Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any landlords up in the LR?
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have a rental property (dammit).
Condo I wish we had sold, but she insisted we hang onto it.
We pay a realtor to 'manage' it since we live about 1.5hrs away.
Realtor contacted us today, fridge died. No worries, I'll get on the phone and schedule delivery of a new fridge. It's the weekend, so might be a few days. I offered to deliver a working mini-fridge, same day.

Now realtor says tenant claims he has $500 worth of food in fridge (yea right). And wants to be put up in a hotel (yea right). And might hold back $500 from next month's rent (yea right).

My take on things: any spoilt food (gold leaf ice cream?) is a renters insurance claim...
Alternate housing? this guy can go screw...
If he withholds rent?, it'll come out of his security deposit on the back end...
What say the LR?
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree on all of the above except you should just make the property manager also be in charge of the fridge. that said, i probably wouldn't complain about giving my tenant a $250 credit about the food. no way would i pay for a hotel room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how long he's been a tenant, some are pretty easy going at least reasonable. Just like you've done I try to replace or fix the tenants issue as soon as possible.
I've put tenants up in hotel rooms when the A\C has gone out, water heater, and severe plumbing issues.
I would give him some options 1) renters insurance claim, 2) show you $500 in grocery receipts dated in the recent weeks.

Not sure why he would stay in a hotel since they don't have food in their fridges-?
If he withholds rent your contract may enable you (or force you) to end the lease due to non payment. This way he can't take advantage of you in the future....time to play hardball?

Approach it with a win win scenario in mind, he may have some Rx requiring refrigeration or had bought lobster tails and filet mignone that is with $500.
Ps. Document everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was a tenant and the fridge went out, I wouldn't expect reimbursement for food unless the landlord took a long time to replace the fridge. Now, it would be one thing if they've been asking you to replace the fridge because it was giving troubles. But if it went out suddenly, I wouldn't expect a thing.

IMO - your only responsibility is to replace the fridge as soon as possible. If they are demanding those things, then I would seriously consider raising the rent price when the lease expires. They aren't the kind of people I would want renting from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say tenants suck.

I am in the almost exact same situation as you, involuntary landlord of a condo.

When the fridge died I used it as an excuse to put a bigger, better fridge in my house. Delivered my fridge the same day, picked up the new fridge for my house on the way home.

I get much more frustrated when someone complains about spiders in the place. I've been told 6 equals an 'infestation' and requires an exterminator. I told them to buy some raid and step on them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they don't pay the full rent, you can deduct it from their security deposit.
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
If I was a tenant and the fridge went out, I wouldn't expect reimbursement.
Same thing I told my wife -- I wouldn't even think to ask. That's what renters insurance is for. Then again, I'm not a whining weasel.

The fridge just died suddenly.
The realtor, kinda weird... She seems to side with the tenants. She told us 'bad meat is a health hazard' and if we have any questions, we should consult our attorney.
We pay her a monthly management fee, which is free money if nothing goes wrong.
Fridge dies and she tells us 'contact your attorney'. Kinda comical.

This is our 2nd tenant, seems an a-hole. We made an exception for him, to allow pet (large chocolate lab). Guaranteed, our property is one hairy furry slobbery mess by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reminding me why I got out of rental properties and being a landlord.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell them you will reimburse losses but you need receipts, so you can claim it (on your taxes or with your insurances / whichever way you want to spin it)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Realtor contacted us today, fridge died. No worries, I'll get on the phone and schedule delivery of a new fridge. It's the weekend, so might be a few days. I offered to deliver a working mini-fridge, same day.

Now realtor says tenant claims he has $500 worth of food in fridge (yea right). And wants to be put up in a hotel (yea right). And might hold back $500 from next month's rent (yea right).

My take on things: any spoilt food (gold leaf ice cream?) is a renters insurance claim...
If he withholds rent?, it'll come out of his security deposit on the back end...
What say the LR?

Only things that matter...

What does your lease say?

What do your local/state laws say?

No feddy laws about that stuff. I’d tell him to eff himself and term his lease at the first chance. If a tenant took me to court over this (would never happen...generally entitled folks like the one you’re describing are both too lazy and too dumb to file anything) a judge would almost always side with the reasonable party. So be reasonable. Buy a new fridge and have it delivered as soon as is reasonable.

Entitled tenants suck. Get rid of em ASAP.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The property manager may suck too. This kind of unreasonableness is why you have one. And the good ones handle it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Entitled tenants suck. Get rid of em ASAP.
Think you hit the nail on the head. This dude seems entitled.
In fairness to the realtor, she's out of state up on a ski mountain this weekend, so has been very responsive, all things considered.
She did tell us we can give 90 days notice if we're not going to re-up the lease, and can also float the idea that if he's unhappy we'll let him out of the lease early. But mentioned the few times she's entered the unit, the guy is a slob so good luck showing the unit while it's occupied.
She also said he's currently unreachable and not responding to my offer of a mini-fridge, so for all I know he's shacked up at the Ritz tonight, ordering room service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends

A difficult tenant can cause more damage than their security deposit

Food in fridge will be good for 12-24 hours if you don't keep opening the door

I'd ask for photos of the fridge contents

I'd get a fridge in their asap

I'd offer a goodwill gesture of 100

I've had tenants steal pur shit from one place. Another set destroy a 15k dollar floor, been sued and has another apartment burnt down all in last 2 years

Irrespective if what your contract says being on good terms can save you money.

I got sued. The cost of which in responding to it was just the same as the amount they claimed but were not entitled to. It does not matter what the contract says unless you're willing to assume the costs of proving it and even if you were to win, I do not believe you can claim legal costs in small claims

I'd you want the tenant out eventually and your place left in good condition there is some argument for a gesture - not a 500 dollar gesture or hotel room. Loss of heating or flood maybe but not a broken fridge.
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Depends

A difficult tenant can cause more damage than their security deposit

Food in fridge will be good for 12-24 hours if you don't keep opening the door

I'd ask for photos of the fridge contents

I'd get a fridge in their asap

I'd offer a goodwill gesture of 100

I've had tenants steal pur shit from one place. Another set destroy a 15k dollar floor, been sued and has another apartment burnt down all in last 2 years

Irrespective if what your contract says being on good terms can save you money.

I got sued. The cost of which in responding to it was just the same as the amount they claimed but were not entitled to. It does not matter what the contract says unless you're willing to assume the costs of proving it and even if you were to win, I do not believe you can claim legal costs in small claims

I'd you want the tenant out eventually and your place left in good condition there is some argument for a gesture - not a 500 dollar gesture or hotel room. Loss of heating or flood maybe but not a broken fridge.

First...sorry to hear all that. Horrible tenants don't just cause monetary damages but it eats at you. Believe me I know. It's one of the reasons that I have zero confidence in our species going forward. We're truly horrible beings.

Anyways, out of curiosity, what did you get sued for? Don't you live in Europe or something? Are your tenants also in Europe? As I understand it, tenants rights in the Great Country of Europe are pretty iron-clad.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK and in short because I was trying to be helpful and f&&ked up by agreeing something not in writing.

In the end though I felt good that whilst it cost me an extra couple of grand because the tenants used a solicitor they never saw any of the money because what we agreed to settle for was probably just about what they'd incurred in legal advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:

What say the LR?

Tenants have rights to what's called "quiet enjoyment" and any specific health, living and safety requirements required by law as well as those explicitly stated in the lease, and that's about it (these are usually called "implied warranty of habitability"). All of what you described -- outside of the refrigerator (which I'm assuming was included with the condo and is part of the monthly rent) -- is what renter's insurance exists for.

My dad and I own 10 rental homes. We deal with this stuff on occasion (and they're all in Detroit, so you can imagine how squirrelly that can get ;-). Don't fold on this kind of thing or it'll get worse in the future. If the tenant wants to be a real noodge about that $500, haul him into small claims court, or even institute eviction proceedings (both are a bit extreme, but they're there) for failure to abide by lease terms. At minimum, you might not have to renew his lease if he keeps that up.

I wrote this article for the San Francisco Chronicle about whether landlords can refuse to renew leases without cause. It might give you some ammo. This article is about just who's responsible for repairs, tenants or landlords. I'm sure you already know you have a responsibility to fix or replace the fridge. Refer the tenant to his renter's insurance policy when it comes to his supposed $500 worth of food. You did require him, as part of his lease, to attain and maintain a renter's insurance policy, right? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landlord here, I would replace the refrigerator as soon as possible and let them know renters insurance covers the food. If they replied that they do not have renters insurance "Bummer! It's not very expensive you should look into it like we discussed when you signed the lease." If the tenant was cool I would give them a $100 gift card to the grocery store for the inconvenience, but I'm not covering $500 in lost food or paying for a hotel.

I would take it out of their security deposit but I wouldn't press the issue too hard because you want them thinking, and more importantly acting, as though they are getting their full deposit back.

Any reason you're using a realtor and not a property management company?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
If I was a tenant and the fridge went out, I wouldn't expect reimbursement.

Same thing I told my wife -- I wouldn't even think to ask. That's what renters insurance is for. Then again, I'm not a whining weasel.

The fridge just died suddenly.
The realtor, kinda weird... She seems to side with the tenants. She told us 'bad meat is a health hazard' and if we have any questions, we should consult our attorney.
We pay her a monthly management fee, which is free money if nothing goes wrong.
Fridge dies and she tells us 'contact your attorney'. Kinda comical.

This is our 2nd tenant, seems an a-hole. We made an exception for him, to allow pet (large chocolate lab). Guaranteed, our property is one hairy furry slobbery mess by now.

You have a realtor who is helping find a tenant. She is not managing the property at all and I would not give her another dime. Fire her immediately. Cover your legal obligation and if the tenant doesn't like it tell him he can exit the lease early.
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
spookini wrote:

What say the LR?

Tenants have rights to what's called "quiet enjoyment" and any specific health, living and safety requirements required by law as well as those explicitly stated in the lease, and that's about it (these are usually called "implied warranty of habitability"). All of what you described -- outside of the refrigerator (which I'm assuming was included with the condo and is part of the monthly rent) -- is what renter's insurance exists for.

My dad and I own 10 rental homes. We deal with this stuff on occasion (and they're all in Detroit, so you can imagine how squirrelly that can get ;-). Don't fold on this kind of thing or it'll get worse in the future. If the tenant wants to be a real noodge about that $500, haul him into small claims court, or even institute eviction proceedings (both are a bit extreme, but they're there) for failure to abide by lease terms. At minimum, you might not have to renew his lease if he keeps that up.

I wrote this article for the San Francisco Chronicle about whether landlords can refuse to renew leases without cause. It might give you some ammo. This article is about just who's responsible for repairs, tenants or landlords. I'm sure you already know you have a responsibility to fix or replace the fridge. Refer the tenant to his renter's insurance policy when it comes to his supposed $500 worth of food. You did require him, as part of his lease, to attain and maintain a renter's insurance policy, right? ;-)

Man, you guys have it easy. Here, tenants rights are very over reaching. A tenant can stop paying rent and legally could take months and months to evict them. It's scary. Not only that, you are now not allowed fixed term leases, and rent is now tied to the unit, not the tenant. So, if a tenant moves out, you can only raise the rent on your next tenant by 4%.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
spookini wrote:

What say the LR?

Man, you guys have it easy. Here, tenants rights are very over reaching. A tenant can stop paying rent and legally could take months and months to evict them. It's scary. Not only that, you are now not allowed fixed term leases, and rent is now tied to the unit, not the tenant. So, if a tenant moves out, you can only raise the rent on your next tenant by 4%.

Is that BC or just some effed up Victoria by law?

In the interior here you are correct, existing leases are inflation plus 2% but when they leave you can Reno (or not) and go to market.

Having said that I got all out in 2010 (after cap rates went from 8.5% to 4 or so), so I could be wrong or things may have changed.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
spookini wrote:

What say the LR?

We mostly only rent to HUD Section 8 eligibles, because we know we're guaranteed to get paid and the tenants behave themselves. Mostly. Because they don't want to risk losing their Section 8. We weren't always that way, but my dad got hosed on a few tenants who moved in and then simply stopped paying, and it took us 6 months to get them out. They did that regularly to landlords in the area. So we were forced to turn into veritable raging a-holes when folks chose not to play nice with us. It's sad. Eh, like the pimp game, you almost can't have a conscience in the landlord game around these parts, I guess. ;-)

There are times when we go to take care of maintenance things, per federal requirements, that I make sure everyone sees I'm open carrying. I don't want trouble down in some of those neighborhoods, and I'm not about to take any trouble, if you know what I mean.

My father is getting up in the years, and when he decides to get out of the game I'm dumping all that because I just don't want the aggravation anymore.

Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
spookini wrote:

What say the LR?

Is that BC or just some effed up Victoria by law?

In the interior here you are correct, existing leases are inflation plus 2% but when they leave you can Reno (or not) and go to market.

Having said that I got all out in 2010 (after cap rates went from 8.5% to 4 or so), so I could be wrong or things may have changed.

Maurice

It's BC wide, and it's retroactive, so, if you signed a lease, then the law changed, that lease is now essentially meaningless. It's nuts.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Any landlords up in the LR? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just got more interesting.
Asked the realtor to enter unit to verify fridge opening dimensions, and she was told any entry would be treated as unlawful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Asked the realtor to enter unit to verify fridge opening dimensions, and she was told any entry would be treated as unlawful.

I don't know the specific tenancy laws where you live but, generally, you can enter once you've given prior notice and sufficient warning of your intent. As the landlord, you're allowed to do this for a wide variety of reasons, including for exactly what you want and need to do as regards the refrigerator. As tenants, they have no ownership rights, though they do have a right to quiet enjoyment of the premises, but that's a very frangible and limited right, for all that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:

He sounds really fun !

Are you stuck driving out to see the condo now ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next