Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which brand of Latex tubes?
Quote | Reply
Which brand of latex tubes would you pair with GP4000iis 700x23 on HED Jet Black 60/90 and Disc?

Are they all basically the same or are the Vittoria, Bontrager, Specialized, or Michelin's any better than the rest?

Thanks for you recommendations!
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m using the pink Vittorias in the same setup as you. No issues. Don’t forget your rim tape though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittorias have worked well for me, use them in Vittoria Corsa and GP4000II. Main advantage is removable valve core, so can use the same tube in standard or deep rims with a proper valve extender (moves valve out to end of extender). The open-end extenders that go over the valve have always given me trouble.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of problem did the valve extenders give you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Vittoria tubes. Not a single road failure yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changing a tube on the side of the road with deep rims, I pulled out my spare tube with simple tubular extender already mounted and found the hand pump wouldn't generate enough pressure to push down the valve (which was definitely left open). Had to take the tubular extender off and push down the valve manually to free it. Has happened at least twice.

Every once in a great while when topping off a tire, I will notice that a valve needs extra force to push it open after unscrewing the lock nut; I have no idea what causes that, but it's never an issue if the valve is out at the end of the extender.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems a bit strange to me. I have been using regular valve extenders for about 31 years and have never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

While I have no data, the green Michelin latex tubes 'feel' much thinner and more supple than the Vittoria tubes. Not sure if that means anything though. I bought some Bontrager latex tubes just before IM Texas last year as they were the only ones I could find locally. I was charged about $25.00 per tube if I remember correctly. I have found the Vittoria latex for sale online for $3.99 and bought four of them. I should have bought twenty.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
Which brand of latex tubes would you pair with GP4000iis 700x23 on HED Jet Black 60/90 and Disc?
Are they all basically the same or are the Vittoria, Bontrager, Specialized, or Michelin's any better than the rest?
I've used Vredestein latex in my GP4000s for past five years (switched to Conti TT this year). Come pre-powdered, never a flat/problem and come with removable cores. Just throwing out another option
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:

I have used them all and have been on Vittoria Latex for the last many years. Although Josh at Silca is coming out with some branded latex tubes which are *pink* but have shorter valve stems which would be ideal for disc rims.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
Changing a tube on the side of the road with deep rims, I pulled out my spare tube with simple tubular extender already mounted and found the hand pump wouldn't generate enough pressure to push down the valve (which was definitely left open). Had to take the tubular extender off and push down the valve manually to free it. Has happened at least twice.

Every once in a great while when topping off a tire, I will notice that a valve needs extra force to push it open after unscrewing the lock nut; I have no idea what causes that, but it's never an issue if the valve is out at the end of the extender.

I always take a bent paperclip with me for that reason: also necessary when you want to let out rest air out of the tube, that is when the tube looses air but you can't get the outer tire off because there is still rest air in the tube.
I furthermore secure the lock nut in an open position with locktite.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Feb 6, 18 23:15
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
While I have no data, the green Michelin latex tubes 'feel' much thinner and more supple than the Vittoria tubes. Not sure if that means anything though.

Same experience here; had been using the Michelin tubes for a couple of years and then couldn't get any long-valved ones when I needed them, so gave the pink Vittoria ones a try.

I swear the Vittorias are slower and even started a thread to that effect but was politely told that the margins between different latex tubes are negligible.

I'm still waiting for them to pop so that I can replace them with some Michelins again :)
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience running latex full time. Is this possible/advisable?

It would be one less thing to "change" right before my race. I am riding pancake flat training so heat buildup in descents won't be an issue (if that is one, so I hear). Don't mind pumping up every ride so not concerned about that either.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Does anyone have any experience running latex full time. Is this possible/advisable?

It would be one less thing to "change" right before my race. I am riding pancake flat training so heat buildup in descents won't be an issue (if that is one, so I hear). Don't mind pumping up every ride so not concerned about that either.
Yes, I do. I have been running the Michelin Latex with GP4000s for years now, both for racing and training on 404FC rims and not ever had a tyre related problem. The roads I ride are the roughest crappiest gravelly pot holed debris ridden roads you have seen short of a jaunt through a smashed glass factory but it has all been reliable so far. Hills no probs either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:

I have used them all and have been on Vittoria Latex for the last many years. Although Josh at Silca is coming out with some branded latex tubes which are *pink* but have shorter valve stems which would be ideal for disc rims.

Wow, $25 per tube at Amazon right now. I need some for this season but at that price I be shopping elsewhere.

It looks like Micheline is a good deal from overseas at around $8 per tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's definitely price-gouging; the Vittorias are usually around the same price as the Michelins if not a bit cheaper.

e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/...ia-latex-inner-tube/
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect and thanks. Going to give it a shot. Trying to minimize the amount of race day changes and variables from the norm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
I run latex full time also. No reason not to. Inner tubes do not wear out. And, to your point, everything you change before a race introduces a failure risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run latex, and then carry butyl tire in case of flats (which rarely happen)

Random story. I once had a 1” nail go through my tire and get stuck in the rim. When I finally got It out, the latex tube wasn’t punctured!
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:

Wow, $25 per tube at Amazon right now. I need some for this season but at that price I be shopping elsewhere.

Thats 25 bucks for 2 tubes which is about normal price for them.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mostly Vittoria pinks with Conti GP4000IIS tires. Knock on wood, not a single flat tire in the past 4 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
svennn wrote:

Thats 25 bucks for 2 tubes which is about normal price for them.

Damn, reading fail on my part.

I can live with that price for two tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size Vittoria latex tube do I select for a 700x38 gravel tire? There road specs only go up to 25s. Is there a conversion on the 26x and 27x size tubes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My question is are latex tubes patched the same way as rubber tubes?

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

My question is are latex tubes patched the same way as rubber tubes?

Thanks.

My assumption is that most folks use latex tubes as an upgrade for slightly less rolling resistance, and probably wouldn't bother patching a damaged one for fear that it might blow during an important race and/or affect the rolling resistance...

But, to your question:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=146492
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Feb 7, 18 8:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next