Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bont shoes
Quote | Reply
What's the collective thoughts on the Bont Vaypor or Riot shoes? I am tempted to try them but they seem to have weird sizing. With the lack of brick-and-mortar stores carrying them, I am reluctant.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bont Vaypor - love them - have done almost 50k KMs in mine in the past 3 years and still going strong - use their sizing guide carefully and you should be fine. I have wide feet and so I struggle with many brands, but Bonts come in wider sizes so suit me well.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Did you use their sizing chart and got the recommended size? I heard a lot of people will go one size up from the recommended size. Also, any idea on the arch support? I have mild supination with a bit high arch. I understand their soles can be heat moulded, so that should help right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just followed their size guide without any manual over-ride, sizing came up perfectly for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny I just ordered some about 2 hours ago -- Vaypor S. I've been mentally struggling with the price for a while but I figured my last pair of road shoes lasted 5 years so in relative terms they're cheaper than tyres are for me!

About the sizing, make sure you measure your feet to the mm. Their sizes are in 5mm increments and the corresponding euro sizes get rounded to best "fit". For example, 280mm, 285mm and 290mm correspond to 44.5, 45, 46 -- so the diff between euro 44.5 and 45 is the same as between 45 and 46. In my old specialized I was a 44.5 but in the Bonts I went with a 46.

The reviews pretty much all agree that they're super good, super stiff and super expensive.

Hope I like them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that when you use their sizing guide it is "exact" so if you want a bit of wiggle room you have to add that in manually yourself. I've always gone up half a size from what their sizing guide suggested and I've been happy. Honestly, I love my Bonts. I have wide feet and they're the only stock shoe I've found that fits. Keep in mind that none of their shoes are truly "in stock". It usually takes ~3 weeks to get shoes from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running the Zero+ for 3 years now myself and they've been incredible. I went a 1/2 size larger then molded them to my feet and made them fit perfectly. The guy I had mold them for me had amazing finesse and he even told me "Bake them for 5-8 minutes and then put them on and do a number of all out sprints while still warm with thin socks". Ever since I did that they've hugged my feet ever so comfortably.

Going on 28K kilometers now and no complaints other than they are too pretty to use in a triathlon for fear of scrapping the outter leather up when hitting the ground.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of the Bont Riot TR shoes last year, because of the wider toe box. It was a horrible experience. I followed their guide to the letter, then because I like a little larger I sized up. They were still way too small (couldn't even fit the foot in the shoe without scrunching the toes). I measured the inside of the shoe and it measured a full 5mm less than what the box even said the shoe should measure. The price they were going to charge me for return shipping, plus them to ship a new pair out to me almost equaled the cost I paid for the shoes originally.

Luckily I found somebody I know that they fit, I was still out some money, and I still have shoes that are too narrow in the toebox, but at least I did not pay 2x the cost of the shoes just to get 1 pair that fit (of course the 2nd pair may not have fit right either if I had gone that route).

I really need a wider toe box shoe, but I cannot see me ever buying something from them again.
Last edited by: tyme: Feb 12, 18 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on my 3rd pair of Bonts and second Vaypor S. I can't imagine what's not to love unless you have jacked up feet. They're even heat moldable though I've never tried it as they fit fine out of the box, even with the bunion I got going on with my starboard hoof.

My concern, and I'm in the US, was the awkward order process this last order I made where I dealt with a German order site and a Chinese rep for an Australian shoe. But it all worked out fine and I had my new kicks within a week so I guess the world really is working together despite what the news shows us of our governments....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
Just followed their size guide without any manual over-ride, sizing came up perfectly for me.
I'm typically a 44 (Shimano, runners), bought some 44 Bont Riot TRs and they were too short on my big toe. Bought on runout so I sold at no loss. Might try a 45... (need some soon after my Pearl Izumis broke the pull strap after only 2 months...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I love my bonts -- I've been through many pairs of cycling shoes and these are my favourite-- all the others gave me numb toes. On the other hand I know of several people who just couldn't get bonts to fit right, so like any other shoe it depends on your own unique feet, you just have to try them. Sorry if that's not helpful but it's the truth. That said if they do fit your feet well, you will LOVE them. That bathtub style sole that surrounds your feet just feels SO stiff and solid -- could never go back to traditional cycling shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will never buy any other shoe other than Bont. Best I’ve ever tried and I’ve had many over the years. I have 3 pairs of road and one pair of the mtb shoes (good being friends with the local rep :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started with the A1s and Sub8 and now using the Vaypor+ and Zero+. Great stiff shoes, wide toe box, low stack, so be ready to make some minor bike fit adjustments. Be patient with the molding process, it always seems to take me a few times to get it right. Bonts are my cycling version of Christian Louboutins. They fit slightly wider than Giro Empires, length about the same, and for Sidi Mega they fit about a half size larger. Those are the only two I can compare against.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love Bont shoes. I have had two sets of Vaypor S and have a set of the new Helix in the post as we speak. I did try a set of Shimano S-Phyre while using Bont but they got sold quick smart as they were no where near as comfortable for me. Check out the Helix if you haven't seen them yet.

