Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Job, conflict for upcoming first day.
Quote | Reply
I’ve been looking for a job for quite awhile, and finally got one. I interviewed 2 weeks ago, and last week submitted my background check and drug test. My hiring was contingent on passing those two things, and nothing else. Because they didn’t have results yet, I wasn’t officially hired and had no schedule yet.

I just got a call back today and they said that I am hired, and can start Friday at noon. This would be perfect except for the fact that I’ve been planning on being out of town that day for a month or so.

Here is my question: do I cancel travel and the plans I made with people, or do I ask my new employer to start me one day later?
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is a professional job or college-type job but since you stated you've been looking for awhile, I'd recommend starting the job and cancel your plans with friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what JD said.
is this a barista job or a stepping stone to something inline with your career that could pay dividends?
why are you going out of town? fun with friends? or a wedding?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call them, say that you are very excited to begin, nd ask if you can start one day later. Given that you no specific start date or schedule, they may be fine with that. If not, and you really want the job, cancel your previous plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
I’ve been looking for a job for quite awhile, and finally got one. I interviewed 2 weeks ago, and last week submitted my background check and drug test. My hiring was contingent on passing those two things, and nothing else. Because they didn’t have results yet, I wasn’t officially hired and had no schedule yet.

I just got a call back today and they said that I am hired, and can start Friday at noon. This would be perfect except for the fact that I’ve been planning on being out of town that day for a month or so.

Here is my question: do I cancel travel and the plans I made with people, or do I ask my new employer to start me one day later?

If I had a kid I offered a job say sorry I have plans the weekend I start, well that would be the last conversation. Do you want the job or not? If you want the job, life happens. If you don't want the job, take your planned weekend. What's worth more to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get 0% of what you don't ask for.

If they want you, they want you -- they are not going to rescind your employment offer.
If they would rescind the offer, you probably don't want to work for them anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:

If I found out an employee I just hired with a start time of sometime when the paperwork gets done. Started at noon on Friday when they were to be out of town, instead of nicely asking if they could start Monday. I would fire them on the spot, as I don't want a bunch of employee's who are so afraid they won't ask about being flexible.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
what JD said.
is this a barista job or a stepping stone to something inline with your career that could pay dividends?
why are you going out of town? fun with friends? or a wedding?
Im going out of town to see family.

And the job, i’m in college but hoping to keep this job all the way through. It’s a great fit and the employers are amazingly kind and welcoming, and are excited to have me.

Will it lead to career type advances? I don’t believe so, it’s obly related to my future career if you really stretch it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friday at noon?! I'm curious as to what you do? What's the agenda on Friday? Will it be a full day?
I only ask as most start dates are on Mondays, day one is paperwork, badging, orientation type activities and most importantly it aligns with payroll weeks.
Up to you but I would let them know you are excited for the role however already have travel plans on at day, state the next available date. It doesn't sound like they gave you a "start" date expectation through the the interviewing process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest this. "I am excited to come to work for you. I have had a weekend trip planned with my family for that day. I will be happy to cancel it, but wanted to ask if it would be an inconvenience if I started on Monday instead. "

You are letting them know that the job has the priority, but that you would like to go on the family trip if it is all the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Im going out of town to see family.

And the job, i’m in college but hoping to keep this job all the way through. It’s a great fit and the employers are amazingly kind and welcoming, and are excited to have me.

Will it lead to career type advances? I don’t believe so, it’s obly related to my future career if you really stretch it.

Employer is amazingly kind and welcoming, you have a scheduled trip to see family. My guess that was the earliest they could get you in so the figured you would want to get in. I really think you have nothing to lose in letting them know you have plans to be out of town visiting family, you could change those or plans, or would it be ok to start work on Monday (assuming this is a Mon - Fri type job)

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are people and relationships are about communication.

I don’t believe keeping quiet gets you anywhere. Further, you should have told them instantly when they told you Friday at noon it was an issue.

I would have simply said- I was prepared to start when the paperwork was completed, but I didn’t expect the paperwork to be done this quickly, nor did I expect that I would start on a Friday with only 1/2 day that work week. If it’s absolutely necessary, I will start, although I had plans for a month out of town Friday-Sunday.

Can I start Monday?
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
People are people and relationships are about communication.

I don’t believe keeping quiet gets you anywhere. Further, you should have told them instantly when they told you Friday at noon it was an issue.

I would have simply said- I was prepared to start when the paperwork was completed, but I didn’t expect the paperwork to be done this quickly, nor did I expect that I would start on a Friday with only 1/2 day that work week. If it’s absolutely necessary, I will start, although I had plans for a month out of town Friday-Sunday.

Can I start Monday?

+1

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really just come down to your priorities and where do you want to be short or long term.

I mean there could be extraneous circumstances, like sick relative or paid lots of money upfront that you’ll lose.

It sounds as if you just need to start work on Friday and ask for a later day off when you’re establishing to make up the trip.
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyLo wrote:
Friday at noon?! I'm curious as to what you do? What's the agenda on Friday? Will it be a full day?
I only ask as most start dates are on Mondays, day one is paperwork, badging, orientation type activities and most importantly it aligns with payroll weeks.
Up to you but I would let them know you are excited for the role however already have travel plans on at day, state the next available date. It doesn't sound like they gave you a "start" date expectation through the the interviewing process.

That’s my question. That is a bizarre time to have your first day.

That said just ask, they’re not going to fire you for it. If the employer isn’t crap, they expect that you may not be able to have the exact start date they want.

The job I have now when I interviewed, I told the manager at the time I’d be gone for 2.5 weeks 2 months into the job because I was getting married and had our honeymoon scheduled. I just wanted to be upfront about it, he responded with “sorry we don’t let people get married here”. As someone else said, people are people, if the job is worth having, they’ll understand. If they don’t I would guess the job isn’t going to be what you think it is.
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar story, job I desperately wanted, called them said before I accept the job I need to know if its ok if I take 2 weeks off after i get start, since I'm getting married. They were more than accommodating.

As for a Friday afternoon, I assume because its because the business is slow and allows time for training.
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started my current job a day late because i was driving back from an IM on the Monday. Bought me loads of novelty value here.

If you don't ask, you don't get. Just make sure you sound like you're keen to start and raring to go. If you sound like you don't give a shit then it might not work out so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I ask why you were not upfront with them to begin with? At some time in the process, prior to now, why didn’t you ask/tell them about your plans? I have always made those types of plans known upfront.

Of course, just going to visit really isn’t a good reason at this point into the process. This one is on you for not being proactive in letting them know.
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TooSlow wrote:
Can I ask why you were not upfront with them to begin with? At some time in the process, prior to now, why didn’t you ask/tell them about your plans? I have always made those types of plans known upfront.

Of course, just going to visit really isn’t a good reason at this point into the process. This one is on you for not being proactive in letting them know.
I wasn’t upfront at first because I didn’t know I if had the job, and there was no talk of when I could start. I agree though, I should have said something.

After mulling over what I was feeling and what was said in this thread, I called the other day and left a message (he was on a mid week vacation) just explaining what happened.

He just called me back and was more than reasssuring that it was no issue at all, and i’m going to go in today to fill out the paperwork and start on Saturday.

Thank you all (:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still curious what the job is. spill!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: New Job, conflict for upcoming first day. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
still curious what the job is. spill!
Just a part time gig at the local Audi dealership as a lot attendant/porter (:

Pretty much my dream part time/non career related job I could hope for (:
Quote Reply