Here's the GOP memo
Quote | Reply
https://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/read-the-gop-memo/2746/

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Feb 2, 18 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suffice to say, Ron Swanson would not be impressed.

Tell me somewhere, at least one Republican is embarrassed by this.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even Roger Goodell can do better than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Really? That’s what all the fuss is about?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No shit. I was kind of expecting something we didn't already know.

Now, I'm really curious as to what the Dem's rebuttal memo has to say.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reports now indicate that the Democratic members of the committee are claiming that one or more persons cited in the report had their comments taken out of context and that the synopsis of their testimony does not comport with the actual testimony given. They're apparently calling for release of the transcript.

Also interesting is that, apparently, they typically release these reports in the fashion of a SCOTUS ruling, with dissenting opinions included at the conclusion of the memo. That wasn't the case with this report.

Why not?

Last edited by: sphere: Feb 2, 18 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

Really? That’s what all the fuss is about?

Yea really.. There's nothing in it. hats what the big fight was over??? LMAO!! What a fucking shit show.

Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fucking congress is so far down the partisan hole, if the 'pubs said the dems were great people and you could trust your kids with them, the dems would immediately say they were not and they could not be trust with your kids.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess a silver lining about all this is we get to learn more about how our government works.

Like, for example, that all of the current FISA judges were appointed as such by that well known libtard deep stater Chief Justice John Roberts? Oh man, this must go really deep!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a saying that goes around law schools. I may not get it perfectly, but it goes something like this:

"When you have the truth, pound the truth. When you have the law, pound the law. When you have neither, pound the table."

To me, this seems like an obvious attempt to pound the table by the House GOP and our President. If the Special Council investigation was really just a "nothing burger" then I highly doubt that Nunes would have ever done something so drastically dumb. With criminal convictions already made and with the focus on the investigation focusing more and more on obstruction (and oh my goodness just wait for money laundering charges), this seems like a hail mary to try and garner enough political support to fire Rosenstein and to put someone in his place that would place some serious restrains on the special council. The memo release is an admission that there really is something to the Russian meddling and potential conspiracy with a subsequent obstruction of justice by our current White House (and maybe some in the GOP congress).

Also, Carter Page had FISA warrants on him dating back to 2013. A judge has to approve a FISA warrant and any renewal. The Steele Dossier wasn't even around when our intelligence agencies grew increasingly concerned about this guy. But even so, Trump and his team have said that Carter Page is not a big player in their campaign, so why so afraid?

My hope is that high-quality investigative journalism digs in deeper and that transcripts are released to help mitigate any enthusiasm for this memo - all while the special council continues to focus on the truth of what really happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I guess a silver lining about all this is we get to learn more about how our government works.

Like, for example, that all of the current FISA judges were appointed as such by that well known libtard deep stater Chief Justice John Roberts? Oh man, this must go really deep!

Here's the problem I have with the memo. Who is telling the truth? I suspect neither side at this point. If the memo is true, it is kind of troubling. However, there is nothing behind what the memo is alleging. There's no source. Nothing to make it believable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Here's the problem I have with the memo. Who is telling the truth? I suspect neither side at this point. If the memo is true, it is kind of troubling. However, there is nothing behind what the memo is alleging. There's no source. Nothing to make it believable.

Yup. In my line of work when someone says a wrong has been committed, they file a motion. They spin their chosen facts, apply their chosen law while ignoring contrary law.

Then the other side does the same thing.

Then an objective third party weighs the evidence against the law and says yes or no.

What we have here is the first act above only.

I'd no sooner believe a Nunes (ok, staff) written memo than I'd believe a Pelosi written memo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
orphious wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Yup. In my line of work when someone says a wrong has been committed, they file a motion. They spin their chosen facts, apply their chosen law while ignoring contrary law.

Then an objective third party weighs the evidence against the law and says yes or no.

I'd no sooner believe a Nunes (ok, staff) written memo than I'd believe a Pelosi written memo

And Im saying this as Trump supporter!! LOL!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I commend you for having a reasonable approach. Have to say I have never heard a Trump supporter do anything but support.

