Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread
Quote | Reply
Sports that involved slow twitch muscle fiber coming up at the Winter Olympics in Korea

• Nordic sking
  • Long track speed skating
  • Short track speed skating
  • Biathlon
  • Nordic Combined (well at least the ski part...this sport is insane combining fast and slow twitch....maybe like protour biking sprinters)

In theory we could include Figure Skating, Downhill, Super G, Giant Slalom and Slalom, because their duration is actually decently long enough that endurance and thus slow twitch muscle fiber does come into play.

Basically any sport that would benefit from EPO or blood transfusions should be a candidate on this thread for discussion where carryinig oxygen comes into play!!!!

Ok fire away. Halvard should be the resident color commentator on this thread. I am looking forward to the action...the time zones really suck though as most of the action is middle of nite or early morning for those of us on EST.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a lot easier to see the action in person ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
It’s a lot easier to see the action in person ;-)

Plus you are in the correct time zone. I am hoping with the 14 hour time diff to EST to Korea, some events that start before noon Korea time start at 10 pm EST,so hopefully a bunch of 9 am to noon finals going on in Korea that we can pick up on EST. For the guys in Europe, those morning finals will be no good, but afternoon/evening finals will be perfect in Europe.

Have a great time. Feel free to post pictures from being there live!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyclocross should really be in the Winter Olympics. I know the IOC has a rule about snow and ice, and I love to watch curling every four years. But CX is needs to be there too.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
Cyclocross should really be in the Winter Olympics. I know the IOC has a rule about snow and ice, and I love to watch curling every four years. But CX is needs to be there too.

Well I think you basically ruled out Cyclocross with the snow and ice part. Seriously, there are already enough cycling sports in the summer games. No need for another one in the winter. I think technically all of the winter sports have some element of sliding on snow or ice. I can't think of a winter sport that does not involve some element of low coefficient of friction on frozen water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric Heiden -1980 - won 5 gold medals in speed skating meaning he had more than slow twitch fiber development. Then again the 10k speed skating times are so much faster than running at that distance the development of aerobic system may not be primary trainging focus. One of the few posters that can say they skated with/against him in the late 1960's!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
short track=roller derby on ice. Lots of fast twitch too. I vote they leave the island

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think technically all of the winter sports have some element of sliding on snow or ice. I can't think of a winter sport that does not involve some element of low coefficient of friction on frozen water.

There's no "technically" about it; as rotosound points out, it's actually an IOC rule, written in black-and-white in the Olympic Charter:

Quote:
The Olympic Games consist of the Games of the Olympiad and the Olympic Winter Games. Only those sports which are practised on snow or ice are considered as winter sports.

I looked it up and quoted it and linked it when TheJeff started yet another change.org petition to get cyclocross or cross-country running in there, despite this obvious and well-known stipulation.

Now that we've addressed that once again, can we all stop blathering on about cycling and running for five minutes and focus on enjoying some of the minority sports that only have some exposure once in a blue moon!

I, for one, am thoroughly looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this short article in NYT Magazine this weekend captured the essence of cross country skiing (or any endurance sport for that matter):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/31/magazine/winter-olympics-cross-country-skiing.html

Key quote: "Cross-country skiing expresses something deep about the human condition: the absolute, nonnegotiable necessity of the grind. The purity and sanctity of the goddamn slog."
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [JTIP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know, yes and no. what i didn't like about that article was that it called nordic skiing the least watchable winter olympic sport. i find it the most watchable, for the very reasons the author cited. i don't want to get too picky, but it would be nice to see something in the times about nordic written by someone who understands it, and appreciates it for what is, rather than someone who doesn't get why anyone would do it, hates it, intends never again to engage in it, and doesn't see why anyone would watch it.

but the pictures were pretty, the text was professional, and i guess some coverage is better than no coverage.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the short track medal heats at Vancouver 2010. Hands down the best winter Olympic sport to watch in person (now that the NHL ruined Olympic hockey). I vote they stay on this island.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope it is the endurance sport thread. Belongs in the most watchable winter Olympic sport thread then

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rotosound wrote:

Well I think you basically ruled out Cyclocross with the snow and ice part. Seriously, there are already enough cycling sports in the summer games. No need for another one in the winter. I think technically all of the winter sports have some element of sliding on snow or ice. I can't think of a winter sport that does not involve some element of low coefficient of friction on frozen water.

