Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2?
Quote | Reply
I'm finally purchasing a new TT bike. I compete in 1/2 and full distance triathlons, and after being properly fitted I've narrowed it down to the 2018 Cervelo P3 (Di2), Felt IA 3 w/Di2 (2017), and 2018 Felt IA 2. The P3 and IA 3 are the same price; IA 2 about $1500 more. I typically rent wheels for my races depending on course and I'm comfortable with that. I'm curious as to thoughts on fastest bike, if the IA 2 is worth the extra $$$, etc. I'm a 70.3 WC qualifier now focusing on qualifying for Kona. TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [kevinbsauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which one do you like more?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aesthetically I like the IA2, IA3, and P3......in that order. However I'm gladly get the P3 if I felt is was going to be a better/faster bike for me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [kevinbsauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Felt's come with the Storage Box on the back. The P3 won't have that. How do you plan on carrying a flat kit?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had the Felt I'd use the bike box in the back; P3 I'd just tape the spare under my water bottle holder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High probability the Felt is faster. The P3 is more like the Shiv in the wind tunnel, whereas the Felt is more like the P5 in the wind tunnel. (The Felt is slower than the P5, but it is closer than the P3.)

As far as I2 vs. IA3, it is just parts and that draft box. $1,500 is a ton of coin for the draft box, because Ultegra Di2 is about the same price as SRAM eTap. But, that draft box is cool. I love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would take the Felt over the P3 any day. The storage is a big plus. It is probably a little faster, and it just looks cooler.

I would go ETap over Di2 any day. It is so nice to get rid of wires, internal battery, and junction boxes. SRAM really caught Shimano napping on the wireless group.

The one thing you should check on rental wheels is tire/tube combination. I am betting they just stick a butyl tube in there. Latex tubeless or tubeless would save you more watts than the difference between the P3 and the IA. There should be a Slowtwitch slogan like "Latex tubes. Don't leave home without them"
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything you said. eTap and an IA is a good combo. The P2/P3 just needs storage updates and it will be a much better bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think that's coming? Clearly storage was a big focus for the p5x and for pure time trialists they have the p5. Seems like it'd make sense to move the p2 and p3 more towards pure tri with integrated storage because that's who buys it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Cervelo is smart, then yes. If not, then Felt and others will sell more than Cervelo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I agree with everything you said. eTap and an IA is a good combo. The P2/P3 just needs storage updates and it will be a much better bike.

Out of interest, why do you say etap and IA is a good combo? As in, is there a reason etap is better than di2 for an IA??
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just think eTap is a better way of doing things then Di2

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am planning to upgrade my IA16 to Di2 my road bike to eTap. I like aspects of both. The one big reason for Di2 on the Felt is the humongous blip box. I could find a home, but it would always be exposed on the IA. On the other hand, I can hide nearly everything with Di2 on the Felt. The road bike has external cabling, so wireless is the best choice, plus, no blip box on a road bike.

Soon I will have both and can give first-hand comparative commentary.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'd definitely give the nod to etap for the road bike if no internal wiring.

I briefly had etap setup on a tt bike. Yup, that blip box if huge. And while I'm sure it's not -that- bad to deal with, I really didn't love the idea of two batteries that had to be removed on a very regular basis to be charged. I also didn't love the feel of the blips, though the clics were awesome.
Di2 is just so freaking reliable, the battery charge lasts forever, so many choices for parts and widely available as individual parts (not always so with etap!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Minor thread hijack... but I am looking forward to having both systems so that I can compare. I have been a lifetime Shimano guy, and my bikes currently have a mix of DA, Ultegra, and 105 mechanical parts.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I am planning to upgrade my IA16 to Di2 my road bike to eTap. I like aspects of both. The one big reason for Di2 on the Felt is the humongous blip box. I could find a home, but it would always be exposed on the IA. On the other hand, I can hide nearly everything with Di2 on the Felt. The road bike has external cabling, so wireless is the best choice, plus, no blip box on a road bike.

Soon I will have both and can give first-hand comparative commentary.

The blip box on my IA1 is currently in the frame, underneath the Calpac ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P3, 2017 Felt IA 3 w/Di2, or 2018 Felt IA2? [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
Yep, I thought about that. But I would have to periodically pull it out to replace the battery. And it would mean 4 wires going from the cockpit into the calpac. With Di2, I can hide very wire so that just one wire goes from cockpit to frame. And, with the Di2 EW-RS910 Junction A in an extension, I would never have to disassemble anything to reach the Junction A. Now, if SRAM ever makes integrated TT brake levers like their road levers that would eliminate (almost) all wires and the Blip Box, I will probably switch to eTap.

My eTap kit for my road bike arrives today :) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
hopper1 wrote:

Yep, I thought about that. But I would have to periodically pull it out to replace the battery. And it would mean 4 wires going from the cockpit into the calpac. With Di2, I can hide very wire so that just one wire goes from cockpit to frame. And, with the Di2 EW-RS910 Junction A in an extension, I would never have to disassemble anything to reach the Junction A. Now, if SRAM ever makes integrated TT brake levers like their road levers that would eliminate (almost) all wires and the Blip Box, I will probably switch to eTap.

My eTap kit for my road bike arrives today :) :)

Yes, always pros and cons...
I'll route my wires through the risers, into bars, then shrink wrap to keep it neat from cockpit area to calpac. The battery change is a yearly affair, and I'll do that prior to season start.
Quote Reply