https://www.bontcycling.com/products/road/helix/index.html

As for sizing I am 45.5 in Sidi and Shimano and based on their sizing chart after measuring my feet said 46.5 so I ordered accordingly. I always thought are these on the large side but had the opportunity to try a set of 46 later on at the distributors and they were too small so personally I'd order exact to the sizing chart. They have a head mouldable insole but I don't think it would give you that much extra support. I run superfeet blue insoles and its a great fit with plenty of arch support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Bont Riot TR for the past two years for races and the Vaypors for winter riding. I really like them, easy to mold at home and easy to mount my Speedplays. The velcro strap on the TR runs a bit long, on my first pair I cut the strap down, it works but results in having to fit the strap thru the clip in T1, on my second pair I put some velcro with adhesive back on the sole and just wrap the excess around the side to the sole, this has worked perfectly. I used the sizing help from their site-I am a half size different between the TR and the Vaypor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am in the 'weird/inconsistent sizing' camp. I had a pair when they very first came to the UK, and they just about fit. I then ordered 2 pairs of custom - i wanted speedplay specific, a pair of the lace up Zero and a pair of Vaypor in the same size. Zero i could just about squeeze into with no socks, the Vaypors were way too small, and as they were custom ordered, i was screwed. They also took 5 months to arrive. :-(

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a long time wearer of Vaypor+. I can't say enough nice things about their shoes. I am looking at getting either the Vaypor S or the new Helix. How do they compare? Do they fit the same? I originally thought that the Helix was supposed to lighter than the others, but the website has them listed as the same weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only ever worn the Vaypor S and according to postal tracking the helix are 'on the way' so haven't tried them on yet but hopefully here tomorrow so can keep you posted. They are already a light shoe from all accounts but I've never looked at weight, compared to other shoes or Vaypor S to Helix as it is all about the comfort and functionality of the shoe. The Helix have the one dial and the laces tensioning around your foot looks like a revolution in comfort for me and why I am getting a pair but I will let you know...
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So for the 5-8 minute bake, did you leave the cleats on?
What temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 3 years ago but I did leave the cleats on. It was basically the lowest setting on my oven so 180F I believe. This was after the original molding and I have been meaning to edit my post should have read “Thick Socks” not thin ones. It helped insulate my feet from the temperature as well as leaving room for my feet to swell on those epic days in the saddle.

Also, it goes without saying but reference your manual and follow Bont’s suggestions to avoid any mishaps.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
cgrubb wrote:

I'm typically a 44 (Shimano, runners), bought some 44 Bont Riot TRs and they were too short on my big toe. Bought on runout so I sold at no loss. Might try a 45... (need some soon after my Pearl Izumis broke the pull strap after only 2 months...)

Their guide told me 44, but I went 44.5 and had the same problem you did. It was too short in the big toe, and that is not even the longest toe that I measured from.

I think the pair I had may have been a manufacturing defect, since when I measured they were 5mm smaller than they stated, but customer service refused to accept that it was the case. Would have liked them, because I really need a wider toe box (also the yellow matched pretty closely the yellow of my bike), but even with the good things people are saying I just feel like I cannot trust them, since they would not make right an obvious manufacturing issue with the pair I had received.

I also have no place near me to try a pair in person.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read one internet tip which is to measure the insole length of your current shoe and use that as a guide to the proper fit.

I've just ordered some TRs in 45 so I'll let you know how I go.

FWIW I stuck my hoof in a 43 Specialized (whatever their top level tri shoe is called) the other day and it fit perfectly. 50% off, soo tempting, but still over budget...
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Bont helix turned up today (got to love the speed of Australia Post...) and the Vaypor S felt roomy but half a size smaller felt too small. The Helix feel absolutely perfect in the same size and when you close the Boa dial I have never felt a shoe close with such a perfect amount of pressure around the foot. The top pulls tight the harder you wind the dial with the lower area of the shoe pulling firm but not too tight basically perfect tension for how I want a shoe. As for weight well they feel like they weigh nothing. I am more than impressed with these shoes...
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it- I have a pair of Helix on the way.
I like my Vapor S- But I always felt like the upper that just the littlest bit sloppy.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont shoes [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed a little sloppy but these are snug. I couldn't ask for a better fitting shoe. Prepare to be impressed...
Quote Reply

Prev Next