If anything, I'd say fat biking over cyclocross. Since the whole point of fat bikes is for snow conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a front page article in yesterday's Sunday Times, about the widespread doping in the Winter Olympics; particularly nordic skiing.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
There was a front page article in yesterday's Sunday Times, about the widespread doping in the Winter Olympics; particularly nordic skiing.

Shhh!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XC-skiing is the most popular TV sport in Norway. Number two is biathlon.
Yes they are beating soccer.
Here you have the list
1 Xc-skiing
2 Biathlon
3 Alpine skiing
4 Team handball
5 Ski jumping
6 Track
7 Norwegian soccer
8 International soccer
9 Cycling
10 Long track speed skating

Endurance athletes are of course stars and get a lot of media attention. The same way American football players are stars here in the USA.
I have stopped getting upset over people not understanding endurance sports. Most likely they are just jealous of fit people.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could just pipe Norwegian sports tv into my tv. I guess my inability to speak Norwegian might be a problem. For now I will have to rely on your ytube updates. Whats up with the team handball?

Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team handball is a popular sport for both men and women in Europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-DXRsb3H0

In Norway the female national team is more popular on TV than the men.

It is a great sport. Hard, physical and lots of contact.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:

This was brought up during the CX World Championships coverage on Olympic Channel over the weekend

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope that skimountaineering gets back into the games. The sport is very intriguing and I've started to race it this year myself. It's so much fun. You run up mountains and then jump into hard downhills. When XC skiing is line road cycling, skimo is mountainbiking.

I was an alpine skier as a kid, turned into a (mountain) runner in my teens and now skimo fuses my two passions.

Kudos that you considered alpine skiing for endurance events. Our training 15 years ago was very versatile. Wenn did a lot of jumping and weights and coordination but we also biked and run a lot. The endurance side
of skiing is often underrated. (But I was not lacking in endurance but power)

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Last edited by: ToBeasy: Feb 5, 18 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you know, yes and no. what i didn't like about that article was that it called nordic skiing the least watchable winter olympic sport. i find it the most watchable, for the very reasons the author cited. i don't want to get too picky, but it would be nice to see something in the times about nordic written by someone who understands it, and appreciates it for what is, rather than someone who doesn't get why anyone would do it, hates it, intends never again to engage in it, and doesn't see why anyone would watch it.

but the pictures were pretty, the text was professional, and i guess some coverage is better than no coverage.

I found a new appreciation for the Nordic events this weekend... while Zwifting on Sat AM I was watching the Olympic channel and they replayed the Sochi Women's Nordic relay race (I believe it was 4x5k)... my first thought was that it was going to be a little dull to watch but left it on. And wow... that was an amazing race and some true grit and determination.... now i'm actually putting the Nordic events on the top of my list for the next few weeks. :)

Quote | Reply
Here you have a link to all world cup races in English the last years.
https://www.youtube.com/...assicSkiTrack/videos

Xc-skiing is of course not boring :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been learning to XC ski this winter; thanks for linking to the videos, plenty of inspiration there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to this

Slowman wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Winter Olympic Games Endurance Sport Thread [dutchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dutchboy wrote:
+1 to this

Slowman wrote:

another +1

nordic is my favorite winter sport to watch.. not going to get anything on NBC broadcast coverage I know, maybe a snippet of biathlon if Lowell Bailey or Susan Dunklee come through..
nice NPR story,
https://www.npr.org/...-first-olympic-medal
Quote Reply

Prev Next