Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ESPN Golic and Wingo
Quote | Reply
I have tried listening to G&W multiple times (and before, when it was Mike and Mike) but I just cannot stand all of the freaking commercials and the constant marketing. Fortunately, satellite radio has multiple choices for sports talk but I choose to switch channels during my commutes. Golic and Wingo has the longest commercial breaks of any of the AM talk shows. And then, when they are back from commercial break, it's still a running commercial throughout the show:

"On our 1-800-FLOWERS Twitter feed...."

"Calling on our Penzoil Performance line......"

And then I heard something stupid sponsored by Wendy's burgers this AM.

I like the show but end up not listening to it because of all of this interference
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two complaints about talk radio in general. There are lots of commercials. And even worse, "We have a caller on the line from Bugtussle. What have you got for us, Cleetus!" The callers don't reflect well on the level of intelligence in the USA.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from the ads, they just suck.

Golic and Greenberg were offsetting personalities, and Greenberg ran the show. Wingo is just another idiot, which doesn’t set any contrast to Golics schtick. Plus, Golic Jr. is a self important blowhard.

I used to tune into Mike and Mike pretty regularly, but now I don’t even bother.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listen to ESPN FC on satellite, and I believe that most of their programs only run two spots per hour, for a grand total of about 4-5 minutes. It's soccer talk, so - understandably - most americans would rather listen to 30 minutes of ads per hour on a typical "big four" sports station.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the entire ESPN radio lineup, with the possible exception of the Dan LeBetard show, has sunken into the abyss. Mike and Mike was awesome, Golic and Wingo, not. Steven A just likes to yell. Spain and Fitz are unbearable for me thanks to Spain's constant righteousness and social justice crusading. I want sports, not divisive politics.

Goodbye ESPN Radio, its been nice to know ya, but I'm off this bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listen to sports radio on my commute off and on. The commercials are ridiculously long and some are so horrible I have to change the channel after having heard them dozens of times. One that comes to mind is the "mens" divorce attorney. His accent or voice is bad and makes me want to poke my eardrums out.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Golic and Greenberg were offsetting personalities, and Greenberg ran the show. Wingo is just another idiot, which doesn’t set any contrast to Golics schtick. Plus, Golic Jr. is a self important blowhard.

I used to tune into Mike and Mike pretty regularly, but now I don’t even bother.

Totally agree. This morning with Adnan Virk was so much better -- because of the contrast.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Totally agree. This morning with Adnan Virk was so much better -- because of the contrast.

Agree as well on all counts. I did not think I would miss Greeny, but, man-oh-man is he missed.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

x2. ESPN needs a nepotism rule. He brings absolutely nothing to that show.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a loyal Mike-and-Mike listener for damn near their entire 18 year run. I too was getting turned off by the amount of commercial and sponsor plugs they used. When Greenie left that was it for me. I try to listen to Morning Men on MAd Dog Radio, but they're a bit like listening to two 13 year olds, which I do every time my son has a friend over. Fox Sports1 morning show with Chris Carter and Nick Whoever has no energy. Aside from an occasional scores check, ESPN is completely off my radar these days. Maybe with John Skipper finally gone they'll right the ship and lose the political angle to every sports discussion.

I did find Mad Dog Sports for my afternoon commute, he (Christopher Russo) took a bit to grow on me, but I'm a solid listener now.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm much more of a college fan than a pro fan. I listen to XM's college sports network quite a bit. They seem to keep the loud-mouthed opinionated hot takes to a minimum. Mostly adult conversation.

I really miss Steve Czaban's morning show. I wish he would find his way back to satellite radio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clay Travis in entertaining to me. He almost tries too hard to be controversial but that’s better than all the pc BS you find elsewhere.

Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd still produce shows l like.

ESPNU has some good content if you’re a college sports fan.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Totally agree. This morning with Adnan Virk was so much better -- because of the contrast.[/quote]
I'm so with you on Adnan Virk. I've spent the last two days thinking we need to start a petition with ESPN to replace Wingo with Adnan.

My solution to the commercials is the podcast. They've usually uploaded the first hour before I start my morning commute so I listen to that instead of the radio. Then I fast forward, or slide forward, through the commercials.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Clay Travis in entertaining to me. He almost tries too hard to be controversial but that’s better than all the pc BS you find elsewhere.

Where and when is Clay Travis on these days? I used to see him on FS1 in the morning, then that time slot was replaced with CC and Nick Wright

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clay Travis used to be in the 6A to 9A (east coast USA time slot) but now he can be heard only from 6A-6:30A and then Cris Carter's show takes over. Both are on the Fox Sports radio XM channel.

Most of my listening is done on Channel 84 (XM's ESPNU College sports). One of my favorites is Full Ride with Chris Childers and Rick Neuhisel. They have good chemistry and work well together. Also, any show with Andy Staples hosting always seems to be quality material. ESPNU is 99% college football during football season (as well as April to August) and mostly basketball from February to the end of March.

I like to flip over to the other XM sports channels occasionally to check out what may be going on in the NBA or NFL. That is when I turn to ESPN and hear Golic and Wingo (formerly Mike and Mike) but, like I said, I'm sick of the commercials so I stay away. The Dan LeBatard show is entertaining but I like his TV show (Highly Questionable) much better.......though it was much more enjoyable when Bomani Jones was the cohost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm in the mountain time zone, I get up early, just not early enough to catch Clay Travis.

Bomani Jones was one I never could listen too, I agree he was good on Highly Questionable. Every after show of his turned away from sports and into social issues. He's the reason I found Mad Dog on my afternoon commute.

-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Feb 13, 18 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Where and when is Clay Travis on these days? I used to see him on FS1 in the morning, then that time slot was replaced with CC and Nick Wright

Clay’s entire show is on Sirius XM 218. You can also listen to replays on iHeartRadio.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think Golic Jr has a little bit of a Cris Farley sounding voice/accent? If he just stretched it out a little more, I could believe it was Farley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss Mike & Mike. Wingo and Junior just don't do much for me.

I can't stand Steven A. Smith. I wonder if anyone has told him he does not need to yell.

We have a couple local shows that are far more entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the opening music? - its like some kind of off key trumpet or something. It's like nails on a chalkboard.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Agree as well on all counts. I did not think I would miss Greeny, but, man-oh-man is he missed.

Exactly.. I watched M&M for years and wondered how it would do without Greeny. It's pretty shocking just how bad it is without him.. Just shows that maybe going to school for journalism can be helpful.

the person that was filling in this week or last week. The musician, for violin, was really good.
If they had a weekly guest tryout for a couple months I might start watching again
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m on the other side here. Although I agree with the comments about Golic Jr, I actually think Wingo is better than Greenie. Greenberg seemed to take himself too seriously. Many times I’d think he needs to lighten up, this is only sports. Wingo seems to get that.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Golic and Wingo [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
I’m on the other side here. Although I agree with the comments about Golic Jr, I actually think Wingo is better than Greenie. Greenberg seemed to take himself too seriously. Many times I’d think he needs to lighten up, this is only sports. Wingo seems to get that.

I didn't have a problem with Greenberg as a serious sports commentator. I just never appreciated his totally phony self deprecation. It was so over the top, and you could tell it was all so false. Yet he felt the need to do it so often. Ouch.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 15, 18 17:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, really sick of ESPN. Where do you guys go to read about sports? Fox sports is all videos. That gets old really quick.
Quote Reply

Prev Next