Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?
Do you have plans for Valentine's day?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goals this week - swim 5x and at least 5 km; bike 2x; day off from running
done; biked once; did take a day off from running.

I was very obsessive-compulsive with running last week and ran doubles. Goal this week - don't do that. (Nothing wrong with doubles in general, it's the ocd I'm fighting here).
I am a little overwhelmed and stressed w/ work stuff. I did say no to some things last week and I am proud of myself for that :-) it's busy because it's job interview season so there's just a lot of extra stuff going on.

M: 5 mi run + 925 yd swim + 3.1 mi run
T: 3.3 mi run + 925 yd swim
W: 5.6 mi run + 525 yd swim + 3.1 mi run
T: 4.6 mi run + 625 yd swim
F: 6.6 mi run + 425 yd swim + 3.1 mi run
S: 13 mi bike
S: 8.6 mi run (workout: 3 x 2 mi @ 8:27 to 8:13 pace) + 1675 yd swim

bike ride Sat. was cold but very nice.

goals this week:
5 swims and at least 6000 yds; 2 bike rides; day off from running; do running things that make me faster. (got a good start to today with 6 mi easy)

Tomorrow is way less busy than today so maybe I will feel less overwhelmed and cranky tomorrow.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Womens! Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik and good work saying "no." With your runs, I hope you're able find a balance. If you need other support don't hesitate to reach out.'

I am feeling better, I am off the most miserable of the meds, and my HR is starting to settle. Resting HR is down 30bpm -- Hallelujah!

My goals last week were:
Quote:
swim and bike three times and try to run again after my next appointment.

I swam 4 times (2 ocean, 2 pool), rode 3 times (2 trainer and 1 outside climbing ride -- back to my normal 100+feet for ever mile with only the totally normal heartpounding), ran 3 times (all short and easy), did PT twice, and yoga once.

My runs were okay, rusty and tight, but manageable. I am so relieved to have my HR under control and to be feeling better. I lost a month so I'm going to carefully build back up over the next week or two before throwing down any real speed or mileage. This is by far the fastest recovery I've ever had, I guess I'm still doing something wrong but I must be doing some things right too.

My Valentine's plans are to go back to the dentist -- I've been using my downtime from training to complete a bunch of dental work I'd been avoiding and Wedensday is the last of four(!) visits. I'm very romantic.

This week, I'd like to swim 4 times, ride 3 times, and run 3 times. I also have PT twice and would like to do yoga once.

I've previously mentioned that I have an adventure race abroad at the end of the month, I was started to worry that I'd have to drop out of that too but now I think everything is going to be okay.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Women!

SoCal - So glad to hear you are getting so much better! That is outstanding.

Good week last week. I had been going daily for a while and finally fatigued and took a rest day. Two actually.

Pool Swim x3
Bike x1
Run x1
Billable Hours 61.4

More running and biking ahead for me. Only 64 days left of tax season. Woot!

Rock on women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am super stressed. My dad (who is visiting) collapsed and briefly lost consciousness last night at the dinner table. It took 18 minutes for the ambulance to get to my house and it felt like forever. The hospital found nothing wrong but I didn't really sleep last night because I kept getting up to check that he was still breathing. Today I'm a mess; I'm trying not to focus on what could have been but keep randomly bursting into tears. I think it'll take me a while to calm down.

Before that happened my week had been going pretty well. My goals were: 3 x swim (yes), 3 x bike (yes), 3 x run (NOPE, only 2), strength x 2 (yes), XC ski x 1 (yes, and did my first blue trail). I wasn't too fussed about missing the run because it was the day after the XC ski which had been our longest/hardest session to date. Rest seemed more appropriate.

This week I am travelling Thursday - Sunday and things have already been derailed a little. I'll go with one bike, at least 2 runs (one done), 2 strength sessions and 1 pool and/or stretch cords session.

SoCal - glad to hear things are looking up; that month just flashed by!
Dr TC - good on you for saying NO. No plans for Valentine's Day; Dan is travelling and I have fire practice that evening in any case.
SLO - Rest is good! Hope you feel rejuvenated.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Feb 12, 18 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am feeling better, I am off the most miserable of the meds, and my HR is starting to settle.

Hooray! Do you know what caused the problems?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am super stressed. My dad (who is visiting) collapsed and briefly lost consciousness last night at the dinner table. It took 18 minutes for the ambulance to get to my house and it felt like forever. The hospital found nothing wrong but I didn't really sleep last night because I kept getting up to check that he was still breathing. Today I'm a mess; I'm trying not to focus on what could have been but keep randomly bursting into tears. I think it'll take me a while to calm down.

That is really scary. My fingers are crossed that there truly is nothing wrong. I hope you're able to settle down soon; completely understandable to be so upset!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what exacerbated it this round as nothing in my training really changed. That's one of the things that's so frustrating.

The issue itself is longterm and I've had it since college and it's why I stopped running for so long and the same thing that set me back in 2016. The onset was a combination of injury, over-training, unlucky anatomy, and a neurological response.

