Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k
Quote | Reply
Pretty impressive return to racing for Gwen today at the Husky 5k. Second place by 0.12 to Emily Infeld and in 15:15. Not too bad. I think she may be on the “real” runners radar now.

https://static.gohuskies.com/...20918/180209F003.htm

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Feb 9, 18 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is absolutely smokin. that pencils to a 31:30 10k, which is about 40 or 45 seconds faster than she's ever run i think for a 10k. besides the fact that emily infield is, with molly huddle and 2 or 3 others, about the best there is american running for 5k.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, totally legit. I was going to say as well that Infeld is top notch. I would be curious to her training leading to this result as a potential gauge to what upside is there. I am guessing that Infeld is likely not in top form right now, but the time speaks for itself. Wishing her well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Pretty impressive return to racing for Gwen today at the Husky 5k. Second place by 0.12 to Emily Infeld and in 15:15. Not too bad. I think she may be on the “real” runners radar now.

https://static.gohuskies.com/...20918/180209F003.htm
My boss ran varsity XC for SUU (just preceding Cam Levins) and watched the race. Went from thinking she would fail miserably in her Olympic attempt to gushing in a 24 hour span.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive indeed. Count me as one of those who was skeptical she could compete at the pointy end, but this was quite the start.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I pulled up the 2016 trials results from the 5 k and she is already there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The postpartum effect is real.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 month’s after giving birth!!!!

As of last night, I hadn’t seen a doubt of skepticism over Gwen’s Olympic chances over at LRC.... heck, now folks are talking about her chances at nationals on the track in addition to the marathon in Tokyo. I think that indoor 5,000m time comes out to a 2:29 marathon. ... 6 month’s after child birth, and it’s worth noting that she was very open about how tough Stanley’s birth was on her body and how slow she was in getting back into training.

Also, Infield just missed a couple of weeks due to injury and then won XC nat’s last week and then last night’s husky 5,000... also impressive

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love the all black kit she is wearing...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of last night, I hadn’t seen a doubt of skepticism over Gwen’s Olympic chances over at LRC.... heck, now folks are talking about her chances at nationals on the track in addition to the marathon in Tokyo. I think that indoor 5,000m time comes out to a 2:29 marathon.//

I'm not exactly sure why there were so many skeptics here in our world, I was about 99% confident that she would get to the front of her races in the first year back. I think maybe some people just look at one particular race's time without any context to it, and then extrapolate her entire running career from that one point.

I prefer to extrapolate from her years and body of work taken into totality, which clearly shows that she was/is a world class runner trapped into the sport of triathlon. And lets all keep in mind that this race is early in the season, early in her comeback, and probably not the best distance for her overall. My guess is that she will excel the longer the race is compared to her competition. This early speed and tenacity to be in sprint for the win is a very good sign of things to come. GO Gwen!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couldn't agree more.

I can't wait to see her in a 10,000m outdoors, and in a competitive half marathon. But, the speed showed in the 5,000m indoor race is what's needed for the always-strategic Olympic marathon that will depend upon an ability to surge constantly.

Her focus and drive is inspiring.... maybe I'll get offline and do a workout, and some school work....

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there video somewhere of the race?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two things i wonder. is she still thinking marathon? because, after this, i don't know that i would be. and second, USATF announced its team for the half-marathon WC yesterday. i think they should've waited a day.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen, man, frickin’ Gwen...

Maybe https://www.flotrack.org/...;coverage_id=6050685 show some?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe on flotrack pro but I haven’t come across a free video yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen’s prerace interview here:

https://www.flotrack.org/...k-race-in-nine-years

As Gwen Jorgensen prepares for tonight's 5K at the Husky Classic, the Rio Olympic triathlon champion can barely remember the last time she raced on the track.

"My PR on the track is 15:50 something and that's from..."

2009, I remind her. And it's 15:52.19, to be exact.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She’s apparently still cross training a lot and swimming or cycling every day as she can’t handle the mileage yet. Currently doing 80mpw but going towards 100-120.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also interesting that she was runners bc without a sponsor for this race. She’s a “free agent” at the moment but I’d expect her to sign with Nike soon.

I can’t tell what her unmarked race flats are butnin sure someone can identify them.

Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great debut for Gwen. Very exciting. I watched it over on Flotrack. She is what got me to fork over the doe for there monthly subscription.
Hey maybe I missed this buy why is she without a contract? Is she just being picky, too expensive? I'm not knowledgeable about these things at all and just wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race today likely didn’t hurt her value, that’s for sure. Maybe very smart to wait and get a result like this.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen’s first race back - Husky 5k [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey maybe I missed this buy why is she without a contract? Is she just being picky, too expensive? I'm not knowledgeable about these things at all and just wondering. //

She probably is just waiting for a couple good results and then go for a big endemic sponsor like a Nike. In running there are these teams and groups, so perhaps it will be her intention to land one of those. Right now she is just running self coached pretty much. And I dont think this last race went that well for her either, think she got behind at the beginning and played catch up somewhat. If she gets with the right group/coach she is going to devastate a lot of those women that looked at her like an oddity from another world..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I thought the race went about as good as possible. I thought she moved up pretty easily through the field.
She is amazing. I was not expecting her to do this well after having a baby just 6 months ago and not with a team or coach.
I wish her well and am looking forward to following her progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t she sponsored by asic’s?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's been training with the Bowerman group...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a video recap I did with her. Stay tuned we have been filming a-lot of content for you guys.
Quote Reply

Prev Next