with the OP's premise. But if that's what you believe, then that's what you believe. Sorry again.

You lied in the subject line. You lied about what the article said. You lied about Carlos Slim owning the NYTimes.

Now you try to shift the issue away from your lying to "criticizing" the NYTimes, and try to say you didn't necessarily agree with what *you* wrote in the OP? WTF?

Anger about a liar doesn't look half as bad on me as being a liar does on you. You deserve to be called out for what you are, in the hope that others will also see you as you are. Those of us who were around before your unfortunately impermanent exile will remember that you were a liar back then, too. You admitted as much when you acknowledged posting things you knew were wrong.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
[

You lied in the subject line. You lied about what the article said. You lied about Carlos Slim owning the NYTimes.

Now you try to shift the issue away from your lying to "criticizing" the NYTimes, and try to say you didn't necessarily agree with what *you* wrote in the OP? WTF?

Anger about a liar doesn't look half as bad on me as being a liar does on you. You deserve to be called out for what you are, in the hope that others will also see you as you are. Those of us who were around before your unfortunately impermanent exile will remember that you were a liar back then, too. You admitted as much when you acknowledged posting things you knew were wrong.

I didn't write the OP, Ken. You need to take your criticisms to Mr. H. for that. As far as Carlos Slim, he had a lot of stock in the NYT, but that's not the same as owning it, which you correctly pointed out (I think the Sulzbergers own it, correct?). At any rate, Slim has indicated he plans to slash his Times holdings from 17% to 8%.

As far as the rest goes, I'm sorry for angering you so much. In my case, as I've pointed out freely, you should take what I say and start by immediately discounting 50% of that and then negotiating with me for further markdowns on the price.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
[

I didn't write the OP, Ken. You need to take your criticisms to Mr. H. for that. As far as Carlos Slim, he had a lot of stock in the NYT, but that's not the same as owning it, which you correctly pointed out (I think the Sulzbergers own it, correct?). At any rate, Slim has indicated he plans to slash his Times holdings from 17% to 8%.

As far as the rest goes, I'm sorry for angering you so much. In my case, as I've pointed out freely, you should take what I say and start by immediately discounting 50% of that and then negotiating with me for further markdowns on the price.

My sincere apologies. No, you didn't write the OP.

You're still a liar :-)

(see how that works?)

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
klehner wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
[

My sincere apologies. No, you didn't write the OP.

You're still a liar :-)

(see how that works?)

Well, you really taught me a lesson there, Ken. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
H- wrote:

I said the paper would be gone, not the digital version. I provided a link to interview with the CEO.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I did the same from age 10-13 lugging both the morning and evening Boston Globe as well as the Sunday edition. The daily route during the week was easy enough to do on foot or bike with the huge ink-stained canvas bag slung over my shoulder. Sunday route was much bigger and required my mom or an unlucky (and likely hungover) older sibling to drive the family station wagon with the back section full of papers.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be shocked if newsprint-based, brick-and-mortar newspapers lasted another 10 years, frankly, given the pace and growth of digital as the preferred medium for many people, even among those doddering old fools in the Boomer generation.

Agreed - I would not be surprised either, or at least the NYT's and all other major news/media outlets are operating in a completely different manner - one we can't even see today!

With modern technology things change VERY fast - consider where entire businesses and industries, like the music, retail, movie, businesses were 5 - 10 years ago. They have been more or less, turned upside down and inside out, and changed the habits of consumers dramatically.

5 years ago they had just finished building this HUGE shopping mall in the middle of nowhere, about half way between Phoenix and Tucson (it was about an hour drive to get there for most people). All the usual suspects had massive big-box stores there with the typically ocean sized parking lot surrounding the main shopping area. I wonder how this mall is doing? Probably not that well or already shut down!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way it's going Casa Grande will just be part of Phoenix soon.
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Yup, I did the same from age 10-13 lugging both the morning and evening Boston Globe as well as the Sunday edition. The daily route during the week was easy enough to do on foot or bike with the huge ink-stained canvas bag slung over my shoulder. Sunday route was much bigger and required my mom or an unlucky (and likely hungover) older sibling to drive the family station wagon with the back section full of papers.
Right there with you. Delivered the Globe for six or seven years, I used to love doing the route, I'd time myself and try to beat my best time every day - I wasn't competitive at all :) Flinging rubber bands at my sisters, getting down early on Christmas morning to sneak a peak at presents before delivery (no idea why the paper ran that day, but it did, at least a few years I can imagine)

It also started me down all my injury issues, strangely enough. My dad would drive myself and two sisters who also had routes around the neighborhood in our mini van for the big Sunday papers. One fateful day when I was 13 I was in the back grabbing some papers, started backing out of the door and my dad thought I had already gotten out. I fell, left leg wound up getting run over. Stuck in a cast for 3 months and no rehab afterward, and ever since then my left ankle has almost no flexion, hip is rigid because of it and my right side takes the brunt, two hip surgeries already.

Yay paper route!
Quote Reply

Prev Next