I'm in my mid-thirties now and I'd like to think a smarter athlete. I run as little as I can get away with and have worked hard to get stronger and more balanced -- that seems to be extending the healthy stretches (15 months was a PR!) and helps me recover faster. Though this time I also used a new combination of pharmaceuticals this round so I don't discount that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is so scary, Scheherazade. I hope they find out what caused your dad's collapse. I think your tearful reaction is to be expected and accepted.

SLO, I knew you were going to use the tax season as a reason.... Just kidding--I miss your challenge, and I don't stand a chance against MK.

Got further behind in training last week. My sole goal this week is to get caught up on the 100/100. That means 4 (FOUR!) doubles this week.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and I hope you're both able to find an answer and find some comfort.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't know what exacerbated it this round as nothing in my training really changed. That's one of the things that's so frustrating.

The issue itself is longterm and I've had it since college and it's why I stopped running for so long and the same thing that set me back in 2016. The onset was a combination of injury, over-training, unlucky anatomy, and a neurological response.

I'm in my mid-thirties now and I'd like to think a smarter athlete. I run as little as I can get away with and have worked hard to get stronger and more balanced -- that seems to be extending the healthy stretches (15 months was a PR!) and helps me recover faster. Though this time I also used a new combination of pharmaceuticals this round so I don't discount that.

You need a real-life House MD !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade and SoCal, hope you both are able to find some answers soon.

Last week was OK. I started out great doing my PT homework and an easy trainer ride or swim every day. I pretty much got snowed in Friday (work was closed - greatest day ever) so found a couple of barre warmups online from the Royal Ballet Company. I used to dance ballet and pointe so it was fun but it did NOT all come back to me. haha. Then... this weekend I turned into a total slug. I did hang out with friends, run all my errands, and do my food prep, but didn't do a single activity, not even the short version of my PT homework. Ugh.

So, goals for this week are try to get back on schedule, get on the bike trainer every other day, maybe get to the pool, do my PT homework every day I don't have a therapy session, and don't turn into a slug from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. I have no Valentine's Day plans (we observe Ash Wednesday and did our candy and cookie eating yesterday) but my husband did just bring me a Tim Horton's coffee at work so he basically wins Valentine's Day.

Do any of you have any ballet online workouts or videos you like? Not barre class but actual ballet workouts, something that's more like company class at the barre than spins in the studio (which I don't have room for anyway, haha). Thanks!

Hope you all are off to a great week so far.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're getting back after it SoCalTriCurious - I hope you can find some permanent resolution to the issue!

Jeebus Scheherazade, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope it was just a fluke thing and you're able to get some peace of mind about his health.

My week was going great until about 2pm on Sunday. 4hr trail run on Saturday in lots of fresh, still-falling snow was tough but pretty. Finally got out snowboarding for the first time in 5yrs on Sunday afternoon, and was having fun until I bailed hard and tore my right ankle - which is supposed to be the strong one - to frigging shreds.

This week has been a lot of sitting on my arse, soaking my foot in cold water, seeing my amazing osteopath (who was fortunately able to see me Monday evening and made me much more comfortable - I go see him again tomorrow after work), and small victories: tiny ankle circles & toe taps, seated wobble board exercises, being able to stand on one foot long enough to put on my underpants without sitting down. I'm finally ditching the cane today as I can walk normally without pain as long as it's very slow and with short steps - I can also execute a slightly higher-speed hobble pain-free, and even managed a short walk with hubby last night.

Swelling is drastically reduced today and the bruising - which was pretty mild - is subsiding as well. Had almost none of the morning stiffness to which I'd been accustomed when rising today, and my range of motion is probably about 80% back now. My optimistic goal is to be walking completely pain-free by the middle of next week and perhaps try a short run next weekend.

So, I'll just pass the baton to Tri3 for the 100 in 100 and see if I can actually get back up to 30min+ runs before the end of the challenge!

Edited to add: Valentine's plans were to do the belay course at a local climbing gym to introduce my husband to top rope climbing, but that had to be rescheduled due to my idiocy. Instead I made us a Thai feast and we went for a short stroll, which was still pretty pleasant. Belay course is now Sunday, February 25th...assuming I don't eff myself up any further!

Last edited by: mistressk: Feb 15, 18 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope your ankle feels better soon MK. Tri3 - it's all you now for 100/100.

Thank you for all the support ladies. He has been fine since the incident and the ER doc didn't find anything wrong in the tests he ran. He has come away with a recommendation for some Holter monitoring in case there is an arrhythmia. I'm still quite anxious but it is mellowing a little with time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no!!!! MK, I'm so sorry. I was counting on you to make the Womens proud.

I now have such a heavy, heavy burden. I will have to dig deep.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 12 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all you now, Tri3. We're rooting for you!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no, heal fully and quickly mistressk.

Go Tri3 Go!

And thanks for all the support ladies -- I appreciate it.

Quote Reply