Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Illicito owners - do you use a trainer?
Quote | Reply
I'm buying a new frame and the Illicito is one I'm considering. QR says to not use this frame on a trainer. But then they say, if you must, the LaMond Revolution is okay. Having a Kickr, I contacted customer support to make sure it would be okay to use with the frame. Their response: QR recommends the Illicito not be used on any trainer. Well over 70% of my rides are on a trainer.

So, my question: Have you used your Illicito on a trainer? Any ill-effects from doing so? Is this QR just being overly cautious?

Or should I forget the whole idea and just buy a "normal" bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Illicito owners - do you use a trainer? [YorktownTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Buy one of the Quintana Roo PR series bikes.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 100% of my training rides indoors. I have a crazy cheap trainer which I spent $600 3-4 years ago (really could have gone much cheaper off of CL's or something) and its not left the trainer since. The bike is set up to the same measurements as my race bike (Dimond) which cannot be ridden on a standard 'fixed' trainer. If you really want the QR (ie it fits, you think its rad and you'll race it hard) then get it, and just set up a dummy training bike.

Side note, something like the feedback sports Omnium trainer or typical rollers could be an option as it doesn't fix the rear wheel.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of that also depends on your body type- I have a runner's build and don't put out a lot of power, and was able to use my Illicito on a standard fluid trainer without any issues. However, if you are a bigger/stronger rider, there's a very good possibility that you might experience some issues by strapping your Illicito into any trainer; not due to any engineering faults or oversights on QR's part, but due to the fact that the Illicito was designed very specifically as a go-fast race-day bike. It's a phenomenal bike to ride on the roads and race (wish I had never sold mine!), it "can" be used on a trainer; however, the best indoor option would be a set of rollers that doesn't put extra stress on that rear triangle. If, however, you want to keep your trainer, definitely check out their PR series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a PRsix instead. Not just because of the trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really like the Illicito best, buy it.

Than find a cheap bike for the trainer that you can make hit your tri fit. Yeah, that might not be easy, but you'll have a back up bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers.

Quote Reply
Re: Illicito owners - do you use a trainer? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Buy a PRsix instead. Not just because of the trainer

The geometry of the Illicito is different to the PRSix. For riders like me, the Illicito or CD01 is better

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if you've already pulled the trigger, but the CD01 is the same geometry as the Illicito, and I think you can use that one on the trainer

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply