Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again!
Quote | Reply

I know, I know, we are supposed to let the Canucks start all the Trump threads, but I came across an article this morning and had to share.

production-of-the-ram-heavy-duty-is-returning-to-the-united-states.html

Ram heavy duty pickups have been made in Mexico for a long time now, the Cummins engine is manufactured in the US but the rest of the truck is assembled in Mexico. According to the Italian CEO of Fiat Chrysler, due to the new tax law that the Trump admin got through, they will be moving manufacturing of the trucks back to Michigan. They are investing a ton of money in the Michigan plant to get it up to speed, will be creating 2,500 new jobs in the Detroit area, and will be giving $2,500 bonuses to 60,000 of their US employees. All thanks to the new tax law.

Alright, go ahead and call me a ball washer and explain to me how this is a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
I know, I know, we are supposed to let the Canucks start all the Trump threads, but I came across an article this morning and had to share.

Ram heavy duty pickups have been made in Mexico for a long time now, the Cummins engine is manufactured in the US but the rest of the truck is assembled in Mexico. According to the Italian CEO of Fiat Chrysler, due to the new tax law that the Trump admin got through, they will be moving manufacturing of the trucks back to Michigan. They are investing a ton of money in the Michigan plant to get it up to speed, will be creating 2,500 new jobs in the Detroit area, and will be giving $2,500 bonuses to 60,000 of their US employees. All thanks to the new tax law.

Alright, go ahead and call me a ball washer and explain to me how this is a bad thing.

It's about time American companies move manufacturing back to the states. The foreign car companies have been doing it for years. Thanks Obama!

Does that work?

Seriously though, think is most definitely a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

It's about time American companies move manufacturing back to the states. The foreign car companies have been doing it for years. Thanks Obama!

Does that work?

Haha good enough, but you should find a way to credit Hillary, Warren, or Oprah. Obama's day is done.

Curious to see how it does for their sales. I own a 2006 Ram with the Cummins, assembled in Mexico. I bought the truck for the engine and the cab configuration, but a lot of guys that buy bigger trucks care a lot about where things are made. The Cummins is a big reason a lot of people choose the Ram truck, but I have read plenty of complaints about the rest of the truck being made in Mexico. A US made truck with a US made Cummins should sell well in the target demographic.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    and Wal-Mart is increasing wages and benefits for employees, and black UE is lowest in history, and I read somewhere it looks like Apple will repatriate 200B to the US, and all those companies giving raises or bonuses, and people's economic confidence is at level not seen since 1990, etc. There are several things going very well for the US right now, so it's kind of a split story out there if you look at a POTUS under siege, layoffs at brick and mortar going up, job losses at Carrier (where Trump claimed to have saved them. Most people are looking at one side or the other, not both. My take is that most of what Trump has brought, with the exception of Trump himself (and an inexplicable tolerance for racists), is net plus for Americans,
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
and Wal-Mart is increasing wages and benefits for employees, and black UE is lowest in history, and I read somewhere it looks like Apple will repatriate 200B to the US, and all those companies giving raises or bonuses, and people's economic confidence is at level not seen since 1990, etc. There are several things going very well for the US right now, so it's kind of a split story out there if you look at a POTUS under siege, layoffs at brick and mortar going up, job losses at Carrier (where Trump claimed to have saved them. Most people are looking at one side or the other, not both. My take is that most of what Trump has brought, with the exception of Trump himself (and an inexplicable tolerance for racists), is net plus for Americans,

There was a piece on Marketplace on NPR last night. It took the (semi-cynical) view that WalMart was forced to raise wages because of the low unemployment rate (that darn supply/demand relationship). Since they "had" to raise wages, they decided to ride the Trump tax cut wave.

WalMart also announce they're closing 63 Sam's Club at the cost approx 9500 jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
dave_w wrote:

There was a piece on Marketplace on NPR last night. It took the (semi-cynical) view that WalMart was forced to raise wages because of the low unemployment rate (that darn supply/demand relationship). Since they "had" to raise wages, they decided to ride the Trump tax cut wave.

WalMart also announce they're closing 63 Sam's Club at the cost approx 9500 jobs.
-
heard that this morning about Sams. Probably some under-performing ones, but they are going to turn some into distribution centers, so more of a move to combat Amazon getting everything online, and on the losing brick and mortar side of adjustment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are investing a ton of money in the Michigan plant to get it up to speed, will be creating 2,500 new jobs in the Detroit area, and will be giving $2,500 bonuses to 60,000 of their US employees. All thanks to the new tax law.

The problem of course is that the large manufacturing plants, including Ford and GM, have very long lead times and long-term planning. In 2009, GM announced that they were going to invest $21 billion in the U.S., and most of that hasn't even been invested yet. They announced a further $2.9 billion investment in the U.S in 2016, long before Trump was elected.

To suggest that they would suddenly (and 1 year with these companies is very sudden) turn around and change all their long-term investment plans because of Trump shows that people don't really understand how large companies operate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
dave_w wrote:

-
heard that this morning about Sams. Probably some under-performing ones, but they are going to turn some into distribution centers, so more of a move to combat Amazon getting everything online, and on the losing brick and mortar side of adjustment.

I'd like to see more data, but my local Sam's is closing - the only one in my state. It always seems empty. The nearest Sam's now is in Hudson, NH. The nearest Costco is 30 miles away too.

But BJ's headquarters is 5 miles down the road. The two nearby are always packed.

Year over year, Walmart stores is up 0.8% profit for Q3
Sam's is up 15.9%
They lost money overseas
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
They are investing a ton of money in the Michigan plant to get it up to speed, will be creating 2,500 new jobs in the Detroit area, and will be giving $2,500 bonuses to 60,000 of their US employees. All thanks to the new tax law.

The problem of course is that the large manufacturing plants, including Ford and GM, have very long lead times and long-term planning. In 2009, GM announced that they were going to invest $21 billion in the U.S., and most of that hasn't even been invested yet. They announced a further $2.9 billion investment in the U.S in 2016, long before Trump was elected.

To suggest that they would suddenly (and 1 year with these companies is very sudden) turn around and change all their long-term investment plans because of Trump shows that people don't really understand how large companies operate.

Because of Trump no, because of corporate tax changes. It only takes as long as it takes their accountants to do the math and then the execs to look at the long term out look. These companies taxes are stupidly complex, but I’m sure there are ones that the tax difference turned it into a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Because of Trump no, because of corporate tax changes. It only takes as long as it takes their accountants to do the math and then the execs to look at the long term out look. These companies taxes are stupidly complex, but I’m sure there are ones that the tax difference turned it into a no brainer.

until the next admin comes in and changes the tax code.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I don't know that it is automatically better for things to get manufactured in America versus any other country. Those decisions are deeply strategic and personal for each and every company that makes them. At some level it's really best to regard that arena as "none of our damn business". Nevertheless, if those decisions were overly distorted by a corporate tax rate significantly out of sync with the rest of the world's taxation policies, then I take it as a good sign. That particular government caprice is no longer unduly influencing important economic dlecisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Yeah the article says $1bil being invested in Michigan to get trucks coming out of that factory by 2020. Bit smaller scale than a $21b investment move. But 2,500 jobs in Detroit is a good thing IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

Does that work?

For years the most American truck has been Toyota. Both in terms of parts manufacturing and assembly. Ford has had a lot in both Mexico and Canuckistan.

Assuming the Fiat guy is telling the truth (and you have to take it with a grain of salt), if I were a corporation I would be reluctant to make big moves yet based on the tax changes. Presidents change and parties change and tax policies change. I'd give it a while to become entrenched.

But well paying jobs in the US are rarely going to be a bad thing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

Does that work?

For years the most American truck has been Toyota. Both in terms of parts manufacturing and assembly. Ford has had a lot in both Mexico and Canuckistan.

Assuming the Fiat guy is telling the truth (and you have to take it with a grain of salt), if I were a corporation I would be reluctant to make big moves yet based on the tax changes. Presidents change and parties change and tax policies change. I'd give it a while to become entrenched.

But well paying jobs in the US are rarely going to be a bad thing.

primarily 3 items corporately were just changed relative to the OP

1) corporate rate from 35% to 21%. Conceivably admins could change and these rates could go right back to where they were. But it would require wholesale change of 3 areas to get it to pass. And even then we have seen how that works in trying to repeal ACA. And you would have to "win" on a platform of effectively doubling the corporate tax rate. But I grant you this is an operating decision
2) Sec 179 on how much a company can write off of new cap ex. Was $500,000 now $1,000,000 per year
3) depreciation/write off of cap ex (that which isn't written off immediately in 2 above) goes from basically a complicated system over many years to 5 years (over simplistic but point is very accelerated).

if you repeal/change 2 or 3 it will take effect for things that were not placed in service or committed to be placed in service before a particular date after change

my point is if you are going to make big moves now is the time to do it. Not wait until it has the potential to change. Despite Sanuk's belief that big companies don't/wont make and implement decisions quickly based on these changes, if I were you I would look at your willingness to "take advantage" of these things from a different perspective.

When you add in the amount of pent up demand there is for growth in companies (after a long recession, regardless of the reasons you make for it), and the cash available of some balance sheets (or the prospect of rising interest rates if you don't have cash and have to borrow) I think the next 24-36 month change is going to be significant.

If you have the ability to lock in financing for a plant addition and machinery over 5-15 years of LT financing at <5% (depending on loan or bond) and have the ability to write the bulk of the investment off against profits over 5 years or less (with the remaining profits you haven't written things off against now taxed at 21 vs. 35 %) and you were planning a business for the next decade, IMO you would be making and implementing decisions as quickly as possible.

EDIT: by the way IMO these are exactly the changes that should have been made in conjunction with the bank bail outs in 2008 (along with more stringent rules for banks to begin to lend money) vs. the stimulus and shovel ready jobs plans implemented by the previous 2 administrations. IMO this would have made our recovery faster and steeper than it was.
Last edited by: ironmayb: Jan 12, 18 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in a 2017 3500 Cummins. You’re also on the Cummins diesel forum, aren’t you?!

It’s my 4th consecutive: 1999, 2005, 2012, 2017. I shoot led never have sold the 05. Happy manufacturing is coming back to the Detroit industry that who saved in 2009? Who was that again?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
I’m in a 2017 3500 Cummins. You’re also on the Cummins diesel forum, aren’t you?!

It’s my 4th consecutive: 1999, 2005, 2012, 2017. I shoot led never have sold the 05. Happy manufacturing is coming back to the Detroit industry that who saved in 2009? Who was that again?

Haha yep, I am over there as well. Keeping my 06 Mega Cab until it turns to dust. Or it gets high enough in value to tempt me to sell. With the 6 speed manual, mega, and 5.9 Cummins, she is a rare bird and been going up in value. The new trucks are tempting with the extra power, amenities and the fact they aren't earth shattering loud. But seems like there are too many owners of newer trucks that wish they kept their old truck.

And it was the Italians that saved Chrysler in 09. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 05 was longbox 5.9 diesel, 4x4 6sp stick and spotless. Every ranch within a 5 state radius will want your truck.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
My 05 was longbox 5.9 diesel, 4x4 6sp stick and spotless. Every ranch within a 5 state radius will want your truck.

I went to a dealer a few months ago looking for a new daily driver car, was test driving a Mercedes and the guy asked if I had anything to trade in. The winter beater at the time was a 97 Lexus GS300 so I said "nothing you would pay me for" and he agreed. So he asked if I had anything else at home I wanted to trade. Said I had my truck but he couldn't have it. After he got all the specs his eyes got huge and he said, "I could walk inside right now and get 20-30 guys here in the next hour to bid on your truck!" I have been tempted to sell a few times, but my wife adamantly refuses, she is pretty sure I will regret it if I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I went to a dealer a few months ago looking for a new daily driver car, was test driving a Mercedes and the guy asked if I had anything to trade in. The winter beater at the time was a 97 Lexus GS300 so I said "nothing you would pay me for" and he agreed. So he asked if I had anything else at home I wanted to trade. Said I had my truck but he couldn't have it. After he got all the specs his eyes got huge and he said, "I could walk inside right now and get 20-30 guys here in the next hour to bid on your truck!" I have been tempted to sell a few times, but my wife adamantly refuses, she is pretty sure I will regret it if I do.

looks like we got a couple of coal rollers cruising the tri forum for their next victims :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

-
https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/an-inconvenient-truth-it-was-george-w-bush-who-bailed-out-the-automakers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Slowman wrote:

-
https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/an-inconvenient-truth-it-was-george-w-bush-who-bailed-out-the-automakers

http://www.politifact.com/...automobile-industry/

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
dave_w wrote:
Slowman wrote:

-

http://www.politifact.com/...automobile-industry/
-
I'm with you on that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toyota and Mazda just announced their choice of Alabama for their new car plant, bringing over 4,000 primary jobs to the state, and an estimated 15,000 secondary jobs in area like suppliers, schools and support services. This is the first time that Mazda has decided to build a plant in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: Manufacturing coming back - America will be great again! [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
Toyota and Mazda just announced their choice of Alabama for their new car plant, bringing over 4,000 primary jobs to the state, and an estimated 15,000 secondary jobs in area like suppliers, schools and support services. This is the first time that Mazda has decided to build a plant in the U.S.

What great news for Alabama and America.
Quote Reply

Prev Next