Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony)
Quote | Reply
NBC stepped in it royally during the Winter Olympics opening ceremony with this classic of idiotic historical illiteracy:

As the Japanese delegation paraded into the olympic stadium, reporter Joshua Cooper Ramo noted that Japan’s Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, was also in attendance, “representing Japan, a country which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation.”

Ummmm...Japan's occupation was more a 35-year-long reign of terror than anything else, Josh. You big dummy. Probably every Korean family today has at least one ancestor (some may even still have living family members) who was either killed, enslaved or tortured by the Japanese regime.

Hello? Korean "comfort women" who were forced to work in brothels set up for the pleasure of Japanese enlisted soldiers and officers?

NBC quickly realized their error and issued an apology on Saturday morning:

Host Carolyn Manno said “We understand the Korean people were insulted by these comments and we apologize.”

How about requiring that any TV types working these events at least learn a little about history before they deliver such stunningly bad commentary? Or refrain from trying to show how brilliant they are when it comes to history (and economics, and trade, and the military, and pretty much everything else NOT related to teeth whitening treatments?)

Ramo sounds like the kind of guy who'd be vocally proud of not being able to tell the difference between Japanese and Koreans or Chinese, or "all those other Orientals."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 11, 18 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump would have slammed them for fake news but since it wasn't about him, and the fact that he had no idea there was a mistake, he didn't...
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not surprising NBC made a serious gaffe. They kept injecting political comments into the opening ceremony coverage, apparently oblivious that the Olympics are about athletic competition not politics.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
It's not surprising NBC made a serious gaffe. They kept injecting political comments into the opening ceremony coverage, apparently oblivious that the Olympics are about athletic competition not politics.

They also injected throat clearing and backstage conversations. Apparently they don't know how to mute microphones.

IMO - it was very unprofessional.
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:

Yes, in the perfect world it would be about the competition and if you ask the athletes it would still be about the competition but we don't live in that world. This idiot is an example of that, and the whole Pence/NK freeze out sitting/standing during the ceremony is another. However, I don't know how politics and competition can be separated these days. Maybe the Goodwill games?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what happens when you pay a corrupt sports entity $4.38 billion for broadcast rights. No money left for quality staff.
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Trump would have slammed them for fake news but since it wasn't about him, and the fact that he had no idea there was a mistake, he didn't...

It must be hell having Trump run through your head all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Ramo sounds like the kind of guy who'd be vocally proud of not being able to tell the difference between Japanese and Koreans or Chinese, or "all those other Orientals."

You probably want to read up on who he is and what his background has been. He made a gaff, but he was hired specifically because he has experience in Asia, primarily China.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's nothing. I saw where an adjunct professor was fired because she gave a student an F on a paper where they were suppose to compare a country to the U.S. (I think) in regards to something. The student was failed because she picked Australia and the professor insisted Australia was a continent not a country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is how it’s done in Canada:

https://olympics.cbc.ca/...ks-his-own-language/

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

True enough, that one would have probably gone right over his big, beautiful, luxuriant head of hair. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

You probably want to read up on who he is and what his background has been. He made a gaff, but he was hired specifically because he has experience in Asia, primarily China.

Well then, he needs to give back his salary, shave his head and don a sackcloth and sit in ashes, because he didn't demonstrate even a scintilla of knowledge about Korea and Japan. I have no idea what he knows about China, but he certainly showed he doesn't know shee-ite about two of the other big wheels in Asia.

Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
That's nothing. I saw where an adjunct professor was fired because she gave a student an F on a paper where they were suppose to compare a country to the U.S. (I think) in regards to something. The student was failed because she picked Australia and the professor insisted Australia was a continent not a country.

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
As the Japanese delegation paraded into the olympic stadium, reporter Joshua Cooper Ramo noted that Japan’s Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, was also in attendance, “representing Japan, a country which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation.”

Ummmm...Japan's occupation was more a 35-year-long reign of terror than anything else, Josh. You big dummy. Probably every Korean family today has at least one ancestor (some may even still have living family members) who was either killed, enslaved or tortured by the Japanese regime.

Hello? Korean "comfort women" who were forced to work in brothels set up for the pleasure of Japanese enlisted soldiers and officers?
The NBC commentator made a gaffe (or maybe he really is clueless.)

But while you (and I) know something about the history between Japan and Korea, I'd be surprised if very many Americans could have identified what all the fuss was about.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katie Couric also became the joke of the Dutch after she said during the opening ceremony how ice skating is a major mode of transportation in Amsterdam on the canals in winter...
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Katie Couric also became the joke of the Dutch after she said during the opening ceremony how ice skating is a major mode of transportation in Amsterdam on the canals in winter...

That had me laughing out loud when she said it

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are you trying to say that South Korea didn’t model their economic success after Japans?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re a tool.
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
So are you trying to say that South Korea didn’t model their economic success after Japans?

Except that's not what he said. He said: "representing Japan, a country which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation.”

First, the "culture" Japan imparted on Korea was rape, torture, and oppression. Second, the "transformation" Japan had on Korea was to break it into two countries that went to war. Third, "every Korean" would not agree as North Korea does not share anything in common with modern Japan in terms of culture, technology, and/or economics. Fourth, Japan is largely responsible for the oppressive government in North Korea.

It was a gaff and I would not crucify him the way he is being, but, it was a cringe-worthy statement and, when he said it, I looked at the wifey and said, "holy shit, that won't sit well ..."

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

What an ignorant statement. That's like saying everyone in Canada fucks moose when, in reality, the number of Canadians who fuck moose is merely a blep on the radar.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Benv wrote:

What an ignorant statement. That's like saying everyone in Canada fucks moose when, in reality, the number of Canadians who fuck moose is merely a blep on the radar.

She probably had an LSD-driven flashback to the days when she served as the model for a female character in a Hans Christian Andersen story, she's that old and doddering. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Except that's not what he said. He said: "representing Japan, a country which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation.”

First, the "culture" Japan imparted on Korea was rape, torture, and oppression. Second, the "transformation" Japan had on Korea was to break it into two countries that went to war. Third, "every Korean" would not agree as North Korea does not share anything in common with modern Japan in terms of culture, technology, and/or economics. Fourth, Japan is largely responsible for the oppressive government in North Korea.

It was a gaff and I would not crucify him the way he is being, but, it was a cringe-worthy statement and, when he said it, I looked at the wifey and said, "holy shit, that won't sit well ..."

Yeah, 🇰🇷 followed the technological example set by 🇯🇵 .

And rape, pillage and plunder blah blah blah.

Quote Reply
Re: TV Journalists are Illiterates and Idiots (NBC Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for the North Koreans, they only think what their dear leader tells them to think.

And one could argue that the North followed in japans more brutal footsteps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next