Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cure for the common cold. [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have a virus and have been off training since Saturday 20 January, when I pulled out of a half ironman race because I felt so rubbish. I'm doing ironman NZ at the beginning of march and am meant to be in the middle of big training. did a short run on tuesday when i was feeling better, but then felt worse on wednesday, so am not going to do anything until i feel 100%. so frustrating!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cure for the common cold. [Renuka Shinde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renuka Shinde wrote:
Tom Demerly wrote:
There is none. That was a catchy headline to get you to read this thread. I've had a cold for 8 days now. It is pissing me off but with the help of Slowtwitchers from a previous thread I used a fusillade of therapies to truncate the duration of this malodorous affliction.

- For whoever recommend "Emergen-C", that seemed beneficial.

-As I mentioned before, so did the okacet tablets. At least it has shortened the cold. It is 90% gone.

-My massage therapist did a "chest pack" yesterday that caused me to have two hours of coughing fits where I dislodged some nasty matter. That made me much better. That helped a great deal.

-I managed to not gain any weight despite not training for the last week. Thankfully. I have been eating very little.

-I saw an ad on TV that said Sudafed is more effective than prescription decongestants. Who said commercials don't work? I bought some the next day. I think it helped break the cold's back.

-Water, sleep, etc.

Thank you again to everyone who leant advice. Much appreciated as always.

there are numerous natural treatments that can be just as effective as treating the common cold, with the proper tools and remedies you could not only reduce the life span of a cold, you can also prevent your children from catching a cold in the future as well.Vitamin C is one of the most effective natural home remedies for colds because it increases the production of white blood cells, and can also help prevent the multiplication of viruses while reducing mucus and inflammation in the nasal passageways.You can take vitamin c pills but other foods that are surprisingly packed full of vitamin C include oranges, cauliflower, lemons, broccoli, strawberries, cabbage, peaches, kiwi, tomatoes, and parsley.

As many mothers probably already know, the key to curing any type of cold is to drink lots of fluid. Of course this can come in the form of water or juice, but tea is a hot liquid that can help prevent the drying of your child’s throat and nose. Drinking tea is also another popular, natural home remedy for treating flus because it can help prevent dehydration as well.
Chamomile and green tea specifically can be extremely effective in treating a cold because like other teas they act as an antioxidant which can help remove any toxins in the body as well as bacterial infections.
Garlic contains antiseptic properties that could help protect the immune system against a common cold, and scientific studies have shown that the allocine contained in garlic can also act as a stimulator of white blood cells. The oil in garlic also helps open up the respiratory passages, and if taken in soup form it can help flush out all the toxins in your child’s system and also bring down a fever as well.
Boil three to six cloves of chopped garlic in a cup of water, and have your child drink the liquid in a soup form and drink it two to three times a day.

Effective implies that it works. All of the studies on Vitamin C and tea show that they are NOT effective. Though there may be a placebo effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Cure for the common cold. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Tom Demerly and All,

Yes, Tom, there is a Santa Claus.

The good news is that if your infection is an adenovirus there is a preventative vaccine .... probably too late now though ...

The bad news is that the vaccine appears to be unavailable to civilians. (Any old buddies still on active duty?)

Maybe get a job with DOD as a consultant .....................

Sorry to hear you are sick. Being sick sucks.

I have had a viral chest cough for about 3 weeks now and it is finally going away .... and I am debating how soon to hit the gym.

During the course of the infection I took Tamiflu as a prophylactic as I was caring for someone with the flu.

At one point, not sure if it was a bacterial infection (some greenish snot in morning), took a Z pack antibiotic.

I have not got the flu yet but the Z pack looked like a wasted shot in the dark as it made no difference.

=========================

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4475643/

Excerpt:

Adenovirus Vaccines and the Military: Lessons Relearned

U.S. military scientists at the WRAIR in collaboration with NIH investigators led the way in the development and testing of adenovirus vaccines in the mid- to late 1960s (627, 628), culminating with the implementation in 1971 of a safe and very effective program that dramatically decreased ARD rates among recruits (629, 630). These oral vaccines effectively controlled adenovirus-associated respiratory disease in recruit training camps for almost 3 decades (until 1999), when remaining supplies were exhausted after the manufacturer (Wyeth Labs) ceased production in 1994 (94).

Although there was considerable discussion about the need to resume production or find a new source, administrative mechanisms by which to fund a new FDA-approved manufacturer could not be found. In addition, the enormous success of the adenovirus vaccine in controlling adenovirus disease among recruits may have lessened any sense of urgency regarding the need to replace the adenovirus vaccine. Following the loss of adenovirus vaccine production and exhaustion of remaining supplies, adenovirus-associated febrile respiratory disease promptly returned to pre-vaccine-era levels (79).

Vaccine restoration efforts finally began in 2001 with a decision by the Army Surgeon General to fund a new production contract. The old vaccine constructs were provided by Wyeth Labs, and Army contracting selected Barr Labs as the contractor to build a new facility and obtain FDA approval of the replacement oral Ad4 and Ad7 vaccine, which was to be as close a replica of the Wyeth Labs products as possible. A new facility was built, and new equipment was used to formulate the oral vaccine product.

Finally, in late October 2011, after 12 years of efforts, the oral Ad4 and Ad7 vaccine was again given to all U.S. military recruits. The impact was dramatic, with an extreme drop in the numbers of Ad4 and Ad7 cases as well as non-Ad4- or non-Ad7-associated cases (Fig. 2) (631).

A recent estimate by NHRC investigators attributed adenovirus vaccination with a 100-fold (99%) decline in adenovirus-associated disease burden (from 5.8 cases per 1,000 person-weeks in 2000 to 2011 to 0.02 cases per 1,000 person-weeks in 2012) as well as with the estimated prevention of one death, ∼13,000 clinical adenovirus illnesses, and 1,100 to 2,700 hospitalizations each year among U.S. military recruits (107).

Looked at from a cost standpoint, while it took ∼$107 million over 10 years to reinstate this vaccination program (632), it is estimated that the annual cost savings will be ∼$20 million; therefore, this program would have paid for the initial development and production investment within 5 to 6 years, clearly a highly successful and military-relevant endeavor.

And don't forget your dog ...............

More good news .... if you start getting well ..... it feels so good ...... it is almost worth being sick.

Good luck and get well soon.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next