Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower)
Quote | Reply
Recall we had this discussion several months back about what is and what isn't "premium mediocre" these days.

My sister -- who I just did a very, very big solid for -- announced she was treated the wife and I to "someplace nice to eat" and then stated Red Lobster. Me being filled with tact and diplomacy, the words "premium mediocre" immediately issued forth from my gaping maw. At which point my sister rolled her eyes and stomped off, muttering something about "know-it-all-a$$holes" under her breath. ;-)

So: Premium mediocre or not? Or is it less even than that? LOL!

(disclosure: After multiple decades in the naval service of our country, and spending more time IN the ocean than is healthy, I can't even stand the smell of seafood... or the sea, even. So how do I get out of this one? Hahahahaha!)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you need to provide your sister with a stool sample?
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be a stretch to bestow the title of "premium" anything to Red Lobster.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends where you are in the country, if you are on the coast in a generally upper scale - clear not. If middle of xxxxxx where it is the only seafood and everything is just chains, then it can be a step up.

Would you ever call the cooks in Red Lobster a "chef" that pretty much answers the question.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Why did you need to provide your sister with a stool sample?

Hahahahahaha! She always complains that I'm giving her sh*t, for a fact. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [keepriding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepriding wrote:
Depends where you are in the country, if you are on the coast in a generally upper scale - clear not. If middle of xxxxxx where it is the only seafood and everything is just chains, then it can be a step up.

Would you ever call the cooks in Red Lobster a "chef" that pretty much answers the question.

Oh, we're flat in the middle of Flyover Country and that place is about the only notable seafood joint around, except for a few small establishments near the Detroit River. ;-)

And you're right about the chef thing. Most them at Red Lobster would probably answer to something like "Prisoner 297351!" Hahahaha!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's put it this way. If I had customers in town I am sure they would be quite disappointed if I took them to Red Lobster. I might take them to Panera, but not Red Lobster.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Let's put it this way. If I had customers in town I am sure they would be quite disappointed if I took them to Red Lobster. I might take them to Panera, but not Red Lobster.

Sooooo... that's a maybe? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sound like your tact wasn't effective for the sister, one other approach would have been to say thank you and tell her you can't do seafood and suggest somewhere else. I've found family and friends take us to their favorite restaurants and I don't always like the food. It's the gesture of them trying to do something nice that matters, heck if they are in a financial hardship I'll ask for my favorite, pepperoni and jalapeño pizza (Chicago style).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe premium mediocre for a restaurant but doesn't even rank that for a seafood joint.

I still have a gift card lying around somewhere from 3 years ago for red lobster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure this is about Red Lobster, maybe more of you just being rude? Who cares what level the restaurant is that she offered to take you to (unless she is loaded and Joe Muer is her everday affair) be thankful.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Casual lunch. Ms. Tostig and I sometimes meet at Red Lobster. Certainly meets expectations.

"Nice" dinner. Plenty of other places to try, but it meets the Premium Mediocre expectation.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literally as I was reading your post a Red Lobster commercial came on. If their food looked liked the commercial it would be above premium mediocre. As it is I think it may be premium crappy.

High price, food is edible but nothing anyone ever craves.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I think it would be a stretch to bestow the title of "premium" anything to Red Lobster.

+1

Red Lobster is to "premium" mediocre seafood as Olive Garden is to "premium" mediocre italian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago, Mrs. MOP and I were watching a PBS documentary on some impoverished, rust-belt town during hard times and one of the interviewees said something to the effect of "We have a Red Lobster. What more could you want?" In her mind, it clearly set the bar for fine dining and living -- anything better was just overly-expensive pretentiousness.

It's become a standing inside joke for us ever since. Trying to choose a restaurant? "There's a Red Lobster. What more could you want?" Traveling through someplace our eloquent leader might describe in colorfully disparaging terms? "Oh, I dunno. It's not so bad. Look, there's a Red Lobster. What more could you want?" Or, "Wow, this place *really* sucks -- it doesn't even have a Red Lobster."

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose she wouldn't find this funny yet.

Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

+1

Red Lobster is to "premium" mediocre seafood as Olive Garden is to "premium" mediocre italian

I see Red Lobster as the Swiss Chalet of seafood. And I would take the Olive Garden over either of them.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red Lobster reminds me of this classic Simpsons scene:

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

+1

I see Red Lobster as the Swiss Chalet of seafood. And I would take the Olive Garden over either of them.

Our American friends don’t know what Swiss Chalet is.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA holds his annual general meetings there, ask him.

Me personally, I would say it is far less than premium mediocre.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Chri55 wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

+1

I guess it is a uniquely Canadian experience.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Red Lobster twice - it was garbage both times. I've never been to a restaurant that cooks lobster properly.

I also live a 10 min drive from a wharf where fisherman land their catches (best lobster in the world) and can buy them directly from them for cheap so maybe my view is slightly biased. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Chri55 wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

+1

This,

And Swiss chalet sucks.

St Hubert is 10x better.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ruling on Red Lobster? Premium Mediocre or Not? (Or Something Lower) [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Not sure this is about Red Lobster, maybe more of you just being rude? Who cares what level the restaurant is that she offered to take you to (unless she is loaded and Joe Muer is her everday affair) be thankful.

Three things:

1. You don't know my sister. ;-)

2. This is a tag-on to the premium mediocre thread we had a few months ago.

3. Don't be such a scold. It don't look good on you. LOL!

Quote Reply

Prev Next