Wouldn't the fact that 3 Russians had turned Mr. Page - calling him Male 1 or even "useful idiot" - 2 of whom fed to Russia and 1 of whom is in jail, be a relevant factor for Mr. Nunes' staff to have considered as justification for the oft renewed warrant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
orphious wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

-
yes on all that, the problem is that we may not see the dem memo (they will probably see no reason after the reception this partisan piece gets), and will not see anything in the way of the FBI being transparent. That last bit is the real problem; with the FBI known for over-classifying documents, FISA courts being used what appears to be excessively (bypassing the normal warrant process) and no real congressional oversight, no way to get at the truth, they have utter control of everyone in every way. The IG is our only hope for some sunlight. Speaking of which, the left is usually all for spilling govt secrets, and libertarians are usually very much for sunlight to ensure govt is operating uprightly. All these folks seem really quiet, and that's the real danger of having a guy so widely hated as POTUS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Well, I commend you for having a reasonable approach. Have to say I have never heard a Trump supporter do anything but support.

Wouldn't the fact that 3 Russians had turned Mr. Page - calling him Male 1 or even "useful idiot" - 2 of whom fed to Russia and 1 of whom is in jail, be a relevant factor for Mr. Nunes' staff to have considered as justification for the oft renewed warrant?

I thought I read the FBI had issued a FISA warrant on Page before he was even involved with the Trump campaign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Fucking congress is so far down the partisan hole, if the 'pubs said the dems were great people and you could trust your kids with them, the dems would immediately say they were not and they could not be trust with your kids.

This.

And it's hilarious to me reading liberals here saying this is nothing and conservatives on another site I visit saying this is proof of conspiracy.

My personal opinion, FWIW, is this is about what I expected -- a partisan attack being partisan defended and I know not a lot more than I did yesterday. I do wonder why the Dems fought so hard to keep this from coming out. That, to me, looks worse than anything in the memo.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt Dems got played a little bit here, pubs had nearly a week to puff of their chest, claim corruption corruption corruption at that FBI and DOJ before they even offered "proof". On the other hand, the memo was then released and basically didn't show any corruption. Seriously, it shows none. Page hasn't even been charged with anything. In a weird way, pubs would have been better off if the memo wasn't actually released as they could continue to sell this false narrative.

All that being said, Nunes managed to open a new precedent whereby the minority members and opinions of a committee are excluded in totality. All the power is effectively rolled up to the committee chair and fuck everyone else. Ryan refused to check such power and now this will be the new norm. Also, agents may now be less willing to seek FISA warrants, thereby slowing intelligence gathering and poking gaping holes in major line of defense. I don't think that benefits America.

Claiming partisan politics here implies that the truth is equally in between both parties. I think its pretty damn clear there is a party that is more right and a party that is more wrong in this mess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So, taking this memo purely at face value, is nobody the least bit concerned that a US citizen was spied on by US intelligence based completely on evidence paid for political opponents?

Again, I'm just reading what's in the memo, and FBI Director Wray has gone on record as saying what's in it has been cherry picked and taken out of context, but assuming there is at least some legitimacy to this, I am a bit bothered by the notion that one could use information gathered for political purposes to spy on a US citizen inside the United States.

George

Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

Claiming partisan politics here implies that the truth is equally in between both parties. I think its pretty damn clear there is a party that is more right and a party that is more wrong in this mess.

You're a little more comfortable with this whole dossier thing and how it was used than I am if that's how you feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's the GOP memo [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you taking it at face value, given all that we know, all that we don't, and the undeniable motive of POTUS to discredit and derail the Mueller investigation through this vehicle?

I'm certainly not, and with good reason. I'll save my outrage for when the truth is discernable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Are you taking it at face value, given all that we know, all that we don't, and the undeniable motive of POTUS to discredit and derail the Mueller investigation through this vehicle?

I'm certainly not, and with good reason. I'll save my outrage for when the truth is discernable.

Well, that's why I'm not claiming outrage at the moment, just some concern. Like I said, if there is any truth to this (which perhaps there is not), regardless of the motive of the POTUS at the moment, if the rules of the FISA court were abused for political advantage, that ought to concern us all.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

So, taking this memo purely at face value, is nobody the least bit concerned that a US citizen was spied on by US intelligence based completely on evidence paid for political opponents?

Again, I'm just reading what's in the memo, and FBI Director Wray has gone on record as saying what's in it has been cherry picked and taken out of context, but assuming there is at least some legitimacy to this, I am a bit bothered by the notion that one could use information gathered for political purposes to spy on a US citizen inside the United States.

George

I have not read the dossier at all. No idea what is in it. If what they did was take information in there at face value without corroboration, yeah, that is a problem. But if what they did was use information that they had good reason to believe is true, then they don't need to really worry all that much how the person who developed it went about the gathering. And I have no idea which way this goes, so it could be really bad, or it could be nothing to worry about, or somewhere in between.

I can find evidence of wrongdoing and pass it along to the cops. It could be evidence that the cops couldn't have otherwise seen without a warrant. That doesn't mean the cops shouldn't use it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next