Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any vintage Volvo enthusiasts in the LR?
Quote | Reply
I just been offered a 1969 Volvo Amazon 123 GT for a decent price and am thinking about it. The guy is a motivated buyer since he had an unfortunate shop fire and wasn't carrying enough insurance. I've owned a lot of vintage British cars but know nothing about Volvos. Its a unique car as the 123 GT version was the high performance model that had a lot of success in rallying in its day. They only made about 1500 of them compared to about 550,000 or so of the regular Amazons so I'd assume it has potential collector value. The car is actually being stored in my garage for the winter but its sandwiched between two Triumphs and a couple of motorcycles so I can't really get a good look at it until the snow melts.

I've got to do a lot of research on these cars on Volvo forums but might as well start asking here. I wonder about the availability of parts and what the potential problem areas are for these cars. I remember them in the day and always liked the look of them.

IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2llko7q.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Feb 11, 18 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Any vintage Volvo enthusiasts in the LR? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like most old volvo, mechanics are generally Bullitt proof. My biggest concern is parts availability. Unlike day a p1800 where folks are making parts, you could run into issues. There are speciality party's places out there, but at cursory glance I don't know if you could relate a good or brake seal easily.
If you can find most parts from exterior through mechanical through interior then have fun. Should be a fun cruiser

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Any vintage Volvo enthusiasts in the LR? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Like most old volvo, mechanics are generally Bullitt proof. My biggest concern is parts availability. Unlike day a p1800 where folks are making parts, you could run into issues. There are speciality party's places out there, but at cursory glance I don't know if you could relate a good or brake seal easily.
If you can find most parts from exterior through mechanical through interior then have fun. Should be a fun cruiser

That's what I'm so concerned about. Its very easy to find inexpensive aftermarket parts for my Triumphs and other British cars in both the USA and UK but I just don't know about Volvos. If I have to order stuff from Sweden I'm sure it would be expensive. The Amazon is a unibody so the very first thing I will have to inspect is the body. The mechanics are simple. I'm even very familiar with the SU carbs from my Brit car experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a quick look is most parts are overseas, with one guy in Stockholm that has an east coast U.S.warehouse.
To me this would be a labor of love. If you really dig these cats go for it. If not, it will just be a headache.
My weakness would be saab c41, either the 96 or the sonnet. I could live with the pain to play with those. The volvo doesn't punch my ticket.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of late model RWD Volvos.

There is a good bit of Amazon parts out there, especially if it's got a M40 or M41 and a B18 (which it looks like the 123 GT does). B18's were used up to the early 80s.
IPD has over 10 pages of parts for late Amazons ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Any vintage Volvo enthusiasts in the LR? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not be worried about parts, swedish company VP autoparts have all you need, unless it`s some GT specific things (which is not needed to renovate and run the car).
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?guest=yes they also have shipping from US, so pricing should be ok.
If you are considering not to buy it let me know, I would definately be interested in a -69 GT, they are not that easy to find.
Regarding price it`s quite some difference if it is a Swedish / Canadian or Belgium built car, and most important, which GT parts is still there.
The 69 should come with a B20b, dual SU and an M41 type J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for rust in the “outriggers” below the front floor pans, as well as behind the rear wheels. That’s in addition to the bottom of the doors and in the crevasses of that rather complicated nose panel. Some sheetmetal and all mechanical bits and are all available. Great cars!
Last edited by: Per: Feb 12, 18 18:11
Quote Reply