Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Index Smart scale issues
Quote | Reply
I got a Garmin Index Smart wi-fi scale, basically because my Garmin GPS watch, and associated use of Garmin Connect, makes me fairly embedded in the Garmin universe. Auto-logging my weight via wi-fi is a great feature. The other data the scale collects--stuff like fat percentage, water percentage, bone mass--fluctuates enough that it doesn't seem all that useful, but that doesn't surprise or overly concern me. But the scale has a minor and major quirk that do concern me, especially the latter.

The minor quirk is that when I want to use it, I tap it with my toe to turn it on. With nothing on the scale, usually it will display some weight of less than 1 pound, instead of zero, in which case I wait until it goes blank and tap it again, and the second time it usually displays zero. This "calibration" I have to do most mornings seems a bit odd, but I can live with it.

The more major quirk is that when I step on the scale, maybe a third of the time, it displays a weight that I know is five to ten pounds too low, e.g. 152-157 instead of the correct ~162 lbs. If I see this, then I reweigh myself, and the second time, it is almost always accurate.

The scale is on a solid, linoleum floor, and not touching a wall or bathmat or anything else that might interfere with its performance.

I emailed Garmin, their response seems to be slower than I've gotten when I've emailed in the past about my Garmin GPS watch. I'm just curious if others have had similar experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
I got a Garmin Index Smart wi-fi scale, basically because my Garmin GPS watch, and associated use of Garmin Connect, makes me fairly embedded in the Garmin universe. Auto-logging my weight via wi-fi is a great feature. The other data the scale collects--stuff like fat percentage, water percentage, bone mass--fluctuates enough that it doesn't seem all that useful, but that doesn't surprise or overly concern me. But the scale has a minor and major quirk that do concern me, especially the latter.

The minor quirk is that when I want to use it, I tap it with my toe to turn it on. With nothing on the scale, usually it will display some weight of less than 1 pound, instead of zero, in which case I wait until it goes blank and tap it again, and the second time it usually displays zero. This "calibration" I have to do most mornings seems a bit odd, but I can live with it.

The more major quirk is that when I step on the scale, maybe a third of the time, it displays a weight that I know is five to ten pounds too low, e.g. 152-157 instead of the correct ~162 lbs. If I see this, then I reweigh myself, and the second time, it is almost always accurate.

The scale is on a solid, linoleum floor, and not touching a wall or bathmat or anything else that might interfere with its performance.

I emailed Garmin, their response seems to be slower than I've gotten when I've emailed in the past about my Garmin GPS watch. I'm just curious if others have had similar experiences.

I have had similar issues. Shows .01 and I have to tap it several times to zero it out. Then sometimes the first weight will be off - generally too low.

Not thrilled with the product.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's interesting about mine is how consistent it is. When I first tap it to turn it on, it almost always shows .1-.4 lbs instead of zero. On second tap, it almost always shows zero, on rare occasions I have to "calibrate" it a third time. And once I step on, it's either correct or usually 5 lbs low. So I can make it work, but I wish it just worked properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

Every day for a couple years now. My routine is to wake up, go in the bathroom, tap it on, pee, then tap it on the second time and step on (and pray that I've lost weight). Why? The problem is that it is touching air (at least that is my theory).

niccolo wrote:

This seems odd. Mine is spot on every time.

My big complaint is that my husband will get on it and it will think it is me (we weigh almost the same) and then his data overwrites mine in Garmin Connect. I keep telling hubby to tap through the names, but he doesn't. That is probably a marital issue though.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Every day for a couple years now. My routine is to wake up, go in the bathroom, tap it on, pee, then tap it on the second time and step on (and pray that I've lost weight). Why? The problem is that it is touching air (at least that is my theory).

niccolo wrote:

This seems odd. Mine is spot on every time.

My big complaint is that my husband will get on it and it will think it is me (we weigh almost the same) and then his data overwrites mine in Garmin Connect. I keep telling hubby to tap through the names, but he doesn't. That is probably a marital issue though.

Ha.

I've been meaning to program the name function for a while, because it would be nice to be able to weigh myself midday occasionally (for example to track water loss during a workout), without having that override the morning weight I like to log in Garmin Connect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
What's interesting about mine is how consistent it is. When I first tap it to turn it on, it almost always shows .1-.4 lbs instead of zero. On second tap, it almost always shows zero, on rare occasions I have to "calibrate" it a third time. And once I step on, it's either correct or usually 5 lbs low. So I can make it work, but I wish it just worked properly.

I've got two scale's, one's the Garmin & almost always lights up with .1-.4 lb.

Both get a tap-zero, then I hop on the Garmin followed by the old one.

They're almost always 0.7lb different, a few times a year there's a far bigger gap & it's the Garmin that'll change when I re-weigh. But it's rare enough that I'm not massively bothered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even believe Garmin made this - how else to explain how utterly, utterly wank their customer service is.

I had one of these. It's currently collecting dust. It was difficult to setup with the WiFi, then worked okay for a while. Now it's suddenly stopped connecting to the WiFi.

Garmin's forum is littered with the crushed soles of Index Smart Scale owners, unable to believe such a steaming turd was released to the market with apparently no one at Garmin aware of it or how to resolve issues with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When i turn mine on, it first goes to .1, then i have to tap it again and then it goes to .0. After it weighs me, it consistently adds .7 to what it settled on. Anyone else seeing the extra being added on.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
After it weighs me, it consistently adds .7 to what it settled on.

That is the weight of air pushing you down. See? Air theory holds.

I'm going to pay attention to the .7 add-on. It does seem to pause just before the final number. I've never paid enough attention to what it does (maybe because I'm really wishing it would go down).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine is quirky in a un-fun way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using mine for over a year with no issues. No questionable fluctuations in measurements ever. Never tap the scale to turn it on, tap my foot on the floor next to the scale and it comes on always reading zero.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [2lazy2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2lazy2tri wrote:
Been using mine for over a year with no issues. No questionable fluctuations in measurements ever. Never tap the scale to turn it on, tap my foot on the floor next to the scale and it comes on always reading zero.

This how mine works, and it's one of the early, maybe first, versions. It comes on when I walk in the bathroom near it. Sits on a porcelain tile floor. The only issue is it looses its wifi connection once in a while. It still does it's thing flawlessly, it just won't upload. Always resets if I pull the batteries.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Index Smart scale issues [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone having issues where the other data is not syncing? I'm only receiving weight and BMI since I moved in the last month.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply