Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...?
Quote | Reply
I've been sick of winter and snow since Christmas Eve back in December. Today ain't making my mood any better. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The snow is beautiful. You are so lucky to have it. :)

I was in central Florida yesterday where it was sunny and 80 degrees. It was awful.
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it sounds like we are getting more on Friday bk, at least in the Ann Arbor area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
The snow is beautiful. You are so lucky to have it. :)

I was in central Florida yesterday where it was sunny and 80 degrees. It was awful.

I feel your pain, big daddy. Or, I'm going to give you some pain. I haven't decided which. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:

A good camembert, if you please. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had 6 hours of snow on Christmas Eve and that's it. Sometimes.we get a dusting in early spring as well.

We did have something like 240mm of rain to deal with in January, so, there is that.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgoehner wrote:
And it sounds like we are getting more on Friday bk, at least in the Ann Arbor area.

Oh, for sure. We're already into the deepest recesses of our full-on snow removal plan at the airport this week. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
We had 6 hours of snow on Christmas Eve and that's it. Sometimes.we get a dusting in early spring as well.

We did have something like 240mm of rain to deal with in January, so, there is that.

240mm is like $1.25 in US currency, right? Less than the cost of a cup of coffee, so I don't know what you're complaining about.
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

What's the suicide rate in the winter like out there? Anything like Seattle's? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take that over the freezing rain we seem to be getting more of this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send that shit our way. I'm at the foothills of the Rockies and we ain't got shit. Snow pack in the high country is well above average, but down here it's dry as hell.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

240mm is like $1.25 in US currency, right? Less than the cost of a cup of coffee, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Something like that. First I usually convert the mm to degrees Fahrenheit, carry the one, then divide by 2.6 miles to get dollars. American ones.

Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
I'd take that over the freezing rain we seem to be getting more of this winter.

True that. At least with our stuff, you can make a snow cave out of it and survive if you're caught out in it. That freezing rain saps your will to live.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
wimsey wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Something like that. First I usually convert the mm to degrees Fahrenheit, carry the one, then divide by 2.6 miles to get dollars. American ones.

I was promised there wouldn't be any math on this exam! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

What's the suicide rate in the winter like out there? Anything like Seattle's? ;-)

Not bad in Victoria. It's awesome here.

Up island in places like Tofino they can get 100mm of rain in one day during the winter. Further up the coast it's even more dreary, and infinitely more desolate as well. I almost felt like killing myself just typing that!

Those Seattle types are way too soft.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

At risk of turning this chortle-fest into something semi-serious, I was surprised to learn years ago that suicide rates in winter-centric places (or at least Scandinavia) tend to peak in the spring, not in the depths of winter. I lived with some Finns for a while when I was studying in Sweden, and one of them said "I love winter, I can hide in the darkness...." Solidified my belief that Finns are sort of weird.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC3824731/
"Results
Suicide rates in Finland and Sweden peak twice a year. Both men and women in both countries most often commit suicide in May. There is another peak in October, with the exception of Finnish men. These suicide peaks coincide with a temperature increase in May and the biggest annual drop in temperature in October. We also observed a monotonic long-term change in the Swedish statistics, but not in the Finnish data. Our hypothesis is that seasonal variation in suicide rates may be caused by abrupt temperature changes twice a year that trigger the activity in brown adipose tissue and deepen depression.
Conclusion
While the overall suicide mortality rates varied considerably, the monthly proportions in May did not. This finding suggests a routine factor underlying the spring peak in suicide mortality."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally love winter but haven't been able to get outside and enjoy it. Normally I'm like a kid at Christmas every time it snows (which is often as I'm in MI), but am turning into a grouchy and depressed old man of late. I was discussing it with my wife last night and came to the conclusion that I haven't skied since before Thanksgiving, have ridden the fat bike once, have yet to break out the snow shoes, etc... I can deal with the lack of sun and cold temps, but not when I'm stuck indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least I was ready for it today. I went to visit my dad Sunday, thought the snow was supposed to hit Saturday night into Sunday so thought it was done. When I came outside to go home about 7 pm I found out how wrong I was. 2 hour drive turned into 3+ of PITA.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
I've been sick of winter and snow since Christmas Eve back in December. Today ain't making my mood any better. ;-)

Move to Canada. It's nice and sunny here with no snow on the ground.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather have snow then the sleet we have had the last few storms. Snow at least looks nice and the kids can go sledding.(freedom / suburbanite version, not snowmobiles). Sleet just makes everyone miserable.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get inspired by Winter Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come to the Petoskey area. We have plenty of snow, the ski hills are wide open, and the beer is frosty. I'm always amazed at how different the snow levels are in southern Michigan compared to the tip of the mitt. Two weeks ago I was in Grand Rapids and while it was cold, the grass was showing everywhere. When I told folks there we still had 12 inches plus of snow on the ground still, they were shocked. We had a nice dumping of snow last weekend that replaced the ice-crusted snow with nice powdery stuff, perfect for XC skiing and snowshoeing.
Quote Reply
Re: They're Just Frozen Flakes of Sunshine, Right? Right? Um, Guys...? [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My family has a condo in Petoskey and I still haven’t skied since before Thanksgiving, that’s what makes it extra sad! We drove up the week of Christmas but I had a work emergency and had to turn around and drive right back the next day... I wasn’t happy! Petoskey is one of my favorite places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Fat bike. #MakeWinterGreatAgain.

Quote Reply

Prev Next