Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for the week: 4 swims, 2 bikes, day off from running, 2 run workouts.

I got the bike rides in! I got sick toward the end of the week (Scored a 100 on the thermometer on Friday woo hoo) so didn't push the pace at all.

M: 5.5 mi run, 2 mi walk (Salt Lake)
T: 8.6 mi run (back in OK)
W: 5.5 mi run + 1225 yd swim
T: 7.2 mi run + 875 yd swim
F: off
S: 7 mi easy run + 9.3 mi bike
S: 31 mi bike

bike miles for the week > run miles for the week!

goals for this week: recover from lingering cold. Run workout if I can get un-sick. Swim 5x, bike twice. Continue my 6-day streak of no eating issues :D

Hope everyone is doing well.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am well Dr TC. Hope you kick that colds butt this week!

My goals were swim x 3, bike x 3, run x 2, first XC ski lesson, strength x 2 and I did it all*. * because I did bike x 3, but didn't finish the 3rd workout. Other than that it felt like a busy week. Had fun at a play/musical on Saturday night (http://catalysttheatre.ca/...yst-presents-onegin/) - friends of ours invited us and although I was sceptical I landed up enjoying it immensely.

This week I have the same goals + get our citizenship applications in the mail + get prepped for my dad's visit (he arrives at the end of the week).

I am struggling to get to early bird swim on Monday mornings. This is the second week in a row where both our alarms have gone off and we've just gone NOPE. And this is after going to bed early last night. I have everything ready to go, I just didn't want to get out of bed. Suggestions for making it happen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning was a NOPE on getting out of bed early. I feel it. I have no suggestions though.... I think our bodies just say NOPE sometimes. Just don't let it become the norm!

Good week last week. Great, actually.

Pool Swim x3
Bike x2
Run x3

I actually went to the POOL at 7am three times last week. This has been earth shattering. I'm liking it okay. It is working for my current overloaded schedule for now. I do miss my OWS but my schedule just hasn't accommodated it lately. ...I really though I had biked 3x, but my calendar says otherwise. Oops.

Running. I'm broken. My left calf has been balling up when I'm NOT running - like in the middle of the day. And then I'm hesitant to go out for a run for concern of turning it into an injury. I'm going to go to the massage therapist to get it worked out. I think it will help a ton. And I really just want a massage anyway. I'm turning to concrete with all this sitting. UGH.

This week I'm fixing to do my 3x swim with masters (finally plunked down the $$ for it today), 3x bike - maybe 4x, and 3x run. I have a 13.1 in 3 weeks so inching up the mileage after letting it drop over the holidays.

I also started doing yoga (at home with YouTube). WOW is that ugly. Pathetic. Downright laughable. I guess I need to do it more often.

In better news, I'm slowly shedding (and keeping off) the 28 pounds I've been working on loosing. Currently 165 aiming for 141. 24 more to go.

Rock on, Women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally - a full week of being able to train. Still coughing, but much better. My ear infection seems to be gone. I had a little over 6 hours of bike/strength/yoga. Hopefully I'll get back in the pool this week.

Mon: 14 minutes trainer; 0.7 mile walk; 15 min weights (the “test things out” day)
Tue: Bike 7.1 mi (30:30); trainer 10 min in the evening to hit my 700 cal burn goal
Wed: Bike 8.3 mi (32:11)
Thur: Trainer 11 min; strength w/o (55 min)
Fri: Bike 10.4 mi (43:00)
Sat: Strength w/o (1:10)
Sun: Yoga (1:20) – definitely need to get back to this

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Suggestions for making it happen?

A reward if you do - treat yourself to a latte or whatever after.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a great week last week. I think I am going to need to dial it back a bit until my knee gets better (fissure in my articular cartilage). It was hurting again by Friday -- not as badly, and it never locked up, but it was painful to walk at times over the weekend and just standing in my kitchen yesterday. Doing anything lateral at PT Friday hurt and even my homework got downgraded from sumo walks and hip flexor strengthening to stretching only. On the plus side, I did more rehab last week than prehab for the entire year of 2017, and I even made it to the pool once. I think I am going to limit working out to pull buoy swims and upper body stuff for now. Maybe easy spins but no more Trainer Road workouts. I do have a boxing bag at home I used when I had a tibial stress fracture, so I do have options.

Scheherazade, I don't have any suggestions for you. I deliberately don't schedule Monday morning workouts for that reason. Haha. Although I like Dr. Tigerchick's suggestion of treating yourself to a latte or something afterward.

In other news, an indoor velodrome is opening down the street from me and I am irrationally excited to check it out. I bought tickets for Saturday night. Apparently it is only the third indoor velodrome in the country??? I have never been and don't know a thing about the style of racing but I am expecting it to be fun. I have been to a few crit races and those are always exciting.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice job on the weight loss. You totally deserve a massage; I hope it helps your calf.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Womens! Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, get well soon.

Scheherazade, I think the occasional "nopes" are okay -- sometimes you just need the sleep. I know runners who sleep in their running clothes to remove one more obstacle, maybe you can sleep with fins and goggles on? But seriously, I like the idea of treating yourself to something nice after making it happen -- a fancy coffee would do it for me.

SLO, I felt like an uncoordinated goofball at yoga at first but I've grown to really enjoy it. I hope you stick with it and that your calf feels better.

Welcome back ironclm and nice work!

Last week, my goals were TBD ("Probably a bunch of swimming and hopefully some easy biking and maybe even easy running if things continue to improve the way they are at the moment.")
In positive news, I swam and biked -- I've never done either of those things so soon after one of these incidents so that's really positive and encouraging.
Unfortunately, I'm not running or lifting yet and I'm on a lot of meds -- my heart feels like it's always racing and my HR was sky high on the bike. I go back to the doctor on Friday and will also go to physical therapy that day too.

I'm done feeling bummed and all things considered, I'm pretty optimistic. Or at least forcing myself to focus on the positive :D

This week is another TBD. I'm traveling for work but have found a pool near my hotel -- I'm hoping that I can swim once or twice and that I'll feel up for a little running. I was very proud of myself for getting on the trainer for an hour before my 7AM flight this morning.

I hope everyone has a great week of training.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
In other news, an indoor velodrome is opening down the street from me and I am irrationally excited to check it out. I bought tickets for Saturday night. Apparently it is only the third indoor velodrome in the country??? I have never been and don't know a thing about the style of racing but I am expecting it to be fun. I have been to a few crit races and those are always exciting.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So jealous!!! Track racing is my true love!!! My friend Dale built this and another friend went up to help finish it up and got to ride on it. There are many types of races but it looks like they are having the Madison (teams of 2 race against all the other teams of 2 and you "sling" your partner into the race - very exciting to watch!). Then there is the scratch race which is a crit on the track - x number of laps and the first one across the line wins. Last is the elimination, aka devil takes the hindmost or miss & out. That is pretty much musical chairs on bikes - start and ride x number of laps, then each lap after x, the last person across the line is out. That one is fun to watch and get get a little janky if you're in the back.

Like I said - jealous!!! That is the #1 thing I hate about having to move to TN. Giving up my track racing.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - Oooh, I like this idea. A latte is part of my morning routine already so I will have to think of something else. Maybe if I make a month of Monday swims I can buy myself the limited edition nespresso capsules!

MM - when it comes to swimming, my options are the limited lap hours the local pool offers or drive an hour (each way) to a nicer pool with better times. My local pool is also free to me (firefighter perk!) and the other pool costs about $10/visit. I save the other pool for an occasional treat rather than a regular thing. ALSO, sorry to hear it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. It's tough to be in that situation.

SoCal - great picture of you in the pool; glad to see you are not letting the injury get you down!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this sounds even more fun than I expected! Thanks for the explanation on the events, that will help me follow along. And how cool that your friends worked on it!!!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like lots of good workouts from the womens this week. Did anyone notice that MK is holding strong on a top ten position in the 100/100?

Quote:
Downright laughable.

SLO, it's funny that you say that about yoga. I used to literally burst out laughing during yoga class as I observed myself in these absurd, contorted position I had no business being in. The laughter was not appreciated. Hope your calf calms down. I woke up yelling this weekend with a calf cramp--usually it's the back doing that. Keep up the good work on the weight loss. I've got 15 pounds of winter weight to lose myself.

SoCal, that HR racing stuff sounds awful. I hope that settles down.

Got in 7 runs and (finally) 3 bikes. No swimming last week but finally got to the pool today. I felt more like a turtle than a fish.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to hear about your optimism, SoCal! That's nice to hear-- we KNOW we have great things in our future. Sometimes we need a reminder!

Last week was great for me, with several 3 and 4 hr bike rides and steady running. I forgot to find a pool, but that's ok.

This week my motivation is gone! What happened?!? Bribing myself with a latte usually works, so I'll try that. And maybe I'll let myself have a more mellow week.

So many folks are sick in Poway, my new hometown. I hope Tigerchik and Ironclm rest up-- you'll be strong again after you kick the illnesses. Store up your desire to train & use it when you're healthy!

Maybe roll your calf, SLO? I've been pleased with what rolling has done for me.

My goals for this week are short-ish, steady, consistent biking & running. No heroics or super-big workouts. I will qualify for a latte with each run.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CalamityJane88 wrote:
Poway, my new hometown.

You need to come to the womens camp!!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 22 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally want to!! I need to discuss it with my hubby. Yay!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mostly Happy Update: I went for a run. I was very careful and did a nice easy pace on a flat path. I felt fine during and after, just a little stiff which is normal after not running for a bit.

What was not normal was my heart rate -- it was bananas. I averaged 20+ bpm higher than it would be usually be on a run like that (of similar pace/temp/elevation) and the cardiac drift was crazy too, I ran the same pace the whole time at a pace that would usually be low aerobic with little drift -- by the end of this run my HR was in my super threshold.

I felt like I was working harder but not super threshold hard. It's gotta be the new meds, right? I have a call into my doctor about this and won't run or bike again at any intensity until I make some sense of this.

(Oh, and it's not my heart rate monitor because I've now tested my resting with 3 different strap/monitor combos and all of them are around the same very high bpm